'Quantum Break (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-01-2016, 03:03 AM
HDD Editor

Default 'Quantum Break (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Quantum Break (Xbox One)' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/31837..._xbox_one.html
Old 04-01-2016, 11:14 PM

Good review. Better than Giant Bomb.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:36 PM

I just finished the game and I would definitely recommend it. I might play it again and make the opposite choices of the ones I made, just to see how the end changes.

Time Lord

Completed the game on Hard Difficulty. UNLOCKED 10 minutes ago 50
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNine View Post
I just finished the game and I would definitely recommend it. I might play it again and make the opposite choices of the ones I made, just to see how the end changes.

Time Lord

Completed the game on Hard Difficulty. UNLOCKED 10 minutes ago 50
Ahh, I remember doing that with my FAVORITE game - Mass Effect
Old 04-11-2016, 11:00 PM

Quantum Break is a difficult game to review, mostly because I see it as a new form of storytelling.

As a third-person shooter, it excels... but it's not without fault. This is a cover shooter that requires fluidity of movement and choice... It inverts a lot of the "Gears of War"-type of gameplay. However, an argument could be made that it offers the player so much freedom that it results in so many cool-down timers on the right-hand side of the screen that you forget about all the options available to you.

And really, why you forget about all your abilities is because there isn't enough of that shooter gameplay. There are so many lengthy breaks between intense gameplay that, every time you come back to it, you have to relearn it.

That's because there are so many stretches of movie and search-the-environment-for-clues fetch quests that break it up.

...That's not necessarily a criticism.

The "television" full-motion video sequences between the in-game rendered portions are well-acted and as good as anything you'd see on network TV. This isn't "Night Trap." (Though, I have to say, with a nondescript spoiler alert, that when one character kills another ancillary character INSIDE A HOSPITAL IN FULL VIEW OF THE AUTHORITIES - and gets away with it - it drove me nuts because that would never, ever happen. Otherwise, the story is pretty great.)

There are also in-game "exploratory" segments where you navigate your character around the environment in search of clues (and/or upgrades)... And, while they feel a bit tedious for anyone wanting a more moment-to-moment "third-person shooter" game experience, they do draw you into the story.

And you also have an element of choice in how the story unfolds. The choices you make narratively subtly affect what happens in the game and in the cutscenes. Not to the same degree as "Heavy Rain," but it is impressive.

It's easy to view "Quantum Break" as a whole less than the sum of its parts - which are excellent. And I think it's fair to say that it doesn't fully succeed in marrying all of its disparate experiences.

But I admire the game for taking a lot of risks. It's filled with storytelling ambition, fantastic visuals, and a great combat system... It does things I've never seen a game attempt to this degree. What developer Remedy has done is create a new, hybrid form of storytelling... "Quantum Break" isn't exactly a 'game,' it's an experience.

And, while not perfect, it's something that you need to experience.