Question About HDMI Link & The PS4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-08-2016, 07:15 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Question About HDMI Link & The PS4

Don't know whether anyone here would be able to help with this but I just ran into a weird problem with my home theater set up. I have the PS4 plugged into a receiver and that runs into the TV, all of this via HDMI. Up until now, I've used the HDMI link on the PS4, along with the Bravia Sync function on the TV, and it's been smooth sailing. I've been able to turn off the devices by just using the TV remote, and I've been able to turn all the devices by picking up the DualShock 4 and turning that on.

A couple of days ago I noticed that this was no longer case, and turning on the PS4 with the DualShock controller means I still have to dig out the remote for the TV or receiver and turn those on as well. However, if I use the TV remote to turn that off, it still turns off both the receiver and the PS4.

Anyone know what I would need to do to get the PS4 back into being able to activate all devices?
Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 PM

Just a thought - have you pulled the power on your power strip or surge protector to hard reset everything yet? I know that sounds dumb, but it would only take a moment to test.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:44 PM
HDD Contributor

Actually there is no power strip. The particular part of the house the home theater is in actually had enough wall sockets to accommodate everything.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:46 PM

Try unplugging everything at the same time for 2 minutes, plug it all back in and see if that works.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:11 PM
HDD Contributor

I have no idea how you knew that would work, but it did. Thanks a lot, you just made an afternoon of poking with Bravia Sync and HDMI enable on the PS4 worthwhile.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 PM

You said the TV remote would still turn everything off. That means it was still working in one direction, just not the other. Sounded like a sync/handshaking issue, which seems to have been the case.

Now the question is, will it continue to work, or is this the start of a chronic problem? Let's hope it was just a fluke.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Don't know whether anyone here would be able to help with this but I just ran into a weird problem with my home theater set up. I have the PS4 plugged into a receiver and that runs into the TV, all of this via HDMI. Up until now, I've used the HDMI link on the PS4, along with the Bravia Sync function on the TV, and it's been smooth sailing. I've been able to turn off the devices by just using the TV remote, and I've been able to turn all the devices by picking up the DualShock 4 and turning that on.

A couple of days ago I noticed that this was no longer case, and turning on the PS4 with the DualShock controller means I still have to dig out the remote for the TV or receiver and turn those on as well. However, if I use the TV remote to turn that off, it still turns off both the receiver and the PS4.

Anyone know what I would need to do to get the PS4 back into being able to activate all devices?
Weird question but did you mess around with the hdmi plugs in the back? I had that issue for a bit when I removed something from my receiver.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 PM
HDD Contributor

That's the weird part, I did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Didn't touch the HDMI plugs--or anything else--at all. Shut it down for the day, business as usual, turned it on the next, and suddenly HDMI link wasn't working.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:06 PM

I've had this happen before (not with a PS4 though) and as RM said, unplugging usually resolves the issue.