Is Siren gonna be a BDRom game here in the states or DL only - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Is Siren gonna be a BDRom game here in the states or DL only

Pretty much all in the title, but let me reiterate *clears throat*

SO IS SIREN BLOOD CURSE GONNA BE AVAILABLE ON DISC FORMAT OR IS IT A PSN GAME ONLY?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 PM

DL only in the states. its on a bd in asia only at this point. I'm debating on whether to order it or not off the psn
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Formerly happyendingHDDVD

Has anyone downloaded this yet? I'm curious if it's any good. The demo was ok.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 PM
HDD Contributor

I picked it up, but I haven't gotten very far into it yet, only the first chapter of Episode 1.

My initial impressions are that it's getting the job done, and it's fun, but it's not a master piece of horror gaming in the same vein as Silent Hill 2 or Fatal Frame. There are legitimate scares, and the game definitely captures the atmosphere for maximum spook effect, but this early into the game, it feels very much like a last gen horror game with a current-gen coat of High-Def paint.

That's not necessarily a BAD thing, mind you, but the usual camera and sluggish control problems that have plagued many last gen horror games are still present here, so while the game looks pretty good, it still handles like you're playing a game from 3-6 years ago.

On the other hand, voice acting is decent, and it's a nice touch that the Japanese "zombie/ghosts" (or Shibito) actually speak Japanese. The developers had the good sense to not re-dub everything into English for fear that gamers wouldn't get it, so the Americans speak English, but the Japanese also speak in their native tongue and it all makes perfect sense, since this takes place in Japan.

These are just very, VERY early impressions. It's going to take a few more hours to get a decent assessment, let alone write a review, but in one easy sentence?

It's a competent, decently scary game with good graphical polish and archaic control mechanics.

I could change my mind about that further into the game, but that's the vibe I'm currently getting from it.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the mini review. I think I'm going to get it.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 AM

In the smackdown thread, someone stated the game is only 2 hours long. for $40 I hope it's at least 10 hours
Old 07-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
In the smackdown thread, someone stated the game is only 2 hours long. for $40 I hope it's at least 10 hours
Me too! I just wish I could get one person to state the total length of the game, if that's possible.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM

I'm on Chapter 5 and I've played over 2 hours already. But I'm not rushing through either. I'm kinda going slow. Plus I've died several times. But the check points are close so its not a big deal. I don't know if it's worth $40 yet but I like it so far.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 PM

How is the gameplay ??
Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 AM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
How is the gameplay ??
It's mostly from the Silent Hill school of control and mechanics. Single flashlight illuminating environment, everyman characters that are not proficient at combat, slightly clumsy control to reflect that, with a camera that's fixed behind your character's back allowing for only minimal adjustment to look around in order to make sure you can't see anything sneaking up behind you unless you actually turn yourself around.

If you have any experience with the Silent Hill or pre-Resident Evil 4 games, then the control scheme will feel right at home. They mix it up a bit by adding in the "sight jacking" mechanism which lets you actually see from the POV of the Zombie/Ghosts (or "Shibito" as the game calls them) so that if you're willing think a little tactically, you can take advantage of knowing where they are, or, more basically, it acts as a "spider sense" since it switches automatically to their view when they go into "alert mode" and start actively looking for you because you made a noise or did some other thing to draw attention to yourself.

Overall, the game's not going to win any awards for revolutionizing the horror genre, but as a summer title when things are slow, it's actually fun, and does manage to frighten you. I'm also gradually coming to the conclusion that it may be the best horror title currently available on the PS3, since Condemned 2 kind hamstrung itself towards the end and killed whatever favorable feelings I had towards it as a horror game by negating everything it worked so hard to establish in the first game.