PlayStation 2 emulation on PC is pretty good even by my standards - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2018, 07:05 PM

Default PlayStation 2 emulation on PC is pretty good even by my standards

You know Iím a purist. If it doesnít work perfectly, Iíd rather pay on the real console. Well, itís not quite there, but itís pretty good. PCSX2 is quite a program.

I was actually surprised, it plays your own game DVDs without any BS, though for me it stuttered until I made an ISO and payed from that. Very easy. I was hankering for Ace Combat Zero, which I had never played before, but I was afraid of some annoying trench run that would mean replaying a level repeatedly, so I figured letís try an emulator with its save states. AC0 had graphical issues in hardware accelerated mode, but they were documented with workarounds that worked great. And setting it to run at 2x the resolution was trivially easy. Plus software mode is nearly perfect (but you canít do 2x resolution, etc.).

There are hacks people have added to add widescreen to 4:3 games. AC0 already supported 16:9 natively though, so it worked without any hacking.

You have to get a BIOS from your own console, but I illegally downloaded one from the first Google result for ďPS2 BIOS.Ē Since I own a PS2 and a PS3, I figured itís not immoral, only technically illegal. Took 30 seconds, pretty amazing. Then you just tell the emulator where you saved the BIOS, and it just works.

ROMs themselves are easily available too, but you should own the game, else youíre being a thief. My AC0 is in the mail, so I got a ROM to play, again easy as pie. But again, you can just rip an ISO of your own PS2 DVD.

I will say itís not the most user-friendly process ever. You have to tweak stuff, and the emulator is powerful but not the easiest to use. But for power gamers I donít see a problem. The ease with which I got an essentially remastered AC0 to play was remarkable.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:54 AM

I cannot get over how hot these Ace Combat games look running at 3x resolution. Really close to X360 levels to my eyes. Those guys definitely used some great textures.

@Shoeless
Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM

I was thinking of replying P3FES the other day. Check this out. HD and widescreen:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34ep...9#.Wybu4mJlDDs

Not even the best screen shot; all the characters can look sharp as hell with no FPS lost; all it takes is setting resolution slider to 3x. The widescreen patch is applied automatically, if you just allow it in the main menu. The movies play in widescreen correctly, all the 3D scenes are rendered properly. The only thing they couldn't figure out, apparently, are the character portraits within the menus (the speech portraits are good).

Last edited by RedRedSuit; 06-18-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:59 AM

I would have been all over this if Okami hadn't been brought up to current consoles. I was never big on the PS2, but that one game might have been worth it for me.

Glad to see this is working well though. PC FTW.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Thank you for the info on this. I gave GT4 a try just to see how it worked on my laptop (I know they recommend not trying it on laptops ) and it ran surprisingly well.
Now I have a portable PS2 for when I travel
Old 06-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I would have been all over this if Okami hadn't been brought up to current consoles. I was never big on the PS2, but that one game might have been worth it for me.

I was a HUUUUGE PS2 player. When I bought my PS3 I played it some but not nearly so much. I cannot remember the last time I turned it on.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post

PS2 was the console that made me stop using my PC...

I'm down for PS2 emulation, need a better PC though.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Can someone tell me how I can get the GameCube PC emulator set up on my PC?

Twoun must know this, he's all about that Dolphin thing.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Can someone tell me how I can get the GameCube PC emulator set up on my PC?

Twoun must know this, he's all about that Dolphin thing.
You can just check the Dolphin website and its FAQ and guides for setting it up, including getting controllers to work with it. Pretty sure HDD won't let one direct-link in the forums to the Dolphin site though. Even talking about it in the abstract is frowned upon, I'm pretty sure. Then again, this thread isn't locked down yet, so maybe not.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
You can just check the Dolphin website and its FAQ and guides for setting it up, including getting controllers to work with it. Pretty sure HDD won't let one direct-link in the forums to the Dolphin site though. Even talking about it in the abstract is frowned upon, I'm pretty sure. Then again, this thread isn't locked down yet, so maybe not.
Thanks for the info I will check it out