Folklore Demo... thoughts?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Folklore Demo... thoughts??

So, I just finished playing through both characters on the Folklore demo for PS3. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it.

Pros:

- Setting (I'm a sucker for faerie stuff--especially when it's "dark")
- Combat Variety
- Art Design
- Best use of the Sixaxis motion control yet

Cons:

- Lack of voice acting
- Really, really linear
- Not that flashy, really

Ultimately, this one kind of surprised me. I knew that the setting was going to be attractive for me, personally, but for some reason I thought this was going to be an RPG--and I don't really play those. As an action game, it reminds me a lot of Devil May Cry in its visual style. It's definitely prettier, but it's also not going to be a game that people tout for its visual muscle (I don't think). Fortunately, the art design trumps any concerns about the graphics engine, because it still looks like something new and unusual.

As far as the combat is concerned, though combat was similar between both characters, I really dug Keats's (was that his name?) moves a bit more than hers. He was very much of a muscle/firepower kind of guy, while she was more of a tricky/quick-hit type of character. The ability to swap out so many different kinds of "Folks"/Attacks could lead to a very deep system, but there weren't all that many different Folks available in the demo (only about 5-6 for each character, IIRC). Still, there were tons of slots and, apparently, copious upgrade options.

Overall, better than I expected and probably a purchase if it hits at the right time. What did everyone else think?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSpinalTap View Post
So, I just finished playing through both characters on the Folklore demo for PS3. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it.

Pros:

- Setting (I'm a sucker for faerie stuff--especially when it's "dark")
- Combat Variety
- Art Design
- Best use of the Sixaxis motion control yet

Cons:

- Lack of voice acting
- Really, really linear
- Not that flashy, really

Ultimately, this one kind of surprised me. I knew that the setting was going to be attractive for me, personally, but for some reason I thought this was going to be an RPG--and I don't really play those. As an action game, it reminds me a lot of Devil May Cry in its visual style. It's definitely prettier, but it's also not going to be a game that people tout for its visual muscle (I don't think). Fortunately, the art design trumps any concerns about the graphics engine, because it still looks like something new and unusual.

As far as the combat is concerned, though combat was similar between both characters, I really dug Keats's (was that his name?) moves a bit more than hers. He was very much of a muscle/firepower kind of guy, while she was more of a tricky/quick-hit type of character. The ability to swap out so many different kinds of "Folks"/Attacks could lead to a very deep system, but there weren't all that many different Folks available in the demo (only about 5-6 for each character, IIRC). Still, there were tons of slots and, apparently, copious upgrade options.

Overall, better than I expected and probably a purchase if it hits at the right time. What did everyone else think?
When did this demo become available? Because I am away on vacation. can't wait to try it out.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeeswish View Post
When did this demo become available? Because I am away on vacation. can't wait to try it out.
It was part of this week's update.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:57 PM
HDD Contributor

There's actually a discussion of this game going on the Blu-Ray game console section, if you wanna' check it out.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:41 PM

WOW ,just finished the demo with the girl.I have heard nothing about this game.Downloaded the game due to the fact that I have nothing to play on my PS3 and all I can say is, this is a really fun demo.Lack of voice acting is unacceptable in this day and age though,thought this was supposed to be a 50gb blu-ray disc.

Gotta go I have to try that dude out now.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Banned

The one thing that disappoints me about the demo is that there is no voices. Just the dialog boxes.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 AM

I swear this was the longest download I have ever seen-LOL