GTA IV in Hot Water in Thailand - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 PM

Default GTA IV in Hot Water in Thailand

All I can say is wow, maybe some people really shouldn't play video games. I can't see how any video game would make you want to do something like this. It is a shame that a few very unstable people give video gamers a bad rep like this.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/896/896109p1.html

Quote:
UK, August 4, 2008 - The distribution of Grand Theft Auto IV in Thailand could be halted following the confession of a teenager who claimed he robbed and murdered a taxi driver while trying to recreate a scene from the game. According to Reuters, Thai game distributor New Era Interactive Media has requested that shops pull the game from their shelves following the incident, with the company offering to replace it with other games should they co-operate.

An 18-year-old high school student is in custody after Thai police arrested him on Saturday night when he was found driving a taxi backwards down a Bangkok street with the wounded cab driver in the backseat. If the teenager is found guilty of robbing and murdering the 54-year-old cabbie he faces death by lethal injection.

The youth, who has been described as an obsessive player of Grand Theft Auto, apparently confessed to the crime as a result of playing the game, with chief police investigator Veeravit Pipattanasak adding: "He said he wanted to find out if it was as easy in real life to rob a taxi as it was in the game." However, according to newspaper reports the suspect admitted he didn't mean to kill the driver, but stabbed him to death when he fought back.

Whether the ban of the game will be enforced across the whole of Thailand remains to be seen. Meanwhile, Rockstar declined to comment on either the ban or the murder.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Formerly Pakman3000

What is the world coming to when you can't play GTA in country that thrives on sex tourism, bargirls and ladyboys. LOL
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
All I can say is wow, maybe some people really shouldn't play video games. I can't see how any video game would make you want to do something like this. It is a shame that a few very unstable people give video gamers a bad rep like this.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/896/896109p1.html

this is not Rockstar's fault IMO. Like you said, there are very unstable people who get influenced by anyone or anything they see.
In the case of people under the age of the mature rated games, those parents have to make sure their child wont repeat whatever they see in a game such as GTA4... if the parents allow their child to play M rated games in the first place.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Wow this is just messed up some people are just nuts holy hell
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 PM

That game was lame anyway. I got bored in 10 minutes.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Banned

Does anyone else find it more disturbing that he is instantly liable for lethal injection? Thats crazy that capital punishment is applied so easily.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastGenius View Post
Does anyone else find it more disturbing that he is instantly liable for lethal injection? Thats crazy that capital punishment is applied so easily.
I'm not personally a fan of the death pentalty my self, so it's sad for me to hear.... Though I guess for countries with such (strict) laws it would make sense... Real shame, I can't begin to imagine why in gods name someone would throw away their whole life just to recreate a sceen out of a video game...
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Grand Theft Auto shouldn't be banned just because of one kid who wanted to do something reckless. Not everyone gamer has that mentality, I don't know why a lot of people, especially people into politics, seem to think so. Also, the boy is pretty damn young. What a waste of life, just throwing the death penalty at him. I think what needs to be banned is the death penalty. And others who enjoy playing Grand Theft Auto in Thailand shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of another.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 PM

He murdered an innocent man. Why shouldn't he suffer the same fate? Should you throw him a party and let him go? Is locking him in a cage for 60 years really a more humane sentence? If he is ever released, the odds are very high that he would commit violent crime again. Society is better off without him.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshoes View Post
He murdered an innocent man. Why shouldn't he suffer the same fate? Should you throw him a party and let him go? Is locking him in a cage for 60 years really a more humane sentence? If he is ever released, the odds are very high that he would commit violent crime again. Society is better off without him.
He was also a stupid kid that didn't actually intend to kill that innocent man... Yeah I do feel for the victem's family and for the victem but personally I just don't support the death penalty in this (or well any) case... I wouldn't even if I was the victem and was in some way able to actually voice some sort of opinion on the matter from the grave (Owiji bord anyone lol!)