360 Disc Drive - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 AM

Default 360 Disc Drive

I don't want this to become a bickering rant so fuck off if you want to troll this.

I often have to open and close my disc drive for a game to start. It keeps saying Unplayable Disc. After opening and closing like 10 times the game finally starts and it's fine once it does.

Lately it's gotten worse and it's a fucking pain in the ass. I think the console might be dirty but I hesitate to open her up because I have a few months left before my 3 year RROD waranty is done.

Does anybody have any ideas? Should I try one of those discs that supposedly clean a drive?

As I said, it's strange... once the game is loaded, it plays flawlessly.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 AM

Is it still under warrentee? I would have MS replace it if it is.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 AM

Not for that. I bought the thing on the 360's launch day.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM

Which disc read error comes up?

Is it the entire screen with all the languages or the one with a small blade pop-up on the right side?

If it's the blade, it's a problem with the disc.

If it's the language screen, it's a problem with the console.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
Which disc read error comes up?

Is it the entire screen with all the languages or the one with a small blade pop-up on the right side?

If it's the blade, it's a problem with the disc.

If it's the language screen, it's a problem with the console.

No... you know when you pop in a disc... in the game blade, at the bottom where it says, "Reading"....

It will say, "Reading" for maybe 5 seconds, then it says "Unplayable Disc".

Now I can get it to work by continually opening and closing the drive, but it's a pain the ass to sit there and open, close, open, close, open, close etc....
Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 AM

Hmmm, have you tried running a DVD cleaner through it? Your unit is old enough that it might actually help... At the very least if nothing anyone posts helps and the problem starts to degrade you could always opt to purchase an upgraded 60GB Pro next mo at reduced price.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Hmmm, have you tried running a DVD cleaner through it? Your unit is old enough that it might actually help... At the very least if nothing anyone posts helps and the problem starts to degrade you could always opt to purchase an upgraded 60GB Pro next mo at reduced price.
Is that one of those discs with the fibres on it so that when it spins it supposedly cleans the drive? Do those really work?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
No... you know when you pop in a disc... in the game blade, at the bottom where it says, "Reading"....

It will say, "Reading" for maybe 5 seconds, then it says "Unplayable Disc".

Now I can get it to work by continually opening and closing the drive, but it's a pain the ass to sit there and open, close, open, close, open, close etc....
How many different games does it do this on?

When I fist bought Battlefield, I got the blade error I spoke of. And when I went to dashboard and tried to play it again it would say "Play disc" instead of the name of the game. And it would come up "Unplayable disc" as you say.

In my case it was the game. I went to the game store, got it swapped and never had that problem since.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
How many different games does it do this on?

When I fist bought Battlefield, I got the blade error I spoke of. And when I went to dashboard and tried to play it again it would say "Play disc" instead of the name of the game. And it would come up "Unplayable disc" as you say.

In my case it was the game. I went to the game store, got it swapped and never had that problem since.
All of them. Although some like Soul Calibur 4, NGII or Devel May Cry load after opening or closing it only once or twice... sometimes never...

Others like Command & Conquer 3, Enchanted Arms, Condemned 2 etc.. I would be happy to actually play... it might take me like 30 tries to make it work.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Sounds like it's the lens.

I would try the lens cleaner like suggested, there could be a piece of something sitting on there. Plus they're cheap.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest either taking it apart to clean it, or forcing a RROD. (Shhhhhh)