WatchDogs 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Watcher of stances

Default WatchDogs 2

anyone else playing it?

i was put off by the awful steam version performance but picked up the PS4 version during xmas sale. it took a while to grow on me but have completely dropped all other titles lately.

combat and driving are still hokey but the open world that this game has is impressive.
really puts GTA5 to shame in that regard.

could also do without the lame hipster vibe from most of the characters but it's tolerable.
addition of the RC/drone come in handy.

looks pretty good upscaled to 4k, performance was fixed with patch post-launch.
soundtrack is way better than original WD title.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 AM

Should I even bother looking at it if I didn't play the first one? I like a few open world games.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Watcher of stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Should I even bother looking at it if I didn't play the first one? I like a few open world games.
there's very little connecting story between the two.
i really liked the first title and it can be had very cheap these days
Old 01-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Was pleasantly surprised by it. Fun missions, funny characters and story, and best of all a somewhat freakishly spot-on impression of (and satire of) the Bay Area where I live. The mission involving infiltrating "Nudle" (Google) as an employee had me dying laughing. I don't know if this factor will hit people from other places the same way. However at least you will get a good feel for what it's like here, haha.

The characters are actually good. Was very afraid from the trailers, but they're basically just young kids trying to do good. They're pretty funny. This could've been a real disaster but is actually a plus, believe it or not. Their unexplained willingness to kill security guards and cops is a turn-off (it's not explained and is just kind of "there" for the main character to do if he chooses).

I never played the original. There appear to be very few connections between the two games. I really feel they didn't want to saddle this game with any baggage from that disappointment.

Looks great on PS4 Pro (looked pretty good on vanilla hardware too; literally was playing that game during the changeover). I've taken many screen shots and shared on Facebook for comparison to real places.

The driving is just okay. Everything handles kind of the same. It works. The shooting really does suck but hopefully isn't needed much. The hacking is what counts, and it's done very well. Many different ways to go: I found the Jumper robot and Quadcopter drone to be very fun to use to get into places.

I wouldn't say the open world destroys GTA V. V is much bigger and has a lot of nuance and variety. It's a bigger budget thing. However the missions in WD2 are much better overall. V got away critically with very linear main missions. WD2 missions tend to let you actually play the engine a lot more, and both side and main missions tend to be surprisingly good. Even those Uber car service missions have a bunch of hilarious twists I didn't expect (GTA would just have yiu go from point A to point B... let's just say not the case here).
Old 01-06-2017, 09:30 AM

I was so close to buying this on multiple occasions over the holiday sales, but held off. I kind of regret it, but I'm sure I'll grab it sooner than later. I need something to distract me from Rocket League for a while.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Really want to pick this one up at some point. I bought WD1 when it was pretty cheap on psn and still haven't played it though. Not sure if I should just jump to 2 or try to play 1 first.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Waiting on the inevitable price drop. Was to buried in purchases over the holidays to pick up a game that's marketing campaign seems to be aimed far far away from me.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 PM
HDD Contributor

I have every intention of picking this game up eventually, but I tend to prioritize my RPGs and whacky Japanese games first. Still, this is on my radar, and so is Mafia III eventually. I've heard Mafia III is uneven, but I also like the idea of wandering in a racially charged recreation of 60s New Orleans.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Was thinking about picking this one up as it's $40 on PSN right now and I've been itching to play a third person shooter, but hearing the shooting sucks put me off it. Decided to pick up Nathan Drake collection instead.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:27 PM

The game is really not at all about shooting. If you're shooting much you're doing it wrong.