Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I think it was on some steaming service a month or so ago. Not that it matters now.
    Brotherhood is on Crunchyroll.
    - Gamer, the true master race -
    PS4 - PS3 - 360 - Wii - Vita - PSP - DS - PC
    Game Collection (Backloggery)

I played it for a couple of hours yesterday. Pretty good. As expected, visually impressive.

My first gen PS4 does seem to struggle a bit at times. It has definitely dipped below 30FPS on occasion.

Also, it was delayed to avoid a day one patch...Gets a ~9GB day one patch anyway.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100
    UHD Player: LG UP970

hdinred is online now Member

I loved the start to this game.. pretty funny/clever..
    DarkRedRain (XBL, PSN, Steam)
    Xbox One The Leader in 4K Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    The question boils down to this: is 4K really worth it? And the answer to that is pretty straightforward - it definitely is. The detail increase is profound in its own right and moves into a different level entirely with HDR engaged. Link

Shoeless is offline HDD Contributor

I'm finding that it's pretty easy to over-level for the main story quests. That's not an issue for me, as I don't mind wading through story quests at all over-powered and over-geared, but for people that want a bit more of a challenge for the main story, I'd advise against doing much in the way of side-quests. Those get pretty generous with the XP.

weasl is offline Member

I put my first bit of good time into it and I'm enjoying it so far, though that's normal for FF games for me. Will say my old complaints still stand with the main cast being meh, and wishing it was turn based. Also the world feels a bit empty, and where the fuck are the actual treasure chests?

Spending way too much time driving and running around areas with nothing to do. They took the idea of a massive open world and forgot to add the density that makes it really great.

Quote Originally Posted by weasl View Post
    I put my first bit of good time into it and I'm enjoying it so far, though that's normal for FF games for me. Will say my old complaints still stand with the main cast being meh, and wishing it was turn based. Also the world feels a bit empty, and where the fuck are the actual treasure chests?

Spending way too much time driving and running around areas with nothing to do. They took the idea of a massive open world and forgot to add the density that makes it really great.
    Have you tried playing the game with the Wait Mode enabled?

I know it's not the way most people are playing it, but the first thing I did with my AP was put it towards maxing out the entire Wait Mode ascension grid. Now in a fight, once I stop moving, the game goes into wait mode, I can keep it there indefinitely, scan all enemies for additional bonus damage with the other characters and even target specific body parts of the enemies if I'm trying to break a mech cannon, or snap off a horn.

It plays a lot more like Dragon Age this way, so in all honesty, I'm not entirely sure what "regular" combat in this game is like 'cause it's been Wait Mode all the way for me.

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Have you tried playing the game with the Wait Mode enabled?

I know it's not the way most people are playing it, but the first thing I did with my AP was put it towards maxing out the entire Wait Mode ascension grid. Now in a fight, once I stop moving, the game goes into wait mode, I can keep it there indefinitely, scan all enemies for additional bonus damage with the other characters and even target specific body parts of the enemies if I'm trying to break a mech cannon, or snap off a horn.

It plays a lot more like Dragon Age this way, so in all honesty, I'm not entirely sure what "regular" combat in this game is like 'cause it's been Wait Mode all the way for me.
    I'll have to try wait mode. I have no idea why they didn't just put it on a button press.

RedRedSuit is online now Member

I watched Kingsglaive, which was fine, and put in 2 hours into the game. I really like the feel and look of it. It's hard to guarantee anything at such an early stage, but it just feels like it's going to be a long and epic adventure. Story-wise almost nothing has happened; one of the quietest beginnings I've ever, ever seen. And actually it works, settles one into that bro trip spirit before shit hits the fan.
    Receiver: Denon 3808CI / Remote: Logitech Harmony 1
    Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6 front, RSLCR center, R90 back, Elemental Design sub
    Consoles: Wii, GC+GBAP (digital), Xbox 360 S (250GB), PS3 (+320GB), PS4, GBA SP
    PC: Intel i7 3770k (+10%), nVidia GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB, HDMI to receiver
    Set top boxes: Apple TV 1G 160GB, DirecTV HR44 HD DVR, Sony BDP-S6500
    TV: Samsung UN55D6000 55" LED TV

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

Prefacing this with the note that I haven't enjoyed a FF since FF12

Played about 30 minutes....and I already hate the combat.
    Did a "hunt" behind the first station and it's just a mess fighting so many enemies.
    Even the tutorial irritated me.
    Perhaps this just isn't the genre for me any longer but I'll keep playing a bit more.

The frame pacing of 4K is noticeable but not as much as the jaggies in "lite" mode.
    Shadow pop-in is distracting, there's a visible line of when they appear
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

KTA
    KTA is offline Member

I'm probably 60 hours in or so. There's a lot I like, there's a decent amount of stuff I do not like. Combat gets way better once you unlock some ascension combos with your bros and have more skills unlocked. Having said that the ascension tree is pretty much the sphere grid dumbed down... Which isn't nearly as satisfying to level up. And honestly feels like they copied the Witcher's skill grid.

And yah this whole concept of open world RPG devs seem to fall in love with as of late is neat on some levels as far as exploration goes but at the same time rarely feels populated enough and most the locations are cookie cutter BS with no real depth. When you look at what Dragon Age 1 did with it's contained areas and how much shit there was to do in each area with specific NPCs and stories that were memorable compared to Dragon Age 3s generic open world romp of fetch quests you'll get my complaint.

I had the same complaint with Witcher 3, too many little one off colonies had no real characters to them. Just a few huts with a bounty board. In FF15 they make it more generic, hey here is a random gas station, diner and merchants. We'll dabble some quests in for you randomly by making the same 3 people spawn at these locations randomly to give you a cumbersome fetch quest. To top if off the "cities" are pretty much as dense as an outpost as far as things to do. Why we didn't have a rebel base of sorts or camp anywhere to customize feels like a missed opportunity (the hunters kinda do but you're never involved)

While this game has some bitchin moments (I just completed chapter 9) it still suffers from a dude bro mainstream gamer cash grab attempt. There's so much missing when you look at the real depth of what used to make great JRPGs. It just begs the question why can't we bring games like Final Fantasy 6, Xenogears, or Chrono Trigger back to the forefront and modernize them???

I don't understand what people love about this "Open world" concept so much when it results in a bunch of aimless running around most the time with generic encounters. You could argue Assassin's Creed II had a more interactive open world...

We need to make JRPGs great again.

Quote Originally Posted by KTA View Post
    To be fair, I'll still take this over FFXIII.

The game really shows what happens when you have 10 years to mess around with different design ideas. It's weird how it starts out open world, and then once you start moving into the second half, becomes more traditionally JRPG-ish, with a more focused, funneled game.

As far as open world standards go, I'm okay with the density they have here. Assassin's Creed Unity was probably the zenith of ridiculous, over-stuffed open worlds. When you opened the map there the first time, it was crammed with icons, you could barely make anything out.

I agree with you about Dragon Age: Origins, that game struck a nice balance. Even DA2 did the same thing, then they kind of lost the plot with Inquisition. I'm enjoying the game so far, and the Bros are even growing on me, though I'm putting it on hold as of tonight to play The Last Guardian. That takes priority over EVERYTHING.

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTA View Post
    I'm probably 60 hours in or so. There's a lot I like, there's a decent amount of stuff I do not like. Combat gets way better once you unlock some ascension combos with your bros and have more skills unlocked. Having said that the ascension tree is pretty much the sphere grid dumbed down... Which isn't nearly as satisfying to level up. And honestly feels like they copied the Witcher's skill grid.

And yah this whole concept of open world RPG devs seem to fall in love with as of late is neat on some levels as far as exploration goes but at the same time rarely feels populated enough and most the locations are cookie cutter BS with no real depth. When you look at what Dragon Age 1 did with it's contained areas and how much shit there was to do in each area with specific NPCs and stories that were memorable compared to Dragon Age 3s generic open world romp of fetch quests you'll get my complaint.

I had the same complaint with Witcher 3, too many little one off colonies had no real characters to them. Just a few huts with a bounty board. In FF15 they make it more generic, hey here is a random gas station, diner and merchants. We'll dabble some quests in for you randomly by making the same 3 people spawn at these locations randomly to give you a cumbersome fetch quest. To top if off the "cities" are pretty much as dense as an outpost as far as things to do. Why we didn't have a rebel base of sorts or camp anywhere to customize feels like a missed opportunity (the hunters kinda do but you're never involved)

While this game has some bitchin moments (I just completed chapter 9) it still suffers from a dude bro mainstream gamer cash grab attempt. There's so much missing when you look at the real depth of what used to make great JRPGs. It just begs the question why can't we bring games like Final Fantasy 6, Xenogears, or Chrono Trigger back to the forefront and modernize them???

I don't understand what people love about this "Open world" concept so much when it results in a bunch of aimless running around most the time with generic encounters. You could argue Assassin's Creed II had a more interactive open world...

FF15 feels a lot like a game made by people who don't really play games, and didn't really play this game. I really wish they had just stuck with mastering the art of turn-based ATB style combat instead of trying to reboot themselves. You look at the companies making really great games that they're mimicking and they're really people that have been making the same types of games, learning from them, and getting better at making them.

That said this game wastes my time soooo damn much. From waiting 5 minutes to drive through some worthless location, to stupid little things like not having any active quest markers except for those that you have selected (so you can't say.. do multiple at once easily), to all the random cutscenes you have to watch over and over for mundane stuff.

weasl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    To be fair, I'll still take this over FFXIII.

The game really shows what happens when you have 10 years to mess around with different design ideas. It's weird how it starts out open world, and then once you start moving into the second half, becomes more traditionally JRPG-ish, with a more focused, funneled game.

As far as open world standards go, I'm okay with the density they have here. Assassin's Creed Unity was probably the zenith of ridiculous, over-stuffed open worlds. When you opened the map there the first time, it was crammed with icons, you could barely make anything out.

I agree with you about Dragon Age: Origins, that game struck a nice balance. Even DA2 did the same thing, then they kind of lost the plot with Inquisition. I'm enjoying the game so far, and the Bros are even growing on me, though I'm putting it on hold as of tonight to play The Last Guardian. That takes priority over EVERYTHING.
    I honestly liked FFXIII more at this point (14 hours in).

The one thing that I really, really like about how they handled the story this time is that they kept it simple. My two biggest issues with FFXIII were the not very likable personalities of nearly the entire cast (my God, Vanille...) and the pointlessly complicated story they were trying to tell.

Here, they keep things simple. They concentrate on the Bros, build up their characters, and then give you a plot you can follow, with simple, deposed prince stuff, as opposed to L'Cie, Fal'Cie, "We are fighting our focus," and all kinds of bizarre, made up, meta-physical/existential angst. I wasn't a big fan of Lightning, especially when compared to other FF female characters like Terra or Celes. Here, with the random conversations and character-building scenes, they actually take the time to make you understand and hopefully like these characters.

KTA
    KTA is offline Member

At least FF13 had "My Hands"

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast