'Dark Souls III (PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 PM
HDD Editor

Default 'Dark Souls III (PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Dark Souls III (PS4)' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/24431...s_iii_ps4.html
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 AM
Watcher of stances

great review, i'm about 6 hours in and loving it.
playing as a knight and it feels like Bloodborne with a shield
Old 04-15-2016, 11:17 AM
HDD Editor

Thanks. The online is so active right now. I remember Dark Souls II being really active, but also flaky. With so much coop available, I would think even really casual players could have fun in DSIII.
I think Bloodborne aggressiveness helps here most of the time.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:06 PM

just got a couple of hours in last night, just got it yesterday since Amazon, for some reason, didnt have release date shipping with this one.

But its awesome stuff, was playing the original Dark Souls on my Xbox One for the past week or so and I've played some of #2 and some of Bloodborne, I hardly ever beat anything so thats why I'm a bit into each one but they are great games, started out super well, didnt die all the way to the Firelink Shrine and then I decided to test my might on that sword guy on the left side of the shrine.....not a good idea right now, I'm not that good to beat him yet as probably are the 80 blood stains laying around there LOL.

So I ventured to the wall and its awesome, the level design is so good in these games, got so far and then got owned by one of those worshipers that turn into the huge demon thing....ah well, cant wait to get back and keep trying
Old 04-15-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
got so far and then got owned by one of those worshipers that turn into the huge demon thing....ah well, cant wait to get back and keep trying
Bumrush those guys and slash like crazy - you can kill them easily before they have a chance to fully transform if you go fast enough. That one that's on the rooftop can be a pain, but he's easy to take out if you sprint.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Bumrush those guys and slash like crazy - you can kill them easily before they have a chance to fully transform if you go fast enough. That one that's on the rooftop can be a pain, but he's easy to take out if you sprint.
Yep and thats exactly the one I died on, well the first one too as of course I didnt know anything about it....there was a note on the roof top so I knew to expect that one, after I knew about the first one I rushed it and killed the guy in one swipe before it had time to do anything
Old 04-28-2016, 10:43 AM

New update for the PC version just came out last night. I updated this morning and I'm now getting proper SLI scaling. Still lots of pop-in, but that seems to be an underlying issue with the engine and probably won't change.

Beat the Deacons of the Deep, upgraded my SellSword Twinblades to Sharp +5, hit 30 on Dex, and am now wrecking pretty solid. I got stomped by the Demon king boss, so I need to learn his attack pattern before I progress further. Still loving the game.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
New update for the PC version just came out last night. I updated this morning and I'm now getting proper SLI scaling. Still lots of pop-in, but that seems to be an underlying issue with the engine and probably won't change.

Beat the Deacons of the Deep, upgraded my SellSword Twinblades to Sharp +5, hit 30 on Dex, and am now wrecking pretty solid. I got stomped by the Demon king boss, so I need to learn his attack pattern before I progress further. Still loving the game.
Where is a good farm souls area?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Where is a good farm souls area?
What I've been doing:

Soul Boosting Equipment

1. Go get the Covetous Silver Serpent ring from the hidden spot at the top of the Firelink Shrine. This gives you more souls per kill.

2. If you're far enough along, go grab the Shield of Want from the Smoldering Lake. You don't have to be strong enough to use it, just equip it and it will also boost the souls earned from enemies.

3. You can also pick up the Symbol of Avarice if you know of a place where a mimic is hanging out, that you haven't killed yet. I think the first one you find is in the room under the dragon on the High Wall of Lothric, then there's one in the Cathedral, and then several shown in the video.

Once you have soul boosting equipment, you can farm anywhere. The brain dead simple method I've been using is easy to access pretty early. You'll need to get through the Crystal Sage boss and get through the second section of Farron Keep.

Go to the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire, turn around, and there are 3 guys down the stairs. These 3 guys give you about triple the souls of the other enemies in the area, and if you've got a fast enough weapon, you can kill them and run back to the bonfire in about 30 seconds. With the Silver Ring, they drop 385 souls a piece, and 462 with the ring and shield of want. It's grinding, but it's easy, mindless grinding. You can put on a podcast or music to pass the time. I gained 6 levels in an hour this morning while listening to Sam Harris. :smile:

There are better spots to farm later on, and some decent spots earlier if you're a magic user.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:26 PM

Nice info there, thanks RM!