'Mafia III (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-21-2016, 09:35 AM
HDD Editor

Default 'Mafia III (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Mafia III (Xbox One)' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/34398..._xbox_one.html
Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Had heard that this game is too much about side missions and gets very tedious. Did noone playtest and offer feedback?

That really sucks about the part of the Police being supreme in this game. A little too real it sounds like. Do they give chase for running red lights or stop signs? Or having fender benders with other people's vehicles? A ploy I used to enjoy in GTA IV or later was to smack someone's car just out of sigh of the cops, have the driver get out and chase me, then allow them to punch me in view of the cops. Do the cops respond to crimes AGAINST you?

There is some noise out there right now about the IRA complaining and certain organizations complaining about the content. I guess there's a mission in which you steal some cars so the IRA can plant bombs in them back in mother Ireland. Is it really a complaint or just a ploy to create controversy to sell more games?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:11 AM

Yep, the cops will chase you for something as innocuous as running a red light. Witnesses will call the police if they observe a violent crime. Cops are in the Italian mafia's pocket and don't care if you're the victim of a crime. If they stumble upon a fight between you and other criminals, they will help them try to kill you, and unlike the criminals will keep respawning if killed.

I don't think 2K/Hangar 13 is trying to create a controversy - it's just a complaint from easily offended people. The game doesn't "trivialize terrorism" any more than it does violent crime, racism, forced prostitution, etc. Apparently that Irish MP is totally OK with depicting those things, but heaven forbid this professional criminal sells cars to the IRA.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Watcher of stances

finally got through my backlog to start playing this and really enjoying it as "far cry 3 in a 60's inner city" simulator.
you drive around taking over "forts" by either stealth or force, rinse and repeat.
i'm a sucker for this formula, even clearing icons off the collectibles map feels like it always does.

framerate on Xbox One X is smooth....at a large cost.
pop-in is everywhere, the LoD line is about 20 feet in front of you and is distracting.
character models are impressive, especially in cut scenes.
soundtrack should win an award but i'm fond of that era of music.

i've never driven a 60's car so i have to believe they were going for historical accuracy and they drove like boats back then. it's awful, reminds me of LA Noire so perhaps that's expected.
there's too much going on with all the rackets and territories, it's a micro-management game within a game.
it's confusing and i don't like it.

complaints about the cops are valid, unless you start out in a fast car you're not getting away.
i suspect the game didn't do very well but hopefully this doesn't prevent mafia 4 from being made.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 AM

The Far Cry comparison is very interesting to me as I love those games, but I'm guessing they don't give you a sweet bow to shoot dudes with?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:48 PM

I finished it last year and enjoyed it. The cops can be irritating but once you get used to dealing with them (shooting out their tires and the girl that can call them off) they're more manageable.