'No Man's Sky Limited Edition (PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-12-2016, 03:51 PM
HDD Editor

Default 'No Man's Sky Limited Edition (PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'No Man's Sky Limited Edition (PS4)' review is up. This was a rough one.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/37116...ition_ps4.html
Old 08-12-2016, 04:56 PM

Heard mixed things about this game. I'm still looking forward to finally getting to play it when my new computer arrives, but it is a bit disappointing that it has met with such mixed responses.

Still, there is the potential with updates. I mean, the day one patch apparently added quite a few things for example.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 AM

It's kind of interesting for a little while I guess. After the newness wears off there really just isn't any point to the game, as far as I can tell. I'm not sure of the monoliths are providing some sort of coherent background on the various races/cultures or if they are just random snippets that will never form a greater whole.

Mostly, you just farm resources to increase your inventory space so you can farm more resources.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 AM

I've decided I will get this game. I'm just torn between getting the PS4 version or the PC version.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 AM

I got the PC version, and honestly, the review is pretty spot on. It's an incredible technical achievement, but it's effectively a game-engine in search of a game. They've built it as a single player game, but some of the core elements are kinda pointless unless it's multiplayer. E.g. naming plants/animals/planets. What's the point if even you, the player, are unlikely ever to see that planet again? And you have no reason to, because there's nothing to do on those planets except mine resources, to create more slots so you can mine more resources?

It's a damn shame. The visuals are quite beautiful in places, and really do echo the old scifi book covers they wanted to emulate. It also makes a nice change from the usual space-game look. Unfortunately, it seriously needs a game in there.

If they add the ability to construct bases and settlements (which they're supposedly working on... I wouldn't hold your breath) and they added multiplayer to give construction a point, then it might start to be an interesting game.

Also, I can't say how much I hate the auto take off/land. Here's a game where you can travel an entire galaxy/universe of worlds, but you're not allowed to fly close to the surface?! Really?! That was a huge facepalm moment. And the ship controls are simply hideous. I've flown more naturally controlled spacecraft in the earliest 3D games!

Also... How crowded is space? It's just idiotic. According to NMS there are rocks absolutely everywhere. And what's the point in discovering strange new worlds, when every chunk of land has an alien base, or ancient structure or collectible pod thing? Every time you launch from a planet surface, other ships just happen to be there.

The game wants you to spend hours search for simple pointless things, yet when it comes to potentially the more interesting elements, instead of e.g. one alien base on a planet and a nice beacon to make you head there, you get alien structures dotted everywhere so you never have to look far. So they give you full procedural worlds, but absolutely no reason to explore them beyond a small area.

It's such a strange game, truly brilliant in some ways, and beyond terribly thought out in others.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I've decided I will get this game. I'm just torn between getting the PS4 version or the PC version.
PS4 version of course silly.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
PS4 version of course silly.

Why?

PC looks better
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 PM

This one is a pretty solid nope unless it's like $15.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:48 AM

I ended up just getting a refund on Steam. I'll maybe come back to this when it's cheaper and cleaned up a bit.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:41 AM
HDD Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
I got the PC version, and honestly, the review is pretty spot on. It's an incredible technical achievement, but it's effectively a game-engine in search of a game. They've built it as a single player game, but some of the core elements are kinda pointless unless it's multiplayer. E.g. naming plants/animals/planets. What's the point if even you, the player, are unlikely ever to see that planet again? And you have no reason to, because there's nothing to do on those planets except mine resources, to create more slots so you can mine more resources?

It's a damn shame. The visuals are quite beautiful in places, and really do echo the old scifi book covers they wanted to emulate. It also makes a nice change from the usual space-game look. Unfortunately, it seriously needs a game in there.

If they add the ability to construct bases and settlements (which they're supposedly working on... I wouldn't hold your breath) and they added multiplayer to give construction a point, then it might start to be an interesting game.

Also, I can't say how much I hate the auto take off/land. Here's a game where you can travel an entire galaxy/universe of worlds, but you're not allowed to fly close to the surface?! Really?! That was a huge facepalm moment. And the ship controls are simply hideous. I've flown more naturally controlled spacecraft in the earliest 3D games!

Also... How crowded is space? It's just idiotic. According to NMS there are rocks absolutely everywhere. And what's the point in discovering strange new worlds, when every chunk of land has an alien base, or ancient structure or collectible pod thing? Every time you launch from a planet surface, other ships just happen to be there.

The game wants you to spend hours search for simple pointless things, yet when it comes to potentially the more interesting elements, instead of e.g. one alien base on a planet and a nice beacon to make you head there, you get alien structures dotted everywhere so you never have to look far. So they give you full procedural worlds, but absolutely no reason to explore them beyond a small area.

It's such a strange game, truly brilliant in some ways, and beyond terribly thought out in others.
I switched to a crashed ship on a toxic planet, and I had more fun getting it back in action under tough circumstances than I had in the preceding or succeeding several hours of play. In contrast, farming just the right resources to upgrade my warp drive was a annoying slog.

I completely agree that not being able to fly close to land (or really even see below the ship) is a huge annoyance.