Horizon: Zero Dawn Thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Horizon: Zero Dawn Thread

I'll get the ball rolling if anyone else decides to play it.

I'm a few hours in, but so far, I'm very impressed. The story is interesting, if told a little by-the-numbers, though of course the big pull is the mystery of why there are robot dinosaurs running around in a post-apocalyptic world that has reverted back to a natural state.

The big selling point of the game however is the RPG-lite system combined with the combat, which can positively be described as "MGS5-lite." Like MGS5, you get an array of different tools and different ways you can approach the open world combat. So you can go stealth, you can use a bunch of different trap/gadgets, or you can brute force it with straight up ranged/melee attacks, or, of course, use a combination of all those methods.

This game is ABSURDLY good looking on a Pro at 1080p, the super sampling makes everything look gorgeous and sharp. The performance is also quite solid. I've gotten bogged down by hunting and exploration/side quests in the newbie area, but I'll be advancing the story soon and using more gadgets and strategies.

Maybe the most surprising thing about this is how NOT Killzone it feels. Even though this is Guerilla Games, aside from the high visual standards, you'd never know it. I liked KZ2, and thought that was one of GG's best games, but this easily dethrones it. We're probably looking at another highlight of the generation for the PS4.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Watcher of stances

i really want to get into this but halfway through nioh and RE:7 is next in line
Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 PM

This looks waaaaaaaaay better than RE7.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:14 PM

Man this game looks good.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Man this game looks good.
Yeah, my brother-in-laws got early copies...it looks impressive. I hope Sony/Guerilla brings it to PC one day, but not likely.

I was surprised there wasn't much hype for the game here leading up to today's launch. It was all they could talk about for the last month because they needed to beat it before Andromeda.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM
HDD Contributor

I think the crowd here at HD Digest has a particular slant when it comes to games. I admit, I've had my eye on it, but never actually talked about it much because I'm usually a lot more vocal about Japanese and VR games, and this was more of a "conventional" third person Western action game.

But I'm really enjoying the game. Even if the story isn't the most original in terms of beats and narrative moments, the production values on the game and cut scenes is insanely high, almost enough to make up for the average quality of the story. And the open endedness of the game mechanics makes it a lot of fun to just run around hunting stuff down.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:51 PM

Got my copy in the mail today. I might play it tomorrow, we'll see.

I have heard nothing but good things about it though.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I think the crowd here at HD Digest has a particular slant when it comes to games. I admit, I've had my eye on it, but never actually talked about it much because I'm usually a lot more vocal about Japanese and VR games, and this was more of a "conventional" third person Western action game.

But I'm really enjoying the game. Even if the story isn't the most original in terms of beats and narrative moments, the production values on the game and cut scenes is insanely high, almost enough to make up for the average quality of the story. And the open endedness of the game mechanics makes it a lot of fun to just run around hunting stuff down.

I thought maybe it was because it was from the Killzon devs...so.....you know.

How's the sound design? Is it quite open world with a decent level of immersion? Some of the gameplay vids look killer....imagine it at 4K/60fps!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
I thought maybe it was because it was from the Killzon devs...so.....you know.

How's the sound design? Is it quite open world with a decent level of immersion? Some of the gameplay vids look killer....imagine it at 4K/60fps!
I might need to get further into the game, but so far, playing on a 5.1 set up, it hasn't been blowing me away with immersive audio. The sound effects are great, and the music is gorgeously composed, but I haven't really noticed any really "wow" audio moments with the speakers. It's probably just because the first few areas are comparatively tame in terms of wildlife and such, but it's not like say, Yakuza 0, where you walk down the street and hear cars, people screaming in Japanese and the dampened "thump" of bass coming from night club somewhere in the distance that makes you feel like you're deep in the middle of downtown Tokyo.

That may change as I get into the wilder, more untamed areas, but for now, aside from the rustling of trees from different directions, it hasn't been a very lively soundscape directional audio-wise.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:25 PM

I'm pretty hyped for Horizon. Picked it up yesterday but need to finish Gravity Rush 2 1st. I played a little to see how it looked and hot damn it looked amazing. I wasn't sure if Yakuza would come before Horizon but now I'm pretty sure Horizon is on deck.