Harddrive swapping between laptop and PS3. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Default Harddrive swapping between laptop and PS3.

I'm a broke ass college student with a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with a 160GB harddrive (or it's advertised as such) and a 60GB PS3 harddrive that is becoming full. Since the PS3 works with laptop harddrives and I wanna save money, I would like to know if swapping the harddrives would work.

The reason I'm unsure is formatting. Obviously Windows likes harddrives formatted in NTFS and the PS3 likes things in FAT32. Swapping the NTFS harddrive isn't the problem because I'm sure the PS3 automatically formats stuff into FAT32 but I'm not sure if my laptop will automatically format the FAT32 harddrive into NTFS.

First, correct me if I am incorrect with the above. Second, what will I need in order to do this transplant? I know I need a screw driver, but will I need my driver disc? I've backed up my laptop on my roommate's USB harddrive. Will I be able to get windows going again just by having it?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM

You need a 3rd hard drive (external, USB) to do this. Internal hard drive is not FAT32, so to format it for your laptop you'll have to delete the existing partition(s), and format NTFS. Use the backup utility on PS3 and backup to an external hard drive, insert new hard drive, then use backup utility to restore from the external hard drive. That's the PS3 side of things.

With the Dell you can download all drivers from their website. Depending on the backup you have, you may need your Windows disc.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:45 PM

Well, judging by the questions you've asked, your best bet is to just buy another hard drive for your PS3 or just move files off of your PS3 onto that USB drive your roommate has.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
You need a 3rd hard drive (external, USB) to do this. Internal hard drive is not FAT32, so to format it for your laptop you'll have to delete the existing partition(s), and format NTFS. Use the backup utility on PS3 and backup to an external hard drive, insert new hard drive, then use backup utility to restore from the external hard drive. That's the PS3 side of things.

With the Dell you can download all drivers from their website. Depending on the backup you have, you may need your Windows disc.
Can the PS3 format to NTFS or is it the laptop that's gonna do that?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 PM

The PS3 uses a different file system then FAT32 for its INTERNAL drive. It supports FAT32 external drives. Trying to do this is going to cause you way more issues then you are going to want to get yourself into. I know you say your strapped for cash but you can a 160GB 2.5" sata drive for $45. It would certainly make things a lot easier on you.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...=ST9160827AS-R
Old 09-29-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
The PS3 uses a different file system then FAT32 for its INTERNAL drive. It support FAT32 external drives. Trying to do this is going to cause you way more issues then you are going to want to get yourself into. I know you say your strapped for cash but you can a 160GB 2.5" sata drive for $45. It would certainly make things a lot easier on you.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...=ST9160827AS-R
$45, nice. Not real sure on the specs of the harddrive but is this thing any good as far as it's specs? And have you ever bought from them before?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
$45, nice. Not real sure on the specs of the harddrive but is this thing any good as far as it's specs? And have you ever bought from them before?
I've never bought from them before. Just got that info from pricewatch real quick (great place to find good deals on computer stuff). As far as specs are concerned I'm pretty sure all you need is a SATA drive that is 5400RPM. I'm not sure if 7200RPM is going to buy you anything since all PS3's ship with 5400RPM SATA drives. I also found this drive on Amazon (obviously a respectable dealer). 250GB for $81. As far as brands go I would probably try to stick to Seagate or Western Digital although Hitachi or Fujitzu don't make bad drives either.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...2719215&sr=8-1
Old 09-29-2008, 04:31 PM

I'm skeptical of buying things online to start with, and am even moreso of places I've never bought from. I'm like an inch away from doing it but I'm gonna give it more time. I'm gonna wipe Linux off of my PS3 and that'll free up 10GBs.

I'm definitely wanting to upgrade the capacity, though.