FFXIII Versus in game screenshots - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-17-2008, 08:47 AM

FFXIII Versus in game screenshots

I understand they are scans hence the low res & grain;

Old 08-17-2008, 12:24 PM

If those are in-game renderings and not pre-renders, those are fantastic... Utterly fantastic...

Oh man, I'm chomping at the bit for this game...
Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
HDD Contributor

This is just me being a cranky old gamer but...

Am I the only one that wishes Squenix would go back to character designs that were more reminiscent of Yoshitako Amano? I still remember their attempts at trying to replicate his wispy character designs in the earlier FFVI remakes and such on the PS1 and I've always been a sucker for his work. Nomura is just getting a little too overexposed for my taste these days.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:23 PM

I rather they go back to their Steampunk style. That too me still isn't overused yet.

It get rather boring seeing the series get more and more realistic looking. Really, it's boring to see the majority of games go that way.

Yes, I would love to see Amano's work again. I love Amano. However, they'd need to have a more "stylized" world in order to use him. I think the whole realistic/less fantastic look of the modern series doesn't lend itself well to Amano.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Yes, I would love to see Amano's work again. I love Amano. However, they'd need to have a more "stylized" world in order to use him. I think the whole realistic/less fantastic look of the modern series doesn't lend itself well to Amano.
Yeah, that's definitely the tricky part to bringing Amano's work into 3D. His style really maximizes the beauty of traditional techniques for that more wispy, ethereal, brush-work look that's an enormous pain in the ass to render with CG where everything has to be a 3D object. I don't know how they'd pull it off with the current state of 3D animation, but I'd love to see it. Maybe if they explore a bit more that canvas engine that SEGA is using in Valkyria Chronicles perhaps.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I rather they go back to their Steampunk style. That too me still isn't overused yet.

It get rather boring seeing the series get more and more realistic looking. Really, it's boring to see the majority of games go that way.

Anyone read the new EGM where they talk to all the original square cats and they ask them all what would be your "dream project" and they all say to work with "so and so / original crew" again.

Here's hoping! Maybe MS will wise up and throw them money for a Mistwalker IP!