Sony unveils mini PlayStation Classic, and nostalgic gamers are ecstatic - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Sony unveils mini PlayStation Classic, and nostalgic gamers are ecstatic

Quote:
Nearly 25 years after releasing the original, Sony revealed it's bringing back its PlayStation One console 末 and fans are ecstatic. The new Playstation Classic will be much smaller and come preloaded with 20 classic titles, the company said online Wednesday.

Eric Lempel, senior vice president of PlayStation WorldWide Marketing, made the announcement on PlayStation's website.

"The mini console is approximately 45 percent smaller than the original PlayStation, and it emulates the original's look and feel by featuring similar controllers and packaging," Lempel wrote. "All of the pre-loaded games will be playable in their original format."

Among the games will be Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Wild Arms and 15 other classic titles.

The PlayStation Classic will be available starting on December 3 for $99.99. However, the mini console is already available for pre-order at select retailers.

Sony joins Nintendo in the market for nostalgic gamers after their wildly successful sales with NES Classic Edition, a miniature version of the old console.

After news broke, Twitter users exploded in excitement 末 with a dose of indifference 末 over the PlayStation Classic.

"This PlayStation Classic announcement is super out of left field. The few games that have already been announced make me pretty excited, though... I might actually have to pick this one up," user @PHRHD wrote.

"Who's excited for the playstation classic? I cant wait to play the full version game of jumping jack flash. I only had the demo disc as a kid. I hope road rash is on it too," another person wrote.

"PlayStation Classic sounds neat but I'm not sure if I'm going to pick one up. Probably be more of an issue to hack it. Plus only 20 games, with 15 that haven't been revealed. I'm not yet convinced that it's worth $100," this Twitter user commented.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/playsta...-freaking-out/

---
Curious what else they'll include to round out the collection? I still own a lot of my collection. I'll be curious if Konami would contribute. To not have MGS would be a massive blow to the concept itself.

Either way, the SNES and PS1 are neck and neck in terms of my favorite console generations.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

If it emulates the feel of the original, does the video stutter to emulate the cd drive skipping?
So, from the sounds of it, it has a 16 Gb flash memory in it, based on it having 20 titles preloaded.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:34 PM

I'm just trying to think of the deep cuts that Sony would offer with this. Konami is kinda doing whatever right now and I don't know how much they plan to contribute. As it is, they have two of the defining titles of that console; SOTN and MGS.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Did MGS require a Dual Shock?

That might be problematic.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Did MGS require a Dual Shock?

That might be problematic.
It didn't. However, it used it in big way...and I'd consider it a requirement.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM

I still have the original in storage somewhere.:biggrin: With Final Fantasy VII. I may break it out this weekend and connect it to my 65" OLED. lol
Old 09-20-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETMIC View Post
I still have the original in storage somewhere.:biggrin: With Final Fantasy VII. I may break it out this weekend and connect it to my 65" OLED. lol
That aint gonna look pretty
Old 09-20-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
That aint gonna look pretty
I was going to say the same thing.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:47 PM

I've read that the box comes with a USB connector (for some reason), which is insufficient to power the device so you'll need to use an AC adapter.

....Sold Separately.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
I've read that the box comes with a USB connector (for some reason), which is insufficient to power the device so you'll need to use an AC adapter.

....Sold Separately.
Just a standard 5v USB charger plug. I mean, it's dumb for it to not include it, but it requires as much power as a Raspberry Pi.