What are your suggestions for horror games on PC? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-29-2016, 07:21 PM

Default What are your suggestions for horror games on PC?

I just built a media server and decided to go ahead and make it into a gaming computer as well, so I am looking for opinions on the best horror games for PC. Lovecraft stuff, survival horror, etc.

It is a pretty powerful computer, so I am also looking for high-quality games that can benefit from the setup.

i7 4790k 4.0ghz
16 GB RAM
GTX 1070x overclock edition
etc.

Any great games you can recommend would be appreciated!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:37 PM

Soma
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Amnesia: Machine of Pigs
Alan Wake
The Evil Within

There's some other stuff but I'm at work and can't browse through my Steam Collection.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Watcher of stances

Condemned but not a very good port
F.E.A.R. (not the sequels)
Undying although it is a bit old
Alien Isolation
Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 PM

Outlast
Resident Evil
Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Soma
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Amnesia: Machine of Pigs
Alan Wake
The Evil Within

There's some other stuff but I'm at work and can't browse through my Steam Collection.
Alan Wake was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games. I got 1000 on it and did all the DLC. Great game! I have already picked it up on Steam.

I played the Evil Within on Xbox and enjoyed it. Is there any real difference on PC?

I have heard of Soma, but never seen it... I will definitely check it out. I just looked at some videos and it is on my list.

I played Amnesia a bit, but never got into on my Mac. I was not really into playing on the MacBook Pro, so it could be cool on the PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
Condemned but not a very good port
F.E.A.R. (not the sequels)
Undying although it is a bit old
Alien Isolation
I played F.E.A.R. on the Xbox and it was a fun game. Is there any real difference on the PC that you know of?

I played Condemned as well and really enjoyed it. I might replay it, even though I finished it twice on Xbox.

Alien Isolation was absolutely great! I got it from my friend at SEGA and I have told everyone of its greatness. I will see if I can snag a Steam code from him. I hadn't even thought about this one.

Undying... I will look this one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
Outlast
Resident Evil
Vanishing of Ethan Carter
I bought The Vanishing of Ethan Carter yesterday because I had read that it was Lovecraftian. I haven't found the Lovecraft content yet, but I have enjoyed it so far. It is a very different kind of game, but I like it.

I finished Outlast on the Xbox, and I rather enjoyed it. I don't know that I will re-buy it, but I did like it.

Resident Evil is always fun, but I hate the tank controls... is the Steam version remastered to allow you to control it in a more reasonable way?

THANK YOU for all the suggestions!
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 AM

I heard nice things said about Layers of Fear earlier this year. I think it's kind of like an Adventure Game with psychological horror elements rather than jump scares.

Darkwood is more of an actual game than a lot of the other horror stuff out there, and I've almost bought it twice. The atmosphere looks really good, but it's being developed by a few guys in their spare time, so set your expectations appropriately.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:49 PM

I liked Layers of Fear, Kholat had great atmosphere, but is pretty flawed as a game. SOMA is worth it. If you like your horror with a bit of action the Metro games are solid as well. Also The Park is decent if you can get it cheap. It's really short, with no real gameplay but it's got some cool atmosphere and jump scares.