Netflix on PS3... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Formerly mgillespie

Default Netflix on PS3...

http://www.themediamall.com/playon

Quote:
PlayOn enables consumers who own a PLAYSTATION 3, Xbox 360, or HP MediaSmart TV to watch Internet video from sites including Hulu, CBS, YouTube, ESPN and more on their television. We have just released PlayOn Beta. Netflix support is just down the road, and the fully featured release will be coming shortly!
Obviously this is cheaper than the 360 offering, as you don't need to buy a Gold subscription AND a Netflix subscription like the Microsoft offering, only the NetFlix subs.

Nice...
Old 08-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreen View Post

Obviously this is cheaper than the 360 offering, as you don't need to buy a Gold subscription AND a Netflix subscription like the Microsoft offering, only the NetFlix subs.

Nice...
Sounds good to me, but I doubt Microsoft will make Gold a requirement for much longer if Sony is going to make it free to access.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreen View Post

Nice...
Smackdown is up there ^
Old 08-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Thats pretty cool, but one cool thing that the 360 will have is that you can invite others who do not have a netflix sub to watch a tv show or movie from your own 360 with you.. Throw in that you can chat it up while watching The Office and that feature is gold, but this is great and will surely make Microsoft respond.. Competition is usually the best thing for the consumer, so in the end we all win..

EDIT: well I am wrong, I just read up on the whole NetFlix/360 union and you can invite others but only if they have a sub also.. I coulda swore I read only one of the party members needed one, oh well.. I have both so its no big deal I guess and it saves me from buying a Roku box..
Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 AM

Hmm, I wonder if TVersity is working on something like that. I love that program. Would kinda like to avoid having two similar programs installed.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Watcher of stances

still kind of pointless as it's all in SD and the selection is mostly crap unless you like TV sitcoms
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 AM

It's pointless because if you're a subscriber to Netflix you can already stream movies off of their site. Unfortunately the selection of movies you can stream as of now is not that impressive.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham31004 View Post
It's pointless because if you're a subscriber to Netflix you can already stream movies off of their site. Unfortunately the selection of movies you can stream as of now is not that impressive.
The point is YOU CAN STREAM MOVIES TO YOUR TV!

BTW - PC Streaming is not available for Mac users (like myself).
Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
The point is YOU CAN STREAM MOVIES TO YOUR TV!

BTW - PC Streaming is not available for Mac users (like myself).
Not only on your TV but you will be able to actually get decent sound while viewing as well..

Right now I am streaming my NF to my HDTV via VGA and have the 2 channel audio out to my HTR. Its ok for now, but it would be soo much easier to do this through my 360 or PS3 and without having to buy that Roku box, the last thing I need is one more component to place and hook up..
Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM
HDD Contributor

Has anyone actually tried the PlayOn thing?

I gave it a shot, but it's pretty spartan right now. There's YouTube stuff viewable, as well as ESPN content, but NetFlix and CNN are empty with big "Coming Soon" icons, and unfortunately for me, Hulu and CBS weren't viewable outside the USA, so I have no idea whether there was content in there or not.