Please Help a Newbie - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Please Help a Newbie

My apologies if this question has already been answered somewhere. But I was told to come here to get an experts advice. I'm brand new to the PS3 (about a day) and I've never posted on a forum, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I am having issues with the audio quality. The problem is I canít hear dialogue. Sound effects and music comes out great, but I can barely hear voices and even then they tend to skip. I've experienced this with a blu-ray movie and the only game I have Resistance: FoM.

My current setup is video is through HDMI from PS3 to TV.
Audio is through an optical cable from PS3 to my receiver (Panasonic SA-HT40).

I have a feeling it has something to do with the audio settings through the PS3 but I've tinkered with a lot of the settings and canít seem to find a resolution yet
Old 08-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Do you have a center channel speaker? Is it hooked up and working properly? It sounds like you're missing that channel.

If you don't have a center channel, it may be possible to tell the Panasonic to 'turn off effects mode', or some other such option, which will make it send all sound through your left and right main speaker.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 PM

You absolutely need to go into your system settings in your PS3 and select either HDMI audio output, or Optical output. If you're just going into your TV, you've got one too many connections going on. If However, your TV has L,R Audio below or next to your HDMI input, you may need to have another cable, Optical for example, plugged in as well if you want to use the PS3(No L,R, Audio outputs.) Just go into your PS3 menu. It's really pretty simple.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszaugg View Post
My apologies if this question has already been answered somewhere. But I was told to come here to get an experts advice. I'm brand new to the PS3 (about a day) and I've never posted on a forum, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I am having issues with the audio quality. The problem is I canít hear dialogue. Sound effects and music comes out great, but I can barely hear voices and even then they tend to skip. I've experienced this with a blu-ray movie and the only game I have Resistance: FoM.

My current setup is video is through HDMI from PS3 to TV.
Audio is through an optical cable from PS3 to my receiver (Panasonic SA-HT40).

I have a feeling it has something to do with the audio settings through the PS3 but I've tinkered with a lot of the settings and canít seem to find a resolution yet
I have the same problem. Our ps3 is plugged into TV by HDMI cable and we have the exact same problem with the sound. Have you resolved this? if so please help!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM

If you are using optical for audio, go into audio settings and select bitstream.