So I picked up MGS 4 over the weekend…. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-30-2008, 01:53 PM

Default So I picked up MGS 4 over the weekend….

Now I have never really been a MGS fan…even when the first one came out I would play the original Tenchu over MGS without a second thought.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago I picked up GTA 4 against my better judgment and didn’t care for it so I traded it in and got $36 towards MGS 4.

I have to admit even though I’m only in act1 I’m really impressed. (I know the MGS fans will eat me alive for this next part) However I have to also say that imo it does not blow away Gears like so many people said in the graphics department. Now I’m still very early in the game so my opinion might change but I really don’t see it yet. It’s a great looking game but I don’t see an obvious advantage over Gears.

Anyway, I am excited about the game though and this is the first game I have played in a long time that has really impressed me and made me want to sit in front of the TV for hours.

Just my opinion of the game this far…..
Old 06-30-2008, 01:55 PM

Eh I think act 1 is one of the worst acts, specifically because things get broken up so much, but things are about to get a whole lot weirder. Act 1 can impress a lot of people, and then disappoint in the following acts (Act 2 is fun though), while Act 1 might be seen as a way to set up the scenario for MGS fans.

P.S. People are going to bitch about this topic needed to be moved to the game room or another thread in 3....2....1...

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 PM

As immature as this sounds:

I saw the title, saw who posted it, as I clicked it - and then refused to read it. I'm going to guess that it goes something like this:

Semi-positive or neutral introduction to the game, op pretending that he wanted to like the game, OP using the remaining 3/4 of the post talking about how the game did not deliver. The tried and true fanboy method of dismissing an important title

If not, I sincerely apologize and retract my statement.

Edit: Looks like I was only partially correct - which means I was essentially wrong. Congrats to Blahaha for doing his best at giving something on the PS3 a fair run.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post

I saw the title, saw who posted it, as I clicked it - and then refused to read it. I'm going to guess that it goes something like this:

Semi-positive or neutral introduction to the game, op pretending that he wanted to like the game, OP using the remaining 3/4 of the post talking about how the game did not deliver. The tried and true fanboy method of dismissing an important title

Edit: Looks like I was only partially correct - which means I was essentially wrong. Congrats to Blahaha for doing his best at giving something on the PS3 a fair run.
I accept.

I give every game a fair run. And I have nothing bad to say about this one so far and I'm really enjoying it. Just saying that so far it doesn't blow away Gears in the graphics imo.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Act 1's really the first half of the two most non-traditional MGS set pieces in the game, the rest while playable in a non-stealth way, are nigh-impossible on anything but Liquid Easy.

And you've seen nothing at all if all you've seen is Act 1.

Act 4 really shows off what the PS3 can do with its outdoor environments. Likewise, 2 shows a lot of beautiful pieces.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 PM

I see what the OP is saying. MGS4 shines in the cutscenes and they do look better than in game play. Gears of War had some crazy good detail to everything. I can't say one looks better than the other... MGS4 might be a little less aliased.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Detail within the game remains the same regardless of whether it's gameplay or cut-scenes, the difference is lighting.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Detail within the game remains the same regardless of whether it's gameplay or cut-scenes, the difference is lighting.
I have to disagree. The cutscenes bring in more detail and animation than is present during the gameplay. Things like a thin layer of sweat over the beauties face... all the extra facial and bodily physics all come far more to life during the cutscenes.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_aka_Rex View Post
Act 1's really the first half of the two most non-traditional MGS set pieces in the game, the rest while playable in a non-stealth way, are nigh-impossible on anything but Liquid Easy.
I disagree, it's entirely doable on Solid Normal. I really suck at being stealthy (it's my first MGS so don't judge people) and I trigger lots of alerts but going Rambo on the guards after they 've discovered me has been quite easy ever since I got used to the controls and got myself some nice weapons. I realize that this isn't the best way to play this game but I just want to get through it and then I'll probably start over and try to be more sneaky.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post

Why do you think I'm a fanboy?

I own PS3 and 360 as well as a PC. PC is my platform of choice so if anything I would be a PC fanboy. But really I want good games no matter what platform it's on.

That said I think SOME of the PS3 fans around here tend to go over the top about PS3's capabilities so I like to argue with them. But it's not that I don't really like my PS3 it's that fanboys are just so blind and annoying. Heck I haven't even played my 360 in months but I have spent a good amount of time on my PS3. I even thought about selling my 360 but I want Gears so I'm keeping it.

In short, I think you got me all wrong.