PS3 Rock Band wireless stratocaster...? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM

Default PS3 Rock Band wireless stratocaster...?

Just a quick general question out there to the PS3 owners here. I was wondering if they make a "native" wireless controller (strat) for the PS3... I and my bro in law (to be) both picked up rock band over the weekend for our respective consoles... I got the 360 version which was packed with the wired stratocaster and a USB hub but I ended up not needing the USB hub since I was able to pick up a native wireless strat. He got the PS3 one which apparently is packed with a wireless strat which I"m told requires a dongle.

His PS3 is the 40GB version which only has 3 USB ports, so he called me yesterday inquiring if there was a way to get all four controllers going on his PS3... Assuming that the PS3 rock band controllers are also USB like the 360 one (assuming the controllers are USB like 360) I just told him to pick up a USB hub somewhere and be done with it... But that got me thinking, if I remember my rock band history correctly wasn't the story that they initially didn't do wireless on the 360 platform due to stupid licencing issues with microsoft? I'm glad to see the native wireless controllers now (even though I ended up with one wired on as a result of past issues) but I can't for the life of me figure out why they just don't come out with a native wireless controller (particularly since the wireless interface is bluetooth) for the PS3 assuming there isn't one...

So for PS3 forum members, is there a native wireless strat for the PS3 or do you just need to go with a USB hub to get the extra strat on there?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 AM

If there is, I haven't seen one. It'd be nice because that dongle is oh so annoying. Leave it plugged in and it always winds up assigning itself controller 1. Some games you need to be using controller 1 to play, so you gotta switch. Thankfully, it's fairly painless to switch it (unlike the 360), but it's still a bit annoying.
Also, it has a red LED on it that'll flash if the guitar isn't switched on. More annoyance.

But anyway, hub will have to do for now. I wish people would start making use of the Bluetooth. Or maybe Sony is being a stickler about allowing the use of it?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguy View Post
If there is, I haven't seen one. It'd be nice because that dongle is oh so annoying. Leave it plugged in and it always winds up assigning itself controller 1. Some games you need to be using controller 1 to play, so you gotta switch. Thankfully, it's fairly painless to switch it (unlike the 360), but it's still a bit annoying.
Also, it has a red LED on it that'll flash if the guitar isn't switched on. More annoyance.

But anyway, hub will have to do for now. I wish people would start making use of the Bluetooth. Or maybe Sony is being a stickler about allowing the use of it?
Yeeeow, well that is a dissapointment to hear... I would have thought the whole point of going bluetooth rather than a with a propriatary wireless solution like last gen wireless controller or Wii60 was specifically to allow for easier development of wireless interface devices like... game controllers lol!!

I hope it isn't sony pulling a early microsoft and trying to guard the controller commands at all cost... I'm glad MS has finally relaxed and allowed for a native wireless guitar, now we just need for EA/Harmonix/Sony to get together and get this straightend out...

Thanks very much for the feed back, glad to hear I gave him the best possible advice for the time being.