'Street Fighter V (PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 PM
HDD Editor

Default 'Street Fighter V (PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Street Fighter V (PS4)' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/16729...ter_v_ps4.html
Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 PM

It's very disappointing, although not altogether surprising, that for as long as the story mode is and the fact that it works in all the characters, nothing really happens and even less is explained. I have the same amount of questions I went in with, if not more. Again, considering how this product has been handled from the get-go it's no surprise the story mode would fall short of my meager expectations, but it somehow fell even shorter than I thought possible.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:27 PM

I don't care about story modes in fighters much. Every single one I've ever played is nonsense. I tend to skip MKs and Injustices because it's just nonsense. I look for something that merely acts as a AI ladder for practice. So, SF including a version of that is fine.

I bought this the other day on Steam and I can play it maxed. However, the game has control issues. It also hitches for a split second at the start of every round. I look at this as an asset loading issue. As after that split second, the rest of the round is smooth as silk.

They need to fix the control options and loading issues. Once that's ironed out, it might be the SF I recommend. As it is, it's for diehards only.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I don't care about story modes in fighters much. Every single one I've ever played is nonsense. I tend to skip MKs and Injustices because it's just nonsense. I look for something that merely acts as a AI ladder for practice. So, SF including a version of that is fine.

I bought this the other day on Steam and I can play it maxed. However, the game has control issues. It also hitches for a split second at the start of every round. I look at this as an asset loading issue. As after that split second, the rest of the round is smooth as silk.

They need to fix the control options and loading issues. Once that's ironed out, it might be the SF I recommend. As it is, it's for diehards only.
Nonsense is one thing; I'd have gladly accepted some nonsense in place of 4 hours of nothing. Of course I didn't buy the game for the story, nor did I think it was super important or even necessary. Yet still I felt let down. The cast of the Street Fighter series is great, loaded with personality and the perfect wacky group to unleash some chaos in some aspiring writer's narrative. And they went with the most boring possible approach. I'm almost shocked. No I AM shocked. It sucks even by fighting game standards. And it's the farthest thing from an AI ladder, which you'll find out should you try the mode yourself.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionhaver View Post
Nonsense is one thing; I'd have gladly accepted some nonsense in place of 4 hours of nothing. Of course I didn't buy the game for the story, nor did I think it was super important or even necessary. Yet still I felt let down. The cast of the Street Fighter series is great, loaded with personality and the perfect wacky group to unleash some chaos in some aspiring writer's narrative. And they went with the most boring possible approach. I'm almost shocked. No I AM shocked. It sucks even by fighting game standards. And it's the farthest thing from an AI ladder, which you'll find out should you try the mode yourself.
I did try it out. It tries to emulate that mode from MK/Injustice. Which, I honestly don't care about. It also has a standard AI ladder story mode for individual characters with "still scenes." That's about all I crave.

Personally, the best story mode in a Fighter is probably the BlazBlu series. If, you're into that sort of thing. I tend to find them way too long. Skull Girls is more to my liking.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I did try it out. It tries to emulate that mode from MK/Injustice. Which, I honestly don't care about. It also has a standard AI ladder story mode for individual characters with "still scenes." That's about all I crave.

Personally, the best story mode in a Fighter is probably the BlazBlu series. If, you're into that sort of thing. I tend to find them way too long. Skull Girls is more to my liking.
I still need to play SkullGirls. Maybe I'll start it up this weekend. Going to finish up the SF5 story mode too. Been holding off (well got distracted) from playing it. Probably still won't play it much since MP isn't really my thing these days.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
I still need to play SkullGirls. Maybe I'll start it up this weekend. Going to finish up the SF5 story mode too. Been holding off (well got distracted) from playing it. Probably still won't play it much since MP isn't really my thing these days.
Huge fan of the animations. The system itself is entertaining enough, but not enough of a bite for me to want to learn it. I guess if I had friends more interested...I would probably devote more time to it. Overall, I enjoy the 8 minutes or so it takes to plow through one characters story mode.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Huge fan of the animations. The system itself is entertaining enough, but not enough of a bite for me to want to learn it. I guess if I had friends more interested...I would probably devote more time to it. Overall, I enjoy the 8 minutes or so it takes to plow through one characters story mode.
Yeah i'll probably just plow through story modes like I usually do. I've bought the game twice now and sort of started it once. It's strangely the only fighting game I've bought recently that I didn't actually play.