YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain dies aged 33 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-25-2018, 10:34 AM

Default YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain dies aged 33

YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain dies aged 33

Quote:
Popular video game critic John Bain - known as TotalBiscuit and the Cynical Brit - has died aged 33.

He had 2.2 million YouTube subscribers, but retired from reviewing games in April after bowel cancer spread to his liver.

In a lengthy post on Reddit, he wrote that he did not "have long left" and said that his cancer was terminal.

After a tweet appeared on his official account confirming his passing, his wife Genna posted a poem as a tribute to her late husband.

She wrote: "I'm more overwhelmed with grief than I could possibly express".

Mr Bain rose to prominence in 2010 by uploading gameplay videos and reviews to his YouTube channel.

He was a champion of many smaller, indie titles, producing videos where he shared his first impressions of new titles. He also curated lists of game recommendations on the Steam store.

Mr Bain was also an outspoken critic of many popular top-selling games. He said many developers sought to maximise profit at the expense of game play.

Video service Twitch, where Mr Bain live-streamed gaming sessions, thanked him for his contribution to the industry.

"John Bain's opinionated game critiques and sense of humour led to him becoming one of the most prominent voices in the gaming industry," it said in a statement.

Prominent gamers took to Twitter to share their tributes.

Mr Bain first contracted bowel cancer in 2014 but under treatment the disease went into remission. However, the cancer returned and spread to his liver and spine.
Such a sad situation. He hung on much longer than expected. I don't listen to the Co-Optional podcast much anymore, but it's sad knowing if I tune back in, he won't be there.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:08 AM

man that is awful. RIP Mr Bain
Old 05-25-2018, 01:47 PM

I literally only heard maybe a month ago and that was because of his cancer.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:06 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

A lot of cancers, as long as you got money or good insurance (very rare in the USA) are curable. Despicable that such an advanced country has poor access.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:07 AM

Good insurance is not very rare in the USA. Itís common. The problem is that nevertheless a ton of people didnít have it. A ton doesnít mean most, but even a few million is too many.

Most people are employed, and most of them get perfectly decent insurance through their job. If you get cancer, youíll probably get good care. But, true, many people wonít.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:33 PM

He had good care. He just got unlucky.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:57 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Further discussing healthcare will also cause a crossover into politics, which I will not do nor are we allowed to do so. I am with CD's GIF there... never heard of this "star" we speak of.

I never figured out the obsession with those that watch other people playing video games. If I need a tutorial on how to get past a certain boss or finding Easter Eggs, I might consider a stream of sort.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
A lot of cancers, as long as you got money or good insurance (very rare in the USA) are curable. Despicable that such an advanced country has poor access.
I read that the issue with this guy is that he was diagnosed late in the game. He said himself that he had some warning signs and ignored them because he didn't know what they were. Unfortunately, once a cancer metastasizes, it's almost always game over.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Further discussing healthcare will also cause a crossover into politics, which I will not do nor are we allowed to do so. I am with CD's GIF there... never heard of this "star" we speak of.

I never figured out the obsession with those that watch other people playing video games. If I need a tutorial on how to get past a certain boss or finding Easter Eggs, I might consider a stream of sort.
He was a critic and reviewer. He also ran a popular podcast. He did do some game streaming, but that wasn't his primary job.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
I read that the issue with this guy is that he was diagnosed late in the game. He said himself that he had some warning signs and ignored them because he didn't know what they were. Unfortunately, once a cancer metastasizes, it's almost always game over.
How many times have we ourselves been to a doctor for something out of the ordinary to be told "oh, that's normal OR oh, that's just you getting older" - so I can see the dilemma. And most of us, each doctor visit costs a copay or more so we have to pick our battles with when to go.