Can't get digital-output audio on games, but it works with films and cds!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM

Default Can't get digital-output audio on games, but it works with films and cds!!!

Hi

I was hoping someone could help me with this really frustrating problem concerning the digital (optical) output of audio from the PS3.

I have my PS3 connected using the optical ouput, to the my PC's creative sound card and then to my PC's 6.1 sound system. I also have the PS3 set to output via the "optical output" in the settings and all the sound types are selected. I also have the correct BD audio settings are being used (Linear somet or other).

Now this works perfectly for BD films, normal DVDs and music CDs and I get wonderful, clear sound for all compared to the stereo speakers on my HDtv!!!!

The issue is when playing games on the PS3 because it refuses to play the game sound through this setup and I get No sound at all unless i switch back to using HDMi sound and using my rubbish stereo speaker.

You can imagine how much id rather play GH3 or Wipeout HD with nice surround sound then stereo!!!!

Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 PM

I'd ensure that your settings were the same on optical out for both Games and BD. If you've selected Linear PCM, or Dolby Digital - use the one that you already know works (with your BD settings) and apply them for the game settings.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
I'd ensure that your settings were the same on optical out for both Games and BD. If you've selected Linear PCM, or Dolby Digital - use the one that you already know works (with your BD settings) and apply them for the game settings.
Well I can only go by what my system is doing...

1) I know both Linear PCM and B work for sound because with my BD output set to either I can hear the tick noise when moving between buttons on screen.
2) BD films only work using Linear PCM with my setup (dunno why, possibly imcompatably with my creative sound card) and not B.
3) Neither DVDs or Games sound work either with Linear PCM or B (ive tried changing between the two endlessly)!
4) Ive tried ticking and unticking all the sound options when choosing "optical output" in the sound options and it changes nothing.

Im just completely stumped, because like yourself I would have thought Game sound would work if the BD sound was working, but it doesnt on my system.

I can only think my sound card isnt compatable with something, but if it works with linear PCM on BD films there is NO reason it shouldnt work with DVDs or games either.

PS3 > Optical output > Creative sound card on PC > 7.1 sound system.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Uh, I think I remember reading that you can't have the highest setting checked if using pcm is it 96K? Something about that.. maybe give that a try? Sorry, I'm not around my PS3 or I'd check the settings I'ma using...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekedoutfish View Post
PS3 > Optical output > Creative sound card on PC > 7.1 sound system.
Optical cables only support 2-channel PCM, so if you say that BD movies work with that set-up, then the PS3 is down-mixing the soundtrack into 2-channel PCM. And it sounds like your sound card does support 2-channel PCM then.

You say you tried unchecking everything in the audio menu? Did you also uncheck the box for DD5.1 and DTS? If you did then the PS3 will send everything out as 2-channel PCM and you should get audio for games and DVDs also.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasp View Post
Uh, I think I remember reading that you can't have the highest setting checked if using pcm is it 96K? Something about that.. maybe give that a try? Sorry, I'm not around my PS3 or I'd check the settings I'ma using...
Ooo i got it working... seems my sound card doent like DD or any of those boxes ticked.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
Optical cables only support 2-channel PCM, so if you say that BD movies work with that set-up, then the PS3 is down-mixing the soundtrack into 2-channel PCM. And it sounds like your sound card does support 2-channel PCM then.

You say you tried unchecking everything in the audio menu? Did you also uncheck the box for DD5.1 and DTS? If you did then the PS3 will send everything out as 2-channel PCM and you should get audio for games and DVDs also.
Aye ive just found out my sound card doesnt like DD5.1 or DTS.. it works fine with ACC or what ever that one is! Cheers for the help everyone
Old 12-15-2008, 04:03 AM

I have one question

If I am playing a BluRay movie, I select Dolby Digital as audio output, in the digital audio settings of the PS3

However, if I want to play a game, I need to uncheck Dolby, and it works ok

So my question is, who is the responsible for making my game work in Dolby?

My sound card (or, my 5.1 sound system), or the PS3 itself?

Because from what I know, even if I hook a PS3 directly to my 5.1 sound system, I only receive 2 cables, white and red, left and right, and the 5.1 surround system is the one that actually converts the movie to 5.1 with Dolby

So, I will really appreciate if you can clear that confusion for me

Am I playing BluRay movies in 5.1 and games in 2 channel, or is my sound blaster the responsible one for the 5.1 surround sound?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafarataneneces View Post
I have one question

If I am playing a BluRay movie, I select Dolby Digital as audio output, in the digital audio settings of the PS3

However, if I want to play a game, I need to uncheck Dolby, and it works ok

So my question is, who is the responsible for making my game work in Dolby?

My sound card (or, my 5.1 sound system), or the PS3 itself?

Because from what I know, even if I hook a PS3 directly to my 5.1 sound system, I only receive 2 cables, white and red, left and right, and the 5.1 surround system is the one that actually converts the movie to 5.1 with Dolby

So, I will really appreciate if you can clear that confusion for me

Am I playing BluRay movies in 5.1 and games in 2 channel, or is my sound blaster the responsible one for the 5.1 surround sound?

Thanks
I had to do two things to get my audio to work probably on the rig I have described in this thread....

1) Untick the Dolby Digital and the DTS boxes (because my PCs sound card cant handle those two).
2) Set the optical output to bitstream in the video settings (because my sound card was unable to decode linear PCM with games or something).

...how ever I use an optical output and it sounds like your using audio leads for left and right channel? Not sure of the technical term.

Is the PS3 or your sound system giving your a choice as to whether you can use Bitstream or Linear PCM as the sound output type?

If either does.. try using Bitstream and it may fix your problem.

Also, does the audio on both your films and games work if you untick both Dolby and DTS? It may be your sound system cant handle one or both and you may need to simply not use them.

You only really have three sound options on the PS3 to change...

1) The type of sound output you use (i.e optical or audio leads etc).
2) The type of sound format to use (i.e DD, DTS and the rest where you tick boxes).
3) Telling the PS3 whether to use Bitstream or Linear PCM for optical output in video settings.

...just make sure your sound system can support all the ones you use in number 2, and whether you can change number 3 either on the PS3 or your sound system.

I found number 3 is the main issue for me!!!

Does your sound system have an optical input btw?

If it does i would recommend using it. I manage to get 5.1 sound from both films and games on my system via the optical output and the sound is great (even if its not DD or DTS).

I managed that as described above in earlier posts.

Its great for Guitar Hero!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM

Ok

I found the bitstream that you told me, makes no difference

If I select Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch, DTS 5.1 CH and AAC, and I play a movie, I can hear the movie in my PC

However, if I want to play a game, nothing.

I tried Smackdown vs Raw 2009, and the game says Dolby Digital on the box

So the game itself should support Dolby Digital

The funny thing is, why can I hear sounds from movies, and not from games?

If I uncheck Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS and AAC (bitstream or linear makes no difference), then I can hear my PS3 on my PC

And, the Dolby Digital is done by the soundcard. I receive a stereo signal, and the soundcard converts it to Dolby Digital

but I would like to play with the Dolby Digital directly from the game

And this happens with every single game