Game Benchmarks on current Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Game Benchmarks on current Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon

Hey, guys and gals,

I'm looking to decide the difference in gaming performance between the 3.06GHz iMac and the entry-level Quad-core Mac Pro.

I've found a plethora of online figures showing framerrates of modern game benchmarking running native under OS X.

But, I haven't found anything regarding the Mac Pro games to speak of, especially with the upgrade GeForce 8800 GT card.

Does anyone own this Mac Pro and can attest to its performance on modern games?

This will play a part in my decision making process.

Before anyone goes there, no comments about how the Mac isn't a gaming platform. I'm over that.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Whichever Mac you get, you should probably run Windows through Boot Camp for playing games.

There are a great number of Mac games, more than enough to keep all but the most pathetic uber gamers happy. But if you're looking for performance in particular, Windows versions of games seem to be more refined as far as speed than their Mac counterparts.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:04 PM

I'm a long-time Mac head (first Mac back in 1994, and that's all I've owned since).

Gaming (although not the driving reason for my upgrading) plays a role in my Mac computing lifestyle.

I'm familiar with Boot Camp. It's an awesome feature, and I'll probably end up adding a Win XP copy to whatever I get.

To me, the upgradeability of the Mac Pro is the BIGGEST plus (I've always had upgradeable Macs, not all-in-ones), and I wince at the idea of having my hardware (especially the video card) locked-in from the factory.

However, the price-equivalent iMac is top of the line (3.06 GHz Penryn proc, iSight camera, built-in WiFi, and the gorgeous 24" Apple full-HD display).

So, it's a draw on out of the box performance, UNLESS there's a huge disparity between the two as configured on Apple's website.

That's why I need those Mac Pro with nVidia GeForce 8800 GT card fps.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:11 PM

I have no problem with the iMac other than the fact that unless you buy one at the right time, you're going to get a machine with a generation or two old video card.

I was eyeing the iMac leading up to this most recent update. All of the other specs suited me, aside from the video card.

It seems like Apple only truly brings the iMac's graphics up to date with every third product refresh.

And yeah, I'm a Mac head too. In my closet I have a 512K, a IIci, a PowerBook 520c, a 9600/200, an LC III and a Performa 6115CD. All restored by me to mint condition.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:16 PM

I'm actually hearing very good things about the nVidia GeForce 8800 GS card in the iMac 3.06 GHz. Frame rates up to within 5-10 of the higher-end cards.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Bumpadumpp