Setting up server for an older PC game - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 AM

Default Setting up server for an older PC game

As the topic says, I'm trying to setup a server for a game from 1997 called PGA TOUR PRO. I've included pics below for the config screens. Since the game's eleven years old it looks to be default-configured for dialup modems. How can I set this up to where I can play friends again when we all have cable modems? We're all from different towns and so it won't be done through LAN.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-S
Old 07-13-2008, 04:45 AM

What does the internet option give you? That would be the best bet, modem is just a direct call link up between two phone lines. Old internet games are pretty archaic these days with the majority just supporting direct modem dialin and lan games.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:50 AM

The internet option attempts to connect you directly to EA Sports' server which of course no longer exists.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:26 AM

Anyone familiar with HAMACHI? It seems to be some kind of program that does LAN over the internet with the PCs in different areas of the world instead of connected by cables (or so that's what I'm assuming?).
Old 07-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Yes I use hamachi A LOT. This is the option that should work for you. Basically, everyone that wants to play with you should download the most current version of hamachi. Then make sure that whoever is hosting the game has all possible firewalls and related security turned off (only the stuff that would interfere with your online game). You create the game and the others should see it.

If you have a firewall up, or some security suite, it MAY make your game invisible from your friends when they select LAN to play with you. Additionally, if everyone can connect except one or two people, or just one or two people have trouble getting into the game or playing once it starts, it's likely that THEY have a firewall issue. Go the hamachi screen, right click, and select ping. By pinging them you'll obviously be able to tell if packets are making it to their computer or not.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
1997 PGA TOUR PRO
Im just curious as to WHY this game? Why not a more current version of Tiger Woods? An 11 year old golf game...lol there MUST be a reason for this and I am really curious as to what it is.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
Im just curious as to WHY this game? Why not a more current version of Tiger Woods? An 11 year old golf game...lol there MUST be a reason for this and I am really curious as to what it is.
It's a game several friends and I played in high school and still have, so chaulk up sentimental value. The Tiger Woods games that took over this line are definitely way better and more advanced but we're gonna kick back and play this for a little nostalgia. Nothin' wrong with that, right?

BTW -- going to give Hamachi a shot tonight.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 PM

No, nothing wrong with that. I was just curious.