Full games for download on PSN... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Formerly mgillespie

Default Full games for download on PSN...

Looks like PS3 is leading the way.

We already have the following full games,
  • Warhawk
  • GT5 Prologue
  • Siren:Blood Curse.

Very soon PSN wil get:
  • Ratchet And Clank Quest For Booty
  • Burnout Paradise

Burnout Paradise is coming for the bargain price of $29.99. How cool is that??? who cares about 360 installs, when you can simply download the full game, including latest patches, play it from the PS3 hdd, for a digital distribution price!!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...coming-to-psn/

I would imagine GameStop and the other highstreet retailers who have been ripping people off for years are a bit upset about this, but it's great news for consumers, and sure to be a growing trend, where there are less middlemen and no media distribution costs.

I doubt we will see all game heading this way, as things like MGS4 are simply too big and better suited to Blu-ray, but the smaller games, in particular multi-platform where the HDD-less 360 has to be catered for, PSN digital distribution sounds pretty neat.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:40 PM

I just refuse to buy full games from now on without a disk. I've had to reinstall Warhawk around 3 times now, and it ususually takes me a couple hours to get it downloaded and installed.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM

Downloaded games have zero resale value. If I don't like it, then I'm screwed. With a physical disc I can return/exchange/resell it.

Arcade/PSN titles don't bother me because they are usually under $15, and are games that really aren't that complicated. Not too mention there's a pretty good demo that showcases the game.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:32 PM

I'm kind of iffy on this. Certainly, having more options is great. So far, I've bought all my games on disc as I physically like owning it if I can. But I'm considering some downloaded full games, because I have a 320gb hdd -- and I get sick of switching game discs.

Who knows, I'll probably bite on a digital game soon
Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 PM

You can buy full first gen xbox games on XBL fyi
Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
HDD Contributor

I picked up Siren. No regrets on that as the game was a decent length and I didn't have the patience to wait for an import. I've only ever sold back two games in my entire life (Silent Hill 4 and Suikoden 4) the rest I usually keep in the collection, so for me reselling isn't an issue as long as I'm satisfied with the game, and with Siren I am.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Former Member

shoeless, my advice then, is to not buy download copies of 2 games: Silent Hill 4, and Suikoden 4. just thought i'd try and help

i do agree w/ twonun, though. i run through most games and sell 'em after i get tired of 'em. so this would be an issue for me, and i prefer having hard copies of things too. still it's progress and a good step.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Downloaded games have zero resale value. If I don't like it, then I'm screwed. With a physical disc I can return/exchange/resell it.
Which is the reason why developers are going to continue to shift in this direction as much as they can. Publishers and dev's alike are getting sick of seeing massive chunks of potential sales go to the likes of gamestop.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:33 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
shoeless, my advice then, is to not buy download copies of 2 games: Silent Hill 4, and Suikoden 4. just thought i'd try and help

i do agree w/ twonun, though. i run through most games and sell 'em after i get tired of 'em. so this would be an issue for me, and i prefer having hard copies of things too. still it's progress and a good step.
That is good advice, and I will definitely follow it if Konami ever got serious enough with the PSN to finally put some freakin' games on there.

I WANT MY SUIKODEN 1 AND 2.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Which is the reason why developers are going to continue to shift in this direction as much as they can. Publishers and dev's alike are getting sick of seeing massive chunks of potential sales go to the likes of gamestop.
If the public doesn't buy into it, then they won't be selling it.

A physical product has a certain "quality" to it. I can hold it, caress it, cherish it, love it, abuse it, lose it, ruin it, rent it, sell it...it's mine.

I have no qualms with GS making money off of used products. It's no different then me selling my used car, or home, or dog, or child. No different.

They can bitch about after market sales all they want...it doesn't phase me. I wonder how many of those developers have bought used vinyl, cd's, dvds...or ever went to a freaking yardsale. If they ever did any of those things, then they have no reason to bitch.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.