Does the PS3 have a memory issue? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 PM

Default Does the PS3 have a memory issue?

I told one of the engineers at my job about the PS3 having no memory to work with and he basically told me that the Cell processor is so fast that it doesn't need a lot of memory it's just that the developers aren't programing games properly etc.

He basically said programmers aren't really using all the cores and processing power of cell. They're using one or two cores to handle all the processing etc. I can't explain any further.

The way i'm putting it is very generic, but he made me understand.

He's not a programmer at all so it's hard to believe what he says, but he's very smart so I tend to believe some things he says.

He's Mechanical and Electrical Engineer.

Thanks for the info
Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Watcher of stances

the memory "issue" is wildly overblown.

in basic terms, RAM holds data waiting on the CPU.
with a fast CPU (or multiple fast CPU's), the wait is diminished. hence, a smaller amount is required.

how much is enough? that's the magic question.

look at games like uncharted that possess zero load times.
memory doesn't seem to an issue once the architecture is learned.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 PM

Does the PS3 have enough memory to make programers life easy?

No. Programers are lazy and allways want more memory.

Does the PS3 have enough memory to max out the CPU and GPU

No... and Yes. Depends on the code and how tight you write it for what purpose. Its not going to like having huge textures thrown around or trying to handle huge huge chunks of data where its all called in a disorganized mess. If you can write real clean code where you work on things in a logical order and use the fast speed of the memory to keep the flow up, then it works fine.

Does the PS3 have enough memory to be what Sony wanted it to be?

No. Sony got hosed by the 360 launching far sooner than it A. should have. and B. Sony thought MS could launch it. This left Sony rushing the PS3 perhaps upto a year sooner than they wanted to launch it. Fast memory at the time was STILL expensive enough that doubling the memory would have put the PS3 even DEEPER in the hole on production costs. Do you think the 20gig PS3 would have sold at $599 and the 60gig at $699 just to double the memory it had?

Does the PS3 have enough memory to get the job done?

YES. No question. As stated its rough on the developers who want the luxury of the memory a PC has, but its enough to get 1st rate games to have the 1st rate graphics.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 AM

The biggest issue is that most things aren't coded for multi-threading.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Formerly mgillespie

PS3 has the same amount of memory as the 360. sure it's not as flexible as the 360 configuration, but to counter that 256MB of the PS3's memory is 3.2Ghz XDR and massively faster than th 500Mhz GDDR3 the 360 has, the other 256MB in the PS3 is also GDDR3 but 700Mhz
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM

Of course memory is a big issue. A CPU can -only- talk to memory. Yes a faster CPU can alleviate it somewhat, but you can only process as much as is on the memory. You can increase CPU speed, add multi-core processors or increase bus speeds as much as you want, but you will still be limited to how much memory you can work with.

The PS3's memory is harder to manage since half is for the RSX and the other half is main memory. The O/S also hogs a lot more of the main memory than the 360 does. It's some what alleviated by the fact that the PS3's memory is of a higher quality and therefore much faster.

This gen should of had 1GB of memory. It would have made a big difference.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Of course memory is a big issue. A CPU can -only- talk to memory. Yes a faster CPU can alleviate it somewhat, but you can only process as much as is on the memory. You can increase CPU speed, add multi-core processors or increase bus speeds as much as you want, but you will still be limited to how much memory you can work with.

The PS3's memory is harder to manage since half is for the RSX and the other half is main memory. The O/S also hogs a lot more of the main memory than the 360 does. It's some what alleviated by the fact that the PS3's memory is of a higher quality and therefore much faster.

This gen should of had 1GB of memory. It would have made a big difference.
I agree. Memory is cheap, would have added like $10 to the cost of the PS3 to add 512MB of DDR2 that could just sit there and pre-cache and basically be a solid state drive between the hard drive/disc and the CPU. They could have even made it expandable so that you could stick 2GB or so in at your own expense for faster load times and better performance.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmonkey View Post
I agree. Memory is cheap, would have added like $10 to the cost of the PS3 to add 512MB of DDR2 that could just sit there and pre-cache and basically be a solid state drive between the hard drive/disc and the CPU. They could have even made it expandable so that you could stick 2GB or so in at your own expense for faster load times and better performance.
Yes... and the results would be larger levels, more variety in textures and enemy models.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
I told one of the engineers at my job about the PS3 having no memory to work with and he basically told me that the Cell processor is so fast that it doesn't need a lot of memory it's just that the developers aren't programing games properly etc.

He basically said programmers aren't really using all the cores and processing power of cell. They're using one or two cores to handle all the processing etc. I can't explain any further.

The way i'm putting it is very generic, but he made me understand.

He's not a programmer at all so it's hard to believe what he says, but he's very smart so I tend to believe some things he says.

He's Mechanical and Electrical Engineer.

Thanks for the info
What he says is true to an extent however that said a large amount of memory is still a good thing to have because you'll always certain large persistant objects in memory, like game textures etc....

But, at the end of the day both consoles do their jobs and provide hours of high def gaming fun so why worry about it so much?