Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RedRedSuit is online now Member

Default Killzone Shadow Fall

(Single player considerations only)

I found Killzone 2 to be a classic; 3 a disappointing but solid game (lowered intensity and far reduced sweeping level design, and a less cohesive art design; also didn't like ammo no longer being a factor).

I skipped SF due to mediocre reviews.

However, I'm feeling like a campaign shooter after 200+ hours of RPGs. Started FarCry 4 (PC), but it's open-world, and I'm feeling like something focused.

I'm thinking of giving Shadow Fall a shot for cheap, as my bi-annual Metacritic check (wherein I play a lower-scoring game with attributes I normally enjoy, to see if MC holds up after all or is wrong for me).

My impression from reviews is:

- solid and beautiful when it comes to rank and file shooting segments;
    - really terrible when it tries to "branch out" with "special" non-shooting sections;
    - story is not good.

Of those, it's that 2nd one that scares me. My question is this: playing this, on normal (normal? what's recommended as equivalent of Halo Heroic?), are the shit sections merely "not good," or rather something so frustrating that it might be bad enough to block progression of the game? Any checkpoint spacing issues around these sections?

I'm willing to give it a shot, if you guys assure me there's nothing egregious in here.

Shoeless, you know in Ace Combat 5 there's this awful mission where you can't go above mountain level, or else you get shot out of the sky, but you have to shoot down these enemy planes within 15 minutes, or game over? So you fly around tight canyons for 15 minutes trying to do this stupid thing, and if you fail, start over?

That kind of shit.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

RM
    RM is online now Member

It sucks and you should skip it. Play a different game instead.

It looks nice, but the game and level design is much lower quality than KZ3. The guns aren't as much fun and the tasks they give you are just plain boring. If you try to play it on hard for the extra trophy, you'll die a lot from far off gun fire while you are stuck out in the open with no cover. The characters and plot are so bad I had no idea what character I was playing or why I was moving to my objectices most of the time. There's one level in particular where you're almost being asked to platform, and if you make a mistake, you are one-hit-killed. That one was incredibly frustrating.

The only good memory I have of that game is a level about a third of a way in where you're in big shipping yard and they give you a sniper rifle, but they spoil that by forcing you to leave your over watch position when you get flooded by enemies who grenade spam you. It's a real spoiled moment.

It felt like a B-team made that game while the A team was working on Horizon. I played about a third of it and was so let down I just deleted it - zero regrets. I didn't play the multiplayer, so I can't comment on that aspect, but I have no problem advising you to skip the campaign.
    Last edited by RM; 06-26-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

weasl is online now Member

I've tried to play SF on 4 occasions (restarting each time) and it always bores the shit out of me.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

RM
    RM is online now Member

Did you play Doom yet Red? If not, you should really check it out. I never played the old games, so I have no nostalgia for the series, but I've really enjoyed the bit I've played on the PC. It's fantastic.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Boston007 is online now Member

The story sucks ASS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Did you play Doom yet Red? If not, you should really check it out. I never played the old games, so I have no nostalgia for the series, but I've really enjoyed the bit I've played on the PC. It's fantastic.
    I still need to play the new Doom, but can new Doom be as good without the old codes IDDQD and IDKFA? That was the best way to play Doom and Doom 2.

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    Yes. I played 20 minutes before I upgraded my card. It was cool... nothing wrong with it... sometimes I just get inspired by certain games, the way they appear in my mind, and KZSF for some reason seemed appealing for a moment.

But wow, you guys hate it.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

RM
    RM is online now Member

Totally get what you mean. I had the same thing with that game. I had a lot of fun with KZ3, and I was hoping to have a similar experience. Sadly, it was nothing like the PS3 games. Very disappointing.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Yes. I played 20 minutes before I upgraded my card. It was cool... nothing wrong with it... sometimes I just get inspired by certain games, the way they appear in my mind, and KZSF for some reason seemed appealing for a moment.

But wow, you guys hate it.
    I didn't hate it. It was a decent shooter, nice graphics, but the story was shitty.

Now Last of Us, THAT game I HATE...and with a passion

weasl is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    I didn't hate it. It was a decent shooter, nice graphics, but the story was shitty.

Now Last of Us, THAT game I HATE...and with a passion
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    What really pissed me off in Killzone was the collectibles.

If you loaded a checkpoint, collected the set of collectibles in that section but didn't get to the next checkpoint and didn't save it didn't count. Absolutely the dumbest system. Once you collect a collectible it should get tallied in your collection regardless if you save or not. It's an in game collectible. Such a an EASY software implementation.

I was plagued with Last of Us save bug too many times and lost a lot of saves in the beginning. That just set me off for the rest of the game, nothing felt right in that game at all. Despised it.

Shoeless is online now HDD Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    What really pissed me off in Killzone was the collectibles.

If you loaded a checkpoint, collected the set of collectibles in that section but didn't get to the next checkpoint and didn't save it didn't count. Absolutely the dumbest system. Once you collect a collectible it should get tallied in your collection regardless if you save or not. It's an in game collectible. Such a an EASY software implementation.

I was plagued with Last of Us save bug too many times and lost a lot of saves in the beginning. That just set me off for the rest of the game, nothing felt right in that game at all. Despised it.
    I heard a rumor somewhere that there was a chance Killzone might actually be the free game in July for PS+. I guess we'll see if that pans out.

Killzone: Shadowfall is pretty much what you'd expect from a launch game. Has some nice visual bells and whistles, and really showed off what the PS4 could do at the time, but it's pretty uneven. I think my experience with it might have been different from other people here, because when it got to the more open, less linear areas--which definitely weren't as numerous as I would have liked--I did appreciate the options the game had for less shooty stuff.

The story really felt like a new bunch of writers took over, didn't like what had come before and just went off in their own direction with only the vaguest acknowledgement of what the series had done before that. It tried asking some interesting questions about enemies trying to co-exist in a cold war setting, but it didn't really gel with the game itself. I haven't actually played the game since the PS4 launch, but I do remember enjoying that rifle that transformed from decent mid-range fire-arm to sniper. And I used the drone a lot to do stealth related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I heard a rumor somewhere that there was a chance Killzone might actually be the free game in July for PS+. I guess we'll see if that pans out.

Killzone: Shadowfall is pretty much what you'd expect from a launch game. Has some nice visual bells and whistles, and really showed off what the PS4 could do at the time, but it's pretty uneven. I think my experience with it might have been different from other people here, because when it got to the more open, less linear areas--which definitely weren't as numerous as I would have liked--I did appreciate the options the game had for less shooty stuff.

The story really felt like a new bunch of writers took over, didn't like what had come before and just went off in their own direction with only the vaguest acknowledgement of what the series had done before that. It tried asking some interesting questions about enemies trying to co-exist in a cold war setting, but it didn't really gel with the game itself. I haven't actually played the game since the PS4 launch, but I do remember enjoying that rifle that transformed from decent mid-range fire-arm to sniper. And I used the drone a lot to do stealth related stuff.
    If the story was fleshed out better AND they fixed that collectible thing I would have rated it much higher.

Didn't it have that cool stealth mission post credits?

Shoeless is online now HDD Contributor

It did have that mission, which was a fun little bonus.

Also, apparently Shadowzone is on sale RIGHT NOW, thanks to some kind of PSN mid-year sale that's supposed to run for the next two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    It did have that mission, which was a fun little bonus.

Also, apparently Shadowzone is on sale RIGHT NOW, thanks to some kind of PSN mid-year sale that's supposed to run for the next two weeks.
    It was fun.

Too funny that it's on sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast