What do you wanna see next gen?! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Formerly Pakman3000

Default What do you wanna see next gen?!

Just asking. It'll be here before you know it. I wanted to see truly destructible environments with everything devolving into players fighting in rubble. BFBC kinda delivered on that. When it comes to war games I wanna see something like Rockband with a Navy,Army,Marines, and Air Force disks. They can even have a Pentagon disk for the RTS fans to control everything. Hopefully Endwar and MAG are precursors to something like that.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
HDD Contributor

Better AI.

I think we're--at the most--maybe three or four console generations from graphics getting to the point where photorealism isn't an issue. While the industry has been squandering all its time in pursuit of that goal, really good, diverse AI has been left on the wayside. And I don't just mean just better pathfinding or seeking shelter in combat either. The promise of games like GTA or even Oblivion would shoot through the roof with NPCs that could react intelligently and actually interact with players in a convincing manner beyond scripted events. I think it would be cool--and a little bit freaky--if game AI got to the point where it could pass the Turing Test while you were playing, where you thought you were interacting with another player only to find out it was an NPC the whole time. I'd really, really like to see that.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Formerly Pakman3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Better AI.

I think we're--at the most--maybe three or four console generations from graphics getting to the point where photorealism isn't an issue. While the industry has been squandering all its time in pursuit of that goal, really good, diverse AI has been left on the wayside. And I don't just mean just better pathfinding or seeking shelter in combat either. The promise of games like GTA or even Oblivion would shoot through the roof with NPCs that could react intelligently and actually interact with players in a convincing manner beyond scripted events. I think it would be cool--and a little bit freaky--if game AI got to the point where it could pass the Turing Test while you were playing, where you thought you were interacting with another player only to find out it was an NPC the whole time. I'd really, really like to see that.
True. AI needs to challenge players. I'd like to see co-op squad based games where you actually have to plan and prep before playing. Having contingencies for unexpected AI actions would be awesome.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM

I want to see high quality 2D art. I want to play a game that looks and feels like I'm in a Disney Cartoon.

Not Cell Shaded!!! Though, I'm rather excited by some of the recent "Cell Shaded" games.

Everything seems to be moving away from that...however, that's what I want.

Photorealism bores me.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I want to see high quality 2D art. I want to play a game that looks and feels like I'm in a Disney Cartoon.

Not Cell Shaded!!! Though, I'm rather excited by some of the recent "Cell Shaded" games.

Everything seems to be moving away from that...however, that's what I want.

Photorealism bores me.
Odin Sphere is probably one of the most beautiful 2D games I've seen recently. For some reason I didn't pick this PS2 game up when it first came out, but I got it just a couple of weeks ago while trolling through the discount bin at a game store. Gorgeous, rich 2D artwork, really wonderful detail. Almost a cross between anime and those crazy James Jean covers for "Fable."
Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Odin Sphere is probably one of the most beautiful 2D games I've seen recently. For some reason I didn't pick this PS2 game up when it first came out, but I got it just a couple of weeks ago while trolling through the discount bin at a game store. Gorgeous, rich 2D artwork, really wonderful detail. Almost a cross between anime and those crazy James Jean covers for "Fable."
Man, what rock have you been living under! How can you know about SotC and not this game?! We need to revoke your game review guy card!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:30 PM

MAKE THINGS BIGGER
Certainly, some games need to be smaller in scope.

But something I want to see, is a massive push in scale. I want things to be bigger! No more war games where (like COD4) it's a couple streets with 16 guys shooting at each other.

I'd like a full out war game, that reflects real warfare, on a massive map - where there are countries with a few detailed cities to fight over vs other countries. Veteran players with high rank and time played could play generals and actually input strategic objectives for the entire army to receive when they log in to play (e.g. you log in and the General has given the order to "Invade and capture Rome", "Destroy, and leave Sicily", "Do not enter France, the General has formed an alliance with the Germans who control France."

If you've ever played Arma (similar to Operation Flashpoint, but bigger), it takes probably 4-5 minutes to fly a jet from one side to the other. It uses helicopters to fly people in, or extract them (and has attack helicopters), as well as tanks and APCS and humvees etc. It uses fuel trucks, repair trucks, and supply trucks to keep the army moving. This game is a step in the right direction.

None of this stuff that we have now where each war game has 1000's of servers. Put most of those people together - in different squadrons, or like Chaz was saying - maybe divide it by military branch when you buy the game. If you want to be another branch too, buy another copy or game handle.

Hopefully MAG turns out great and is a step in the right direction.

MMO SPIN ON FPS GAMES
If you've ever played EVE, you know that there is a MASSIVE universe with many solar systems etc, and a "Corp" (basically a squad), can take control of as many of them as they can hold from other Corps.

How cool would something like this be in a war FPS? You start off in a squad (either random players, or a squad of friends if you join one), in a country full of other squads. You fight other squads, and they fall under your leadership when you win. You do this until you control the country. Then, countries fight each other and keepthe territory they make up, and continue capturing countries (then gaining control of the players fighting for that country's army) - until you achieve world domination, and the game resets. This could happen over several weeks. 20C could be the squad that leads the charge in world domination.

Sort of an MMO spin on things, but lots of potential there.

Last edited by Badger3920; 07-31-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 PM

its funny that ai makes it in what do we wanna see. i hear ya on that. i remember developers praising the 360 and ps3 has having multiple processors so they can use one for ai etc.. yet we get gamesl ike gears of war where dom runs out and gets himself killed!

i think ai and gameplay will always take a back seat in favor of hd graphics!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:26 PM

A lot of it is simply size and speed of todays Ram and Video-Cards.. Better technology that offers more ROOM on games the better they'll get.

When I worked at Bethesda Softworks during Morrowind we made our toons and characters with as few segments as possible to maximize speed and animation... if that wasn't an issue we'd have Full 3d renderings similar to Poser Models and it would be absolutely unreal.

It's just a matter of waiting for the higher technology to show up and drop in price enough to be affordable for Gaming Companies.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Man, what rock have you been living under! How can you know about SotC and not this game?! We need to revoke your game review guy card!
Oh, I knew about Odin Sphere, I just didn't get around to picking it up for some reason when it first released. Odin Sphere was one of those unfortunate casualties for me of being released during a glut of good games, so I never did get to playing it, but the fact that it was published by Atlus always meant that I was going to pick it up someday. They always get my money in the vain hope that this will somehow speed up the process of seeing a new SMT game.