Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Badger3920 is offline Member

Sounds like a pretty game, but I'm having the hardest time getting jazzed for this game at all. How much of this game is spent button mashing / setting up combos against countless baddies? All of the trailers show the cavewoman zipping into battle vs a robot or three, or standing on top of a mountain staring at valleys.
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS4
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty game, but I'm having the hardest time getting jazzed for this game at all. How much of this game is spent button mashing / setting up combos against countless baddies?
    None. Unless you count hitting the button a couple of times to use the spear. It's mostly stealth, and setting up traps along with 3ps style bow combat. Have you watched any actual gameplay?
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

RedRedSuit is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    The facial animations are hit or miss, it looked like some parts of the cut scenes had facial animations and others didn't. There were actually a couple of shots that looked photo real.
    Yes, still shots look stunning, but in motion it's uniquey terrible.

To Badger: it's like a less puzzle-oriented Zelda.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty game, but I'm having the hardest time getting jazzed for this game at all. How much of this game is spent button mashing / setting up combos against countless baddies? All of the trailers show the cavewoman zipping into battle vs a robot or three, or standing on top of a mountain staring at valleys.
    Honestly, I would advise you to stay away from it, I don't think it's your cup of tea. Post-apocalyptic science fiction setting, third person action, and no real shooting elements in the "gun" sense, unless you count bows and sling grenades. It's also more of an open world/RPG setting, with a lot of free exploration and such, so I don't think this lines up with your tastes.

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Yes, still shots look stunning, but in motion it's uniquey terrible.

To Badger: it's like a less puzzle-oriented Zelda.
    I'm talking about in game. There's been a couple of shots in game that were perfect, but mostly it's got bad facial animations and out of sync audio.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Honestly, I would advise you to stay away from it, I don't think it's your cup of tea. Post-apocalyptic science fiction setting, third person action, and no real shooting elements in the "gun" sense, unless you count bows and sling grenades. It's also more of an open world/RPG setting, with a lot of free exploration and such, so I don't think this lines up with your tastes.
    Sounds like I would LOVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Sounds like I would LOVE IT
    I'm enjoying it quite a lot myself right now, but I know the whole open world, hunting, collect-a-thon thing sprinkled with "Try to figure out why Zoids are running around Colorado" storyline is not for everyone.

Boston007 is offline Member

I'm enjoying it quite a lot myself right now, but I know the whole open world, hunting, collect-a-thon thing sprinkled with "Try to figure out why Zoids are running around Colorado" storyline is not for everyone.
    Pretty sure I am going to trade in my PS4 in the next few weeks for a Pro and hopefully get Horizon on sale. I also want to get Mass Effect Andromeda.

I haven't gotten to the really big machines, unless we count the giraffes or sabertooth tigers. I've put in a decent chunk of time. So far I'd say it's definitely a good game but not great, yet. I mean it's clearly better than the by-the-numbers Ubi icon-fests like Ass Creed. But nothing has happened gameplay-wise to really make me say WOW other than visually. I look forward to seeing some other types of areas other than Colorado.

(Animal and area names are not real.)
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    But nothing has happened gameplay-wise to really make me say WOW other than visually. I look forward to seeing some other types of areas other than Colorado.

(Animal and area names are not real.)
    Actually the area name is real. You get confirmation later of the exact region this takes place in if you engage in collect-a-thons. That's not critical to plot, just an extra bit of info they threw in for the hell of it.

As far as the "Wow" other than visually, I think the gameplay really kicks up a notch once you expand your repertoire of weapons. There's a nice range of tactics you can use to take down robo-dinos. Not as insane as the range of MGS5, but still you get a pretty diverse toolset of weapons for different playstyles.

I actually like knocking components off robo-dinos individually, by either strapping them down first, or stunning them with shock weapons, but there are lots of approaches.

Cool. I was expecting as much, based on trailers. Just saying it'll need some patience, as the game doesn't whet one's appetite with the epic stuff to start.

Indeed. I bought the War Bow (electric arrows) and Rope Immobilizer Gim early. By the text description they seemed perfect for the ol' shooting of the fire canister on the tiger belly, etc.

I like shooting one fire arrow at the deer robot's fire canister. The big incendiary explosion 7 seconds later is satisfying, including how it tends to cook the other deer robots, plus the neighborhood non-robot rats, turkeys, foxes, etc.

weasl is offline Member

How far is everyone? I must hit Meridian myself and saw Mr. Tex in the distance and promptly avoided the shit out of him (he was 2x my level). Pretty awesome experience sneaking past, game definitely makes me pull back on my usual Rambo style kill everything approach.

I think I'm only a little further than you. Hit Meridian, advanced the story a little bit more, then got totally, completely, utterly side-tracked by hunts to get the components to buy the purple gear, as well as just going after collectibles like mugs and vantage points. I think I'm approaching level 40, and I still have to go off and investigate the big mysteries from Meridian.

weasl is offline Member

I think I'm only a little further than you. Hit Meridian, advanced the story a little bit more, then got totally, completely, utterly side-tracked by hunts to get the components to buy the purple gear, as well as just going after collectibles like mugs and vantage points. I think I'm approaching level 40, and I still have to go off and investigate the big mysteries from Meridian.
    Yeah I did a hunt for a Charger for a new bow and got waylaid by some of the flying machines . I basically took down the Charger and they all attacked the corpse like vultures. I actually advanced the story a bit past that, finishing the first two story missions in Meridian. About to go look into upgrading my armor to purple, already got 2 of my bows to that stage.

I'm nowhere near Meridian and only level 16.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast