Xbox One X Impressions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-13-2017, 09:22 AM

Default Xbox One X Impressions

Hello gang!

Some background: I am a new user to the forums, however have been actively reading these boards for years. Took me a while to create an account and post something.

Anyway, I recently snagged a Project Scorpio edition One X and noticed a lack of Xbox One X content on these forums so I thought I'd start a thread for anyone curious on the console or fellow owners who wanted to share their insights.

Here are my initial impressions after a week with the console:
  • Gaming Performance
    Microsoft has definitely delivered. Halo 5 is the biggest surprise in bump in quality. Gears 4 in 4k HDR is simply breathtaking, I opt for the 4k at 30FPS option. Dolby Atmos in Gears is also a bonus!

Just like the PS4 pro, it remains to be seen how developers will take advantage going forward, but given Microsoft's list of games that are going to be enhanced, I am pleased at the updates coming for both new and old games (looking at you Witcher 3!)

I also hope more game developers incorporate Atmos as I believe only two games take advantage of this right now.

• UHD Performance
    The Xbox One X is my first UHD player so I don't have a frame of reference when comparing performance to other UHD players on the market, however I am already reading some grumblings that there's some raised black level issues with HDR, but Microsoft is working to address.

Outside of that, I have noticed a strong visual upgrade in quality from standard blu to UHD. Once Microsoft addresses the HDR concerns, I will revisit my small UHD catalog and post my findings.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Watcher of stances

i'm quite enjoying mine so far, will be my go-to for multiplatform titles unless content carries over from previous titles in a franchise.
the UI is about my only complaint, it's still a mess.

haven't had time to watch a UHD movie yet.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:49 AM

I am stuck in the predicament where all of my online gaming buddies are on PS4 but want to buy everything for Xbox One X instead (Anthem especially!)

This is where my hopes and dreams of cross-play will happen one day. We know it's technically possible with the Fortnite fiasco, it's basically on Sony's plate on if they'll ever let go since Microsoft and Nintendo are ready to play ball.

One thing that does bug me a little bit is the way the One X handles sending the Atmos signal - it seems to try to throw a signal when starting any game or app, but then resorts back to 7.1 PCM if content does not support Atmos. Would rather it just remain 7.1 PCM at all times until an Atmos supported title begins.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:35 AM

Update - Microsoft has released an update to fix the alleged issue with raised black levels during a UHD film.

Pre-patch, I noticed an early scene during Spiderman Homecoming where you saw it really standout when the Vulture is flying into his base for the first time, with some digital noise. I have not yet had a chance to watch this scene post-patch.

During Black Friday sales, I picked up Star Wars Battlefront 2, Assassin's Creed: Origins and Call of Duty WW2. Overall the visual quality and consistent framerate is outstanding, however something I am noticing (which may just be the way it was designed) is that cutscenes are noticeably at a lower framerate than actual gameplay. This is most observable when playing Battlefront 2 and Call of Duty WW2. This is probably not specific to the One X however.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

My issue is that this console is supposed to be 40% more powerful than anything previous but yet is not 4K 4x more demand?

I know, it's a closed system so it will be easier to optimize the environment but 40% and x4 don't exactly equate.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
My issue is that this console is supposed to be 40% more powerful than anything previous but yet is not 4K 4x more demand?

I know, it's a closed system so it will be easier to optimize the environment but 40% and x4 don't exactly equate.
It seems to be running most games in 4K just fine.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
It seems to be running most games in 4K just fine.
Agree and it appears (I have no way to validate) that it's actually hitting true 4k in most titles without doing the checkerboarding technique.

Even in games where there's dynamic resolution scaling, it seems to hold 4k until it gets super busy on screen.

As an owner of the PS4 Pro, I am seeing more developers enhance games on the Xbox One X than I have Pro enhanced titles (which has been a disappointment)
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Watcher of stances

i'd wager most titles do not maintain true 4K and especially 4K30, which is fine.
i'm about 70 hours into AC:O and quite enjoining it, looks phenomenal
Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_N1nja View Post
Agree and it appears (I have no way to validate) that it's actually hitting true 4k in most titles without doing the checkerboarding technique.

Even in games where there's dynamic resolution scaling, it seems to hold 4k until it gets super busy on screen.

As an owner of the PS4 Pro, I am seeing more developers enhance games on the Xbox One X than I have Pro enhanced titles (which has been a disappointment)
Overall, the PS4 Pro isnt that big of a leap over the PS4, the Xbox One X is truly a big leap over the Xbox One AND the PS4 Pro, and so far, plenty of developers are going back and patching their games, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim and so many more are getting big updates. I've even read that it really improves a lot of these games on 1080p TVs as well since its a big bump in resolution from the 900p or 720p a lot of games were running in and you get higher texture resolution, farther draw distances and faster frame rates. I'm already saving up to buy one since it can improve my gaming now and be ready for the 4K TV when that comes in the next year.....I'm hoping anyways
Old 12-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post

Yes and no. I don't think it scales quite that strictly, but ideally yes, you'd have 4x the raw power to render 4x the resolution, to get the same framerates for both.

Pretty sure the initial versions of the current console generation were just not quite up to 4K/30. That's what the extra 40% boost would be for. Enough of a boost to allow the console to run 4K/30 minimum in most cases.