It's Civilization Revolution Day - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-09-2008, 06:59 PM

Default It's Civilization Revolution Day

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is now available for purchase. I almost didn't make a thread for this, because aside from myself and shoeless, I doubt anyone cares.

In any case, is anyone planning on picking this game up?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:30 PM

Default Yippie!!!

I plan on getting later this month. I'm to busy playing Ticket to Ride.

Graf Ulrich 88
Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM
HDD Contributor

Got it. Enjoying it immensely. It's really gratifying to finally be able to see the year 1200 AD roll around and NOT have the game end.

More satisfying still is rolling over Athens with a wing of bombers when they're still only producing spear wielding Hopalites as city defense. Good times.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM

Hm...it's my birthday and I'm contemplating whether to get it.

How big is the install Shoeless? If there is any?

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM
HDD Contributor

There is an install, but it's a very manageable (and quite reasonable) 651 MB, hardly a deal breaker in anyone's eyes. There's also a nice freebie offer in this first wave of copies to hit up the 2K Games website for some free DLC, but I tried the website address given and it would seem it's not up yet.

Also, Firaxis has already stated that it won't be patched for trophies. So keep that in mind if you're utterly obsessed with visible achievements.

But I'd recommend it. I have to review it for my publication back in Singapore and I'm going to be favorable towards it. My only caveat with the game is that if you're a hardcore Civ PC player, then this game will come off as perhaps too simplistic compared to the layers of functions and micromanagement that Civ IV offers. But the essence and experience of Civilization is all here in Civ Rev; it just doesn't ask you to burn an entire weekend to play through.

Although admittedly for my first go-round, I popped it in at around 4 pm and didn't get around to finishing until nearly 9 pm.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
There is an install, but it's a very manageable (and quite reasonable) 651 MB, hardly a deal breaker in anyone's eyes. There's also a nice freebie offer in this first wave of copies to hit up the 2K Games website for some free DLC, but I tried the website address given and it would seem it's not up yet.

Also, Firaxis has already stated that it won't be patched for trophies. So keep that in mind if you're utterly obsessed with visible achievements.

But I'd recommend it. I have to review it for my publication back in Singapore and I'm going to be favorable towards it. My only caveat with the game is that if you're a hardcore Civ PC player, then this game will come off as perhaps too simplistic compared to the layers of functions and micromanagement that Civ IV offers. But the essence and experience of Civilization is all here in Civ Rev; it just doesn't ask you to burn an entire weekend to play through.

Although admittedly for my first go-round, I popped it in at around 4 pm and didn't get around to finishing until nearly 9 pm.
I'm not a trophy fan so I don't care. Also, is this like Age of Empires but more political based? Because I'm totally up for a game like that.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
I'm not a trophy fan so I don't care. Also, is this like Age of Empires but more political based? Because I'm totally up for a game like that.
Politics definitely play a role, since you can forge alliances with other civilizations (and in multi-player, if you're on chat, you can open up private channels between other players for a little double dealing), but it's really a little bit of everything.

There are four ways to win, through military, economic, cultural or technological victory, though all four victory types will require the use of all four means in some way, shape or form. Like even if you want to go the purely economic route of a becoming the richest nation, you're going to have to ready decent defenses for the inevitable attacks that will start coming your way once the AI realizes what you're up to, or simply gets greedy and starts sending spies your way to siphon off your gold.

Conversely, if you want a military victory, you CAN do it early in the game just by waiting 'till you get catapults and rolling into other cities. But it's more fun with tanks and bombers.

The political side involves alliances, trading technologies, and even convincing other cultures to attack rivals on your behalf, so if you're into that kind of wheeling and dealing, that aspect is there, just keep in mind it's one tool amongst many in your arsenal, and so doesn't have a huge focus on it.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 AM

I really, really wish they allowed you to upgrade your military units like you could with past Civ games. That was the only thing I didn't like about the demo when I played it, otherwise, it was a fun game.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:20 PM

I had problems, in the demo, taking well fortified cities. I assume it's because the game didnt run long enough for me to get excellent weapons all the time (like catapults or better), but I found it frustrating that I could get several armies (an army is 3-like units combined) around a city and still not hope to take it.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
I had problems, in the demo, taking well fortified cities. I assume it's because the game didnt run long enough for me to get excellent weapons all the time (like catapults or better), but I found it frustrating that I could get several armies (an army is 3-like units combined) around a city and still not hope to take it.
Yeah, didn't seem like you needed much to defend a city. I would hit a city with 3 groups of armies and still get my butt handed to me. That didn't seem right. Normally a 2 to 1 ratio works, but not in this case. I would barely even damage one of their soldiers before my entire army would be wiped out. I suppose that's great for people who just want to play expand strategies.