Wayne Santos discusses Metal Gear Solid 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Wayne Santos discusses Metal Gear Solid 4

Wayne Santos' latest column is up:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Patriots/1853
Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Great article Wayne... Keep up the good work!

Quote:
It’s the first “classic franchise” to finally make its debut on a High-Definition console, and amongst the elder statesmen of console gaming, it’s also one of the oldest.
I'm sure someone will mention, Ninja Gaiden is also a classic franchise dating to 1988... although its been reborn and reenvisioned. The new NG series has nothing to do with the classic series or the original arcade game. Its not a coherent series like MG/MGS.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:25 PM

This was a nice read. Good work Wayne. Unfortunately, I still don't think I'll be picking up Metal Gear Solid 4.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:30 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
I'm sure someone will mention, Ninja Gaiden is also a classic franchise dating to 1988... although its been reborn and reenvisioned. The new NG series has nothing to do with the classic series or the original arcade game. Its not a coherent series like MG/MGS.
Yeah, you could definitely make that argument. I didn't really consider it when I made that statement because of the inconsistency of the series. It's not like the Marios and Final Fantasies of gaming which have more or less been constants from generation to generation. Like Prince of Persia, Gaiden kind of dropped off the radar for a while and then suddenly came back with the Xbox, while it can be said to have a pedigree that goes back further, it really seems like it only "started" with the Xbox after a long interval inactivity.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:30 PM

MGS 4 is a true epic.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemoo View Post
MGS 4 is a true epic.
agreed.
the best game in the last couple of years
Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM

nice read, agree with it a lot. MGS4 is truly great, now to get into MGO....
Old 06-26-2008, 02:56 PM

720p???

it says in the article the game runs in 720p. My display and the back of the box says it runs at every display up to 1080p. Its full 1080p picture is pretty much flawless. This game is one of those where even the nitpicks can't be coherently calculated into the overall masterpiece in storytelling and gameplay, because its just too perfect.

IGN gave it the third perfect score they've ever given, the others being soulcaliber from 1999 and this years Grand Theft Auto 4.

Funny how the ps3, the only system to take a beating by the public, has 2 of the highest rated games of all time on it. I'd expect more in the future as well.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidpossum View Post
it says in the article the game runs in 720p.
This depends on your interpretation of resolution. The back of the box says that it supports 1080p, but what that means is that the native, that is to say, the actual resolution of the game is 720p (technically it's more like 768), and it is then upscaled to 1080p. So while the game is displaying at 1080p on your TV, it's pretty much like saying a DVD that has been upscaled to 1080p is also 1080p just because you can see it at that resolution.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Yeah, you could definitely make that argument. I didn't really consider it when I made that statement because of the inconsistency of the series. It's not like the Marios and Final Fantasies of gaming which have more or less been constants from generation to generation. Like Prince of Persia, Gaiden kind of dropped off the radar for a while and then suddenly came back with the Xbox, while it can be said to have a pedigree that goes back further, it really seems like it only "started" with the Xbox after a long interval inactivity.
To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure if the latest NG2 had anything to do with the previous NG. The story is that confusing and there is no consistenceny other than intense action. Meanwhile all of the Metal Gears(except the NES bastard child Snake's Revenge) all fit into the main story canon. I still consider them both classics from the NES... but I wonder why Ryu has never been considered for a role in Super Smash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
This depends on your interpretation of resolution. The back of the box says that it supports 1080p, but what that means is that the native, that is to say, the actual resolution of the game is 720p (technically it's more like 768), and it is then upscaled to 1080p. So while the game is displaying at 1080p on your TV, it's pretty much like saying a DVD that has been upscaled to 1080p is also 1080p just because you can see it at that resolution.
Has the game been confirmed to run 720p native? I know there was a big deal about the MGO beta not being less than HD.