PS4 Pro and 4K - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-31-2018, 08:39 AM

Default PS4 Pro and 4K

Got a 4K TV finally. How are people with PS4 Pro's outputting their 4K?

Are you going direct to the TV or passing through a 4K receiver?

THanks
Old 01-31-2018, 11:01 AM
Watcher of stances

i'm going directly to TV as my receiver is not 4K compatible and not quite ready to upgrade that component.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
i'm going directly to TV as my receiver is not 4K compatible and not quite ready to upgrade that component.
So you are just using TV sound as well?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:57 PM

Does the TV have a 5.1 Output back to the receiver somehow? I know on my previous TVs, all of the Audio Outputs (including the SPDIF output which was really weird), were only 2.0, not 5.1.

When my wife ordered me to take down the 5.1 system and slim things down to just the TV and Roku, I hooked up a Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system to the output on my current TV. It's got a headphone out, so I didn't even need an 1/8" to RCA Stereo adapter. It's not as good as my old 5.1 system obviously, but it's _much_ better than the typical soundbar setup most people have on a TV with no receiver. When we watch movies that have got some bass, the little sub does a decent job of pushing some low end for the $150 cost.

It's a compromise, but I don't have to tolerate garbage TV speakers, and the wife still gets to stick to one remote.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Does the TV have a 5.1 Output back to the receiver somehow? I know on my previous TVs, all of the Audio Outputs (including the SPDIF output which was really weird), were only 2.0, not 5.1.

When my wife ordered me to take down the 5.1 system and slim things down to just the TV and Roku, I hooked up a Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system to the output on my current TV. It's got a headphone out, so I didn't even need an 1/8" to RCA Stereo adapter. It's not as good as my old 5.1 system obviously, but it's _much_ better than the typical soundbar setup most people have on a TV with no receiver. When we watch movies that have got some bass, the little sub does a decent job of pushing some low end for the $150 cost.

It's a compromise, but I don't have to tolerate garbage TV speakers, and the wife still gets to stick to one remote.
yes it DOES have an optical digital out. But the sound on the TV is atmos so it may be decent. I'll have to try. Don't really want to hook up another set of speakers so I may use the tv speakers until I upgrade the receiver.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM

Yeah, the extra set of speakers was a more long term solution for me.

Once we move into a new house, I'll put my foot down and setup the 5.1 again. My youngest is about to turn 6, so we don't need the place baby-proofed anymore. They're now into movies now, so I think they'll back me up a bit.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Yeah, the extra set of speakers was a more long term solution for me.

Once we move into a new house, I'll put my foot down and setup the 5.1 again. My youngest is about to turn 6, so we don't need the place baby-proofed anymore. They're now into movies now, so I think they'll back me up a bit.
nice

Yah I recently got a new subwoofer so now I am running two subs (y cable split), a 10" and 12" in my 5.1 setup, well 5.2 now.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:54 PM
HDD Contributor

I don't think I'm going to make the jump to a 4K TV until the next generation of consoles. Everything I've got now is optimized for "old fashioned" 1080p, so when I make the jump I'll probably get a new receiver as well as a TV, so I can keep everything running through HDMI cables.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:04 PM

Unless our TV dies, I'll be sticking with FHD hardware for years. I have a huge backlog of games, and the PC should keep my kid entertained well into next generation. I probably won't buy a PS5 until deep into that generation.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Hoping to get a 4K set at the end of the year, I already have Atmos setup an Xbox One X and about 8 4K Blurays waiting for me, got probably at least a few more years before next gen consoles hit and we actually have no idea how all of that is going to work with these midway upgrades both companies are doing, Sony will need a new console much sooner though if they really want to push 4K and better hardware but either way, we dont NEED a new gen of consoles for quite a while IMO