Killzone Shadow Fall - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-26-2017, 04:47 AM

Default Killzone Shadow Fall

(Single player considerations only)

I found Killzone 2 to be a classic; 3 a disappointing but solid game (lowered intensity and far reduced sweeping level design, and a less cohesive art design; also didn't like ammo no longer being a factor).

I skipped SF due to mediocre reviews.

However, I'm feeling like a campaign shooter after 200+ hours of RPGs. Started FarCry 4 (PC), but it's open-world, and I'm feeling like something focused.

I'm thinking of giving Shadow Fall a shot for cheap, as my bi-annual Metacritic check (wherein I play a lower-scoring game with attributes I normally enjoy, to see if MC holds up after all or is wrong for me).

My impression from reviews is:

- solid and beautiful when it comes to rank and file shooting segments;
- really terrible when it tries to "branch out" with "special" non-shooting sections;
- story is not good.

Of those, it's that 2nd one that scares me. My question is this: playing this, on normal (normal? what's recommended as equivalent of Halo Heroic?), are the shit sections merely "not good," or rather something so frustrating that it might be bad enough to block progression of the game? Any checkpoint spacing issues around these sections?

I'm willing to give it a shot, if you guys assure me there's nothing egregious in here.

Shoeless, you know in Ace Combat 5 there's this awful mission where you can't go above mountain level, or else you get shot out of the sky, but you have to shoot down these enemy planes within 15 minutes, or game over? So you fly around tight canyons for 15 minutes trying to do this stupid thing, and if you fail, start over?

That kind of shit.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 AM

It sucks and you should skip it. Play a different game instead.

It looks nice, but the game and level design is much lower quality than KZ3. The guns aren't as much fun and the tasks they give you are just plain boring. If you try to play it on hard for the extra trophy, you'll die a lot from far off gun fire while you are stuck out in the open with no cover. The characters and plot are so bad I had no idea what character I was playing or why I was moving to my objectices most of the time. There's one level in particular where you're almost being asked to platform, and if you make a mistake, you are one-hit-killed. That one was incredibly frustrating.

The only good memory I have of that game is a level about a third of a way in where you're in big shipping yard and they give you a sniper rifle, but they spoil that by forcing you to leave your over watch position when you get flooded by enemies who grenade spam you. It's a real spoiled moment.

It felt like a B-team made that game while the A team was working on Horizon. I played about a third of it and was so let down I just deleted it - zero regrets. I didn't play the multiplayer, so I can't comment on that aspect, but I have no problem advising you to skip the campaign.

Last edited by RM; 06-26-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:04 AM

I've tried to play SF on 4 occasions (restarting each time) and it always bores the shit out of me.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:05 AM

Did you play Doom yet Red? If not, you should really check it out. I never played the old games, so I have no nostalgia for the series, but I've really enjoyed the bit I've played on the PC. It's fantastic.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 PM

The story sucks ASS!!!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Did you play Doom yet Red? If not, you should really check it out. I never played the old games, so I have no nostalgia for the series, but I've really enjoyed the bit I've played on the PC. It's fantastic.
I still need to play the new Doom, but can new Doom be as good without the old codes IDDQD and IDKFA? That was the best way to play Doom and Doom 2.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Yes. I played 20 minutes before I upgraded my card. It was cool... nothing wrong with it... sometimes I just get inspired by certain games, the way they appear in my mind, and KZSF for some reason seemed appealing for a moment.

But wow, you guys hate it.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:18 PM

Totally get what you mean. I had the same thing with that game. I had a lot of fun with KZ3, and I was hoping to have a similar experience. Sadly, it was nothing like the PS3 games. Very disappointing.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Yes. I played 20 minutes before I upgraded my card. It was cool... nothing wrong with it... sometimes I just get inspired by certain games, the way they appear in my mind, and KZSF for some reason seemed appealing for a moment.

But wow, you guys hate it.
I didn't hate it. It was a decent shooter, nice graphics, but the story was shitty.

Now Last of Us, THAT game I HATE...and with a passion
Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I didn't hate it. It was a decent shooter, nice graphics, but the story was shitty.

Now Last of Us, THAT game I HATE...and with a passion