Final Fantasy Versus XIII/XV Thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-29-2016, 01:36 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Final Fantasy Versus XIII/XV Thread

So... I'm probably not the only that's playing this right now, right? What do you other JRPG fans think so far?
Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 PM

It's on the way; I'll probably wait for the alleged December PS4 Pro patch for extra modes before starting it. I'm deep into Watch Dogs 2, which is awesome, anyway.

Looking at reviews, I think I'll like it a lot. There will be plenty to criticize, but it looks like a next-gen version of Final Fantasy XII (iffy story, strong world and dungeons, gameplay), which I loved. I think critics were ready to pounce and rip it a new one, so the fact it's getting good (if not 90+ range like in the old days of the franchise) reviews is a sign that it's a great game after all.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:20 PM

*please be good*
*please be good*
*please be good*
*please be good*
*please be good*
*please be good*
Old 11-29-2016, 05:24 PM
HDD Contributor

It's decent for me so far. I'm getting some Dragon Age: Inquisition vibes off it so far in terms of the structure of its gameplay. People expecting Witcher III-esque levels of detail and writing in the side-quests will probably be disappointed, but I think the combat in this game may actually be better than in Witcher 3.

I'm actually using a hybrid combat style of "Wait" and "Active" modes, similar to what I did in DA:I, and it seems to work just as well here. The graphics are pretty impressive by open world standards as well, but I'm playing on a Pro, so I can't comment on how it looks on a base PS4.

The story is a bit disjointed though. I think Squenix assumed people would be rabidly interested in this game and watched both the "Brotherhood" anime series on YouTube that built up the main characters, as well as the Kingsglaive CG movie that was released direct-to-video. The game seems to just work under the assumption that you know all this stuff already.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The story is a bit disjointed though. I think Squenix assumed people would be rabidly interested in this game and watched both the "Brotherhood" anime series on YouTube that built up the main characters, as well as the Kingsglaive CG movie that was released direct-to-video. The game seems to just work under the assumption that you know all this stuff already.
Ugh, god I hate it when they do that bullshit. That's an instant turn-off for me.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:02 PM

Personally I've felt these complaints tend to be exaggerated. XIII engendered many complaints about this, but the game's story was self-contained. It was just kind of not very good, is all. Usually the side stories just add a little depth and aren't really needed at all.

I do scoff when people defend a poor story in a game by saying, "But have you checked out XYZ? It's such a deep universe!" That's laughable.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:10 PM

I have actually seen Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, so I guess I'm set in that regard.

My copy came in today. I'll probably be playing it tomorrow, presuming I don't wake up with a headache or something.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:23 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Personally I've felt these complaints tend to be exaggerated. XIII engendered many complaints about this, but the game's story was self-contained. It was just kind of not very good, is all. Usually the side stories just add a little depth and aren't really needed at all.

I do scoff when people defend a poor story in a game by saying, "But have you checked out XYZ? It's such a deep universe!" That's laughable.
Squenix actually has tried to soften the blow a bit on this. There were two additional patches to the game, both about 8 GB in size, and they both included scenes from the Kingsglaive movie to try and give people a bit more background about what was happening. I guess someone over there realized that just having people read headlines off newspapers wasn't quite going to cut it as gripping narrative.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:11 PM

Looks like a real concern this time. Many people have mentioned Kinsglaive is worth watching. I'll have to rent it on Prime or maybe even buy it (I have the collector's bug with FF and MGS stuff... I ordered the FF XV guide, for example).
Old 11-30-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Looks like a real concern this time. Many people have mentioned Kinsglaive is worth watching. I'll have to rent it on Prime or maybe even buy it (I have the collector's bug with FF and MGS stuff... I ordered the FF XV guide, for example).
I think it's on Netflix.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.