Halo 3: Fastest-Selling Pre-Ordered Video Game in History - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-09-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Halo 3: Fastest-Selling Pre-Ordered Video Game in History

Quote:
Microsoft announced today that preorders in North America for Halo 3 have exceeded the 1 million milestone. The company also announced upcoming promotions for the game. Below is the press release with the announcement:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Halo 3” Becomes Fastest-Selling Pre-Ordered Video Game in History, Soaring Past 1 Million Milestone

Blockbuster consumer brands including 7-Eleven, Burger King Corp., Comcast, Mountain Dew and Pontiac unveil unprecedented support for the launch of this year’s biggest entertainment event.

REDMOND, Wash. — Aug. 9, 2007 — As the countdown continues for the entertainment event of the year — the launch of “Halo® 3” — the video game continues to set records and establish new precedents for an entertainment launch. Today, Microsoft Corp. announced that preorders in North America for the exclusive Xbox 360™ title have exceeded the 1 million milestone. In addition, Microsoft unveiled the first exciting details of upcoming promotions from leading consumer brands, including Mountain Dew, 7-Eleven, Pontiac, Comcast and Burger King Corp.

In a strategy utilized in other big entertainment launches, retailers around the world have begun taking preorders, enabling consumers to order one of the three versions of “Halo 3”: Standard Edition, Limited Edition and the ultra-collectible Legendary Edition. In fact, demand has been so strong for the Legendary Edition of the game that it is expected to be sold out by the time the game launches on Sept. 25. Retailers have also noted that the presales for “Halo 3” are the fastest in video game history.

“What we’ve experienced is nothing short of phenomenal,” said Bob McKenzie, senior vice president of merchandising at GameStop Corp. “‘Halo 3’ has eclipsed many previous records and will prove to be one of the must-have items of 2007.”

“The excitement for ‘Halo 3’ is incredible,” said Jill Hamburger, vice president of movies and games at Best Buy. “From our preorders online and the buzz we’re hearing in our stores, we know this release is going to be one of the biggest entertainment events of the year. We’re thrilled to be able to bring it to our customers.”

For the first time in video game history and on par with the scope of major movie releases, some of the world’s biggest consumer brands have aligned to support the launch. Many plan to offer a variety of promotions that give consumers the opportunity to obtain unique “Halo 3”-branded products and prizes and participate in one-of-a-kind “Halo 3”-themed events.

“This September, ‘Halo 3’ will push video game entertainment into the forefront of mainstream culture,” said Chris Di Cesare, director of creative marketing at Microsoft. “Teaming up with some of the world’s strongest and most recognizable brands is trailblazing new paths and cementing video games as big entertainment on par with major event films, and is a testament to the excitement and anticipation intrinsically linked to ‘Halo 3.’”

Mountain Dew will unveil the first beverage co-branded with a video game, Mountain Dew Game Fuel. Game Fuel has the same great taste of Mountain Dew with an invigorating blast of citrus cherry flavor and added caffeine for maximum intensity. Game Fuel will come in 20-ounce bottles, 2-liter bottles and 12-packs of 12-ounce cans and will be available nationwide for a limited time starting Aug. 13, 2007.

7-Eleven today confirmed its plans to support the launch of “Halo 3” through a variety of in-store promotions, including three “Halo 3”-branded collectible Slurpee cups. In addition,7-Eleven will run a “Halo 3” promotion with Mountain Dew Game Fuel and Doritos, with thousands of “Halo 3”-themed prizes, including, as grand prize, a chance to win a role as a voice actor in the upcoming Xbox 360 video game, “Halo Wars™,” by Ensemble Studios. In a few select markets, Mountain Dew will offer a special-edition aluminum bottle of Mountain Dew Game Fuel with an exclusive design created by Bungie Studios, the developers of “Halo 3.” This bottle will be available in very limited quantities, making it a highly sought-after collector’s item.

Pontiac will provide consumers with several exclusive “Halo 3”-related opportunities. It will host Pontiac Gamers Garage events in select locations, providing consumers with a chance to play the game for the first time before its release. In addition, in support of the launch of its upcoming high-performance G6 GXP Street, Pontiac will provide 1,000 consumers with a copy of the game, and one lucky gamer will win a limited-edition “Halo 3” G6 GXP Street car.

Burger King Corp. will continue its sponsorship of Xbox 360 with national, in-restaurant support from Sept. 24 through Oct. 22. “Halo 3”-themed packaging will offer customers access to exclusive content by logging on to http://www.bk.com/halo3 beginning Sept. 23. Graphics will be featured on select packaging, including the 42-ounce cup and King FRYPOD™.

Comcast has also joined the “Halo 3” campaign and will host exclusive video content, including user-generated movies and machinima, on its Web sites http://gameinvasion.net and http://www.ziddio.com. Comcast will also feature standard- and high-definition “Halo 3” videos on its signature ON DEMAND service.

“Halo 3” is also the official sponsor of the Projekt Revolution tour this summer, which includes bands Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance. Exclusive “Halo 3” VIP events will take place in select cities on the tour, where attendees will receive “Halo 3”-themed merchandise and have an opportunity to meet the members of Linkin Park.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14184/...me-in-History/
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 AM

Is this surprising to anybody? Heh
Old 08-10-2007, 02:50 AM

I honestly don't believe this.

Halo 1 and Halo 2 (combined for 15million in sales). Pokemon Diamond and Pearl have already sold close 13 million world wide, in what a matter of three months? Why do I doubt presales on Halo 3 beat that of the Pokemon mania?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentmist View Post
I honestly don't believe this.

Halo 1 and Halo 2 (combined for 15million in sales). Pokemon Diamond and Pearl have already sold close 13 million world wide, in what a matter of three months? Why do I doubt presales on Halo 3 beat that of the Pokemon mania?
Dude, we're talking about pre-orders here. The game hasn't even came out. This is huge for Xbox360.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:02 AM

It was expected. There are a lot of people who were waiting to purchase a 360 till Halo 3 came out. So it comes as now shock to me.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Hey Master X, how good is that Shadowrun game? Would you recommend buying it? You think it's better than GoW? And yes, I am writing a book. lol
Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM

I think Shadowrun is the deep game on 360. I myself didnt the gears vs play. All i played was R6: Vegas, Graw 2, and Halo 2.
Shadowrun is very deep its not a run and gun or who has the better weapon game. Its all about teamwork.
Its kinda like CounterStrike but better.
The demo thats out isnt that good atleast rent it and play all 6 training modes.
I would go into more dts but im not on a pc
Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Dude, we're talking about pre-orders here. The game hasn't even came out. This is huge for Xbox360.
I am talking about preorders as well. I preorder a ton of stuff around my house, each EB games/Gamestop were completely booked on over 300 copies each for Pokemon when I decided at the last minute to give it a try. We have about 6 of them in the area. Halo 2 was huge as well and only managed to move 8million copies I was just wondering if there were some numbers around to actually back up what this guy is saying.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Pokemon is rated E so kids can buy it with there parents unlike halo.
Halo is at 20 million if you count the pc versions.
Plus the Gameboys are cheap.
Since Halo 2 sold 2 million in 24 hours, id say this is true.
No other game as down that.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
Pokemon is rated E so kids can buy it with there parents unlike halo.
Halo is at 20 million if you count the pc versions.
Plus the Gameboys are cheap.
Since Halo 2 sold 2 million in 24 hours, id say this is true.
No other game as down that.
Pokemon did....

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl went on sale in Japan earlier today, and the results were stunning. Despite having shipped 1 million copies of each version, all 2 million games were sold out within hours of hitting the shelves. Demand for the game also sparked a jump in DS Lite sales, with over 500,000 units sold in the same time period.

http://www.n4g.com/nintendods/News-10939.aspx