Final Fantasy XV is... good?! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 AM

Default Final Fantasy XV is... good?!

First VR kicks a bit of ass. Then Battlefield comes out with not just a decent campaign but apparently something actually special.

And then... major outlets publish glowing previews, for the first time ever, of FF XV's first 15 hours. I'm talking Polygon, GameSpot, IGN here.

If by some miracle TLG turns out great, we can pronounce cynicism officially dead.

Or maybe events are just killing me into a false sense of security.

Last edited by RedRedSuit; 10-20-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:00 PM

If I could, I would create a review site that review products through the mindset of Silver_Cat.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:35 PM
HDD Contributor

Could mean that the last generation of transitioning over to HD was pretty tough on everyone, but now that they've gotten their legs this generation, they can get back to concentrating more specifically on good design, rather than just dealing with technical hurdles.

I'm still remaining cautious about FFXV, but it does look like some of the Japanese developers are "back," in a sense. Import talk on Persona 5 is that it's actually BETTER than both P3 and P4, Nier: Automata is looking great, Gravity Rush 2 looks amazing, if you want a turn-based FF JRPG, World of Final Fantasy is out next week, the first Yakuza game on PS4 comes out in the West in January, and we may be getting remasters of Ace Combat 5 and Ridge Racer 4 on top of a new Ace Combat 7 game in VR.

If FFXV actually ends up being very good, I'm not sure what to think anymore. Maybe it really is the Age of Aquarius.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:41 PM

I'm hoping WoFF gets a PC release.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:44 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I'm hoping WoFF gets a PC release.
I messed around with the demo on PS4. It's definitely not for everyone with the cutesy, chibi graphics, but the combat and Pokemon collection systems are pretty deep. My wife is a big fan of deep systems, so she's already called dibs on this game and I probably won't get to play it much myself.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I messed around with the demo on PS4. It's definitely not for everyone with the cutesy, chibi graphics, but the combat and Pokemon collection systems are pretty deep. My wife is a big fan of deep systems, so she's already called dibs on this game and I probably won't get to play it much myself.
It's about the content, I don't care much about the physical presentation of it. I grew playing the stuff, and it rarely factors in. I just want a compelling enough reason to invest my time. If it's fun, it's fun.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:32 PM

I'm hype for it, watched the movie prequel to the game & the anime and really liked them both. And now I have more of an appreciation for the characters even if the prince comes off as a cliche Japanese dweeb.

PS4 Pro incoming and dat version likely.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTA View Post
I'm hype for it, watched the movie prequel to the game & the anime and really liked them both. And now I have more of an appreciation for the characters even if the prince comes off as a cliche Japanese dweeb.

PS4 Pro incoming and dat version likely.
I watched the anime episodes, but still haven't seen the CG movie. How did that hold up?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I was kind of underwhelmed with the demo but I still plan to pick it up. IDK the game just felt like it was incredibly slow in everything it did. I probably needed to adjust some settings but still for a turn based game why the hell would you make people sit around and wait between the turns.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:59 PM

The demos were all bad or mediocre in one way or another. So have been the various gameplay presentations. Most reviews of the CG film have been very negative also.

That's what makes this news so surprising. Looks like they pulled it together after all.

That Valkyria game is coming too....