Fracture demo due on Sept. 18 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 PM

Default Fracture demo due on Sept. 18

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/10/br...ue-on-sept-18/
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM

I was going to start a thread on this yesterday, but I figured someone else would - thanks masterX. I don't know on this one, initially I thought the idea sounded good and I like a good FPS, even a sketchy one if it is playable and the right modes/features are there.

This looked initially like a AAA title when I first heard about it - at least that was my impression, but after watching the developer diary on it, hearing the one dev say.. people are going to want to play this just for the terrain deformation.. I thought UH OH. at the same time he was saying this, the screen behind him was showing the game being played and it looked pretty lackluster. It looked like R:FoM but with more blues/greens and yellows. I Liked R:FoM when it came out, the scope, story/storytelling and innovative weapons were really compelling. I think if it came out now though, I'd pass.
Developers need to look at gimmicks as icing on the cake, not the cake (except in rare instances, where the cake is a lie etc)

I think I'd like to see the demo, perhaps the visuals have improved, but the character models looked worse than R1 in the cutscenes (that's pretty bad - Conan anyone?!) This gen I'm finding that the demos usually turn me away from getting the game far more than purchase them - this may be different though - we'll have to wait and see.

I saw as a reader comment somewhere (neoGAF or Kokatu, quarter to three forums etc?) the prediction that this game would be this seasons "Timeshift" I could see that...
Old 09-11-2008, 11:49 AM

It's looking like it's relying on that terrain deformation as a crutch or gimmick too much.

Shooters rarely get me excited.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 AM

Oh man you think so bro, I think the game looks awesome. The mutiplayer looks like it's gonna be a blast.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM

I like a good shooter, but that (for me) requires a good story... I guess we'll see how this one plays out.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 AM

Its out now.

Its fun, its cool how you can raise or lower the ground to help you reach building or give you cover.

Last edited by Master X; 09-18-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:39 AM

I gave it a try on PS3 yesterday. The visuals were much better than I was expecting. That is to say that I had really low expectations, and this looks passable but not interesting. The ground raising and lowering, interesting weapons etc was kinda neat, but I can't see myself playing it unless it was co-op or split-screen. If so, then I doubt highly that I'd ever play it by myself. Army of Two is like that for me, only ever played it co-op, never even tried it on single player...

Overall, I give it a "meh" and think that the gimmicks are too gimmicky!
Old 09-19-2008, 03:12 PM

I downloaded it last night and will try today. On another note, I got around to playing Pure last night, and thought it was pretty terrible. Will be a pass for me.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM

Badger - I thought so too. I am finding that demos this gen are turning me off of games more than they are turning me on to them...
I sure hope that FarCry2 isn't baaaad.... The level editor holds some serious promise (I hope!)
Old 09-19-2008, 03:40 PM

I suppose that's true, but when you demo a game you're curious/excited about, and the demo is fun, that is an insta-buy.

With battlefield, I wasn't excited, and was thinking it was a meh. But after the demo, I purchased it (I was one of the few people that liked the demo I guess). So in that case, it was beneficial for them to have put out a demo when it came to my purchase.

Goes both ways - and demos are good because it doesn't allow them to sell us garbage games, based on blind-buys