Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by RM View Post
    DGAF. When I finally bumped up to Level 16 the other day, I was super satisfied.
    Hahaha nice job

twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony

I'm the opposite. If a console shits out, I know there's nothing I can do about it. I just have to ask if I got my money's worth from it for the price I paid for it. If so, then I don't feel to bad about them dying. Then there's the other question: Will I theoretically get enough use out of another one to justify the cost? Most of the time the answer is yes.

I'd rather take a half hour trip to Target than spend hours reading over message boards trying to troubleshoot a phantom software problem. At least with a n RROD 360, or a YLOD PS3 you know exactly what the problem is and what is required.

----------------------

The above said, I still love my PC and will get back to it eventually. I also got bitten by the Trophy bug again once I saw a couple of my buddies had creeped up a level or two. I know it's super petty, but I still feel this need to be ahead of them.
    I went through 6- 7 RROD 360 machines. 6-7. I also went through about 3 PS2's, and 3 PSOnes. All stuff I couldn't fix because of proprietary design. The 360 required a harddrive wipe because of a recommendation from their tech support which was the only way they'd allow me to "exchange" my console.

Right now, I haven't experience any type of problem that puts me out for two weeks or more. I can fix it with some research. Usually within an hour. If it requires more than that...I can usually just return my purchase. All my issues have been controller related/BT related recently. That's because of poor support from the dev or Steam rewriting the config files.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I went through 6- 7 RROD 360 machines. 6-7. I also went through about 3 PS2's, and 3 PSOnes. All stuff I couldn't fix because of proprietary design.
    The original Playstation for the most part had one flaw and it was heat related was the laser needed regular calibration. When you were not using it you left it unplugged so as to extend the life. Anyway the calibration was simple, insert a game that had a long intro video and adjust the little screw either direction until the playback was stutter free. Was good for 6 months then you had to do it again.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    The original Playstation for the most part had one flaw and it was heat related was the laser needed regular calibration. When you were not using it you left it unplugged so as to extend the life. Anyway the calibration was simple, insert a game that had a long intro video and adjust the little screw either direction until the playback was stutter free. Was good for 6 months then you had to do it again.
    Or, play it upside down.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

I went through 6- 7 RROD 360 machines. 6-7.
    I had one 360 that RRODed once and worked fine once it was repaired. My YLOD PS3 was replaced with the second Slim model. Both were eventually sold on Craigslist, so I got money back out of them. For me, the value proposition was not that bad. If either console had died on me a second time, I would have been done with the platform.

Certainly PC hardware is much better by comparison.
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

I had one 360 that RRODed once and worked fine once it was repaired. My YLOD PS3 was replaced with the second Slim model. Both were eventually sold on Craigslist, so I got money back out of them. For me, the value proposition was not that bad. If either console had died on me a second time, I would have been done with the platform.

Certainly PC hardware is much better by comparison.
    I don't resell. Also, I was in college. I was spending my money on booze.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RedRedSuit is online now Member

Errrr, it's a matter of luck. I once spent a total of $1,200 on a top-line game PC AROUND BioShock/Oblivion time. First I kept getting this BSOD error (kernel driver error!) in BioShock. The error message referred to a video driver, so I exchanged video card after painful RMA process. No luck. I next assumed it was the new motherboard. I scammed Fry's by doing a surreptitious exchange for the same model (I'm not proud of it and have made amends since). Painful hours for the exchange and replacing motherboard. No luck! Windows was reinstalled at some point. Pure pain. No luck!! Finally I narrowed it down to a hard drive with a corrupted controller. Replaced that via RMA. Fixed! That 2 week period was stressful as shit, and it wasn't free either from all the RMAs and driving.

Oh BTW FEAR then ran somewhat poorly on the top-line hardware, and GRAW and Oblivion and of course Crysis ran embarrassingly on this hardware too.

(This was a low moment for PC gaming. Both hardware and software were stunningly half-assed in a nexus of lameness. So I quit PC until 5 years. I don't deny it's nowadays much better than that low point. But it was BAD. That industry got its act together after realizing it was bad.)

Don't get me wrong. Obviously 360 RROD was as bad as it gets. And also the above was remarkable bad luck and at a low point for the platform, plus it was complicated due to a socket change necessitating every basic component being replaced essentially. But overall console vs. PC? I'd much rather have a simple replacement strategy, via warranty or otherwise, than go through the pain above, when something breaks.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

weasl is offline Member

I went through 6- 7 RROD 360 machines. 6-7. I also went through about 3 PS2's, and 3 PSOnes. All stuff I couldn't fix because of proprietary design. The 360 required a harddrive wipe because of a recommendation from their tech support which was the only way they'd allow me to "exchange" my console.

Right now, I haven't experience any type of problem that puts me out for two weeks or more. I can fix it with some research. Usually within an hour. If it requires more than that...I can usually just return my purchase. All my issues have been controller related/BT related recently. That's because of poor support from the dev or Steam rewriting the config files.
    What the hell do you do to your consoles? I lost 1 PS3 and 2 360 dev kits (which ran pretty much 24/7)
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Errrr, it's a matter of luck. I once spent a total of $1,200 on a top-line game PC AROUND BioShock/Oblivion time. First I kept getting this BSOD error (kernel driver error!) in BioShock. The error message referred to a video driver, so I exchanged video card after painful RMA process. No luck. I next assumed it was the new motherboard. I scammed Fry's by doing a surreptitious exchange for the same model (I'm not proud of it and have made amends since). Painful hours for the exchange and replacing motherboard. No luck! Windows was reinstalled at some point. Pure pain. No luck!! Finally I narrowed it down to a hard drive with a corrupted controller. Replaced that via RMA. Fixed! That 2 week period was stressful as shit, and it wasn't free either from all the RMAs and driving.

Oh BTW FEAR then ran somewhat poorly on the top-line hardware, and GRAW and Oblivion and of course Crysis ran embarrassingly on this hardware too.

(This was a low moment for PC gaming. Both hardware and software were stunningly half-assed in a nexus of lameness. So I quit PC until 5 years. I don't deny it's nowadays much better than that low point. But it was BAD. That industry got its act together after realizing it was bad.)

Don't get me wrong. Obviously 360 RROD was as bad as it gets. And also the above was remarkable bad luck and at a low point for the platform, plus it was complicated due to a socket change necessitating every basic component being replaced essentially. But overall console vs. PC? I'd much rather have a simple replacement strategy, via warranty or otherwise, than go through the pain above, when something breaks.
    This pretty much sums up why I stopped PC gaming. My previous cycle was just to buy a new PC once things started breaking down. I never did figure out what happened to my last gaming PC which started to randomly power down. It was either the motherboard or the power supply but after dealing with it's shit for a year I just tossed it and bought a cheap piece of crap to surf the web on.

For some people it's worth the effort, but after 20 years I was sick of dealing with PC issues just to play the (mostly) same games in higher resolutions.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post

2005 was the year I left PC gaming and went console. FEAR was a POS unoptimized devil of a product and it made me hate the idea of "hardware chasing." I literally had the most powerful GPU and one of the highest end enthusiast grade CPUs at the time of that product launch. I even OC'd it. I couldn't get 60fps out of that fucking game. Though, Doom 3 ran at like 200fps. HAHAHAHA

So, yes, I understand the complaints and I know problem solving can be tedious. However, PC still puts most of the fixes in your hands. I'm not exactly at the mercy of a middle man when fixing an issue. I have my methods on eliminating hardware errors and focusing in a software. There's a method you learn after the first couple builds.

Like, I would have never thought of a bad PSU causing my RAM to get fucked up. Now, I swap my PSU every build/5 years.
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    What the hell do you do to your consoles? I lost 1 PS3 and 2 360 dev kits (which ran pretty much 24/7)
    I have rough sex with them. What else?
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

RM
    RM is online now Member

I have rough sex with them. What else?
    PS4 - Because Cronie

PC - Fractal Design R4, 3570k w/Corsair H90, 2 x GTX 970 Reference in SLI, 256GB 850 Evo SSD + 2TB HDD, 60" LED TV, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound - Add me on Steam: rm082e

Boston007 is online now Member

Nier is currently 39.99 on Amazon right now. I'm tempted but will wait for a drop. Not much time to play right now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345