Starcraft 2 on Playstation 3. Is it possible? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

Default Starcraft 2 on Playstation 3. Is it possible?

Hello, everyone knows you can install an OS on the PS3. Is Linux the only possibility? I am really interested in playing SC2 on a nice rig, my current comp will run it, but not perfectly. Does anyone know if it would be feasible to install an OS on the PS3 for the purpose of playing a game like Starcraft 2? If Linux is only possible, would it work to install an emulator of Windows in Linux to play SC2? Thanks if anyone could shed some light on this.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:41 PM

I guess it depends on how good the emulation is. But really, you can buy a great cheap gaming PC why waste your time trying this?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
I guess it depends on how good the emulation is. But really, you can buy a great cheap gaming PC why waste your time trying this?
If my PS3 could run it near optimally, I would rather install a very large HD on my PS3 and partition it. Honestly I really want to play it on my Plasma screen with HDMI.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastGenius View Post
Hello, everyone knows you can install an OS on the PS3. Is Linux the only possibility? I am really interested in playing SC2 on a nice rig, my current comp will run it, but not perfectly. Does anyone know if it would be feasible to install an OS on the PS3 for the purpose of playing a game like Starcraft 2? If Linux is only possible, would it work to install an emulator of Windows in Linux to play SC2? Thanks if anyone could shed some light on this.
What kind of PC do you have? I just put a $100 7600GT video card in my friend's OLD computer (it's like a Pentium 4 1.0ghz with 1GB of RAM) and it actually runs all the new games pretty well surprisingly at medium settings.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonL View Post
What kind of PC do you have? I just put a $100 7600GT video card in my friend's OLD computer (it's like a Pentium 4 1.0ghz with 1GB of RAM) and it actually runs all the new games pretty well surprisingly at medium settings.
I bought a VERY top of the line laptop five years ago.

Its a pentium 4 HT 3.06 GHZ, 128 mb Nvidia video card, 2 gigabytes of RAM, 60 gig HD. Its a very fast system and runs all applications optimally...its a little out dated, but only a little out dated for a five year old laptop computer. My main concern is the video card, which as far as I know can not be upgraded.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Not a chance. Linux doesn't have access to 3D acceleration on PS3 without some hacking, even if you got to it you have to do it while emulating the x86 processor on the PowerPC core, and then emulating Windows on the emulated processor. All of this with < 512 MB total RAM to load everything up.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Linux or anything not pure ps3 does not have real access to the GPU, I don't think it will be able to.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
Not a chance. Linux doesn't have access to 3D acceleration on PS3 without some hacking, even if you got to it you have to do it while emulating the x86 processor on the PowerPC core, and then emulating Windows on the emulated processor. All of this with < 512 MB total RAM to load everything up.
I had a feeling I would be getting myself in over my head by attempting this. Maybe if the interface changes I will...I'll probably just wait until a couple weeks before SC2 and cave and buy a new desktop .
Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I bought a VERY top of the line laptop five years ago.

Its a pentium 4 HT 3.06 GHZ, 128 mb Nvidia video card, 2 gigabytes of RAM, 60 gig HD. Its a very fast system and runs all applications optimally...its a little out dated, but only a little out dated for a five year old laptop computer. My main concern is the video card, which as far as I know can not be upgraded.
You'll definitely do better with that than running Linux emulation.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I had a feeling I would be getting myself in over my head by attempting this. Maybe if the interface changes I will...I'll probably just wait until a couple weeks before SC2 and cave and buy a new desktop .
If you are in Chicago I'll sell you mine. I barely use it.