Wii Firmware 3.0 Update Released - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Wii Firmware 3.0 Update Released

From http://www.nintendic.com/news/851
Quote:
On the ball Nintendo Wii owners might have noticed that the Wii Shop Channel was unavailable for a couple of hours over night, and thatís because the boffins at the firm had been working hard to provide millions of console owners with a firmware update. Nothing drastic, but a few neat little changes all the same.

The Wii Shop Channel has been given the biggest make-over and is now what you might call streamlined. The revamped shop front now includes four recommended titles, with twenty further selected titles just a click away. A list of the channelís most popular games (ordered by download rank) is also available. In addition, titles are now sorted by publisher, genre and system. And if youíre looking for one game in particular, thereís also a new search function.

The biggest amendment to the consoleís main hub is to the Wii Menu, which is now adorned with a new digital clock (sat where the old ĎWii Menuí text used to be). In addition, the Wii News and Weather Channel screens have been tweaked so that they display up to date information, with the latter displaying two lines of scrolling headlines when clicked on.

Other little changes were made to the Wiiís interface. On the Wii Message Board, the Todayís Accomplishment notes now appear as white envelopes, helping users to differentiate between and the standard yellow notes. Also, the calendar ignores your own notes; the scrolling sound effect has been changed to a click and players can now grab and move entrees in their address book by pressing A and B together.

WiiConnect24-enabled consoles will be prompted to download the update next time they power up their Wiis, otherwise just head to the Wii Settings menu and select the Update option when youíre ready for a bit of Wii 3.0 action.

Itís pleasing to see Nintendo taking issue with the Wii Shop Channel, we reckon most would agree it wasnít the simplest of interfaces to work with. And with the Virtual Console library growing bigger week-by-week, weíre sure that search function will come in very handy, indeed.
Was funny because as I was reading this I looked up to see if the slot was glowing on the Wii and it wasnt, then once I finished reading the article I looked up again and sure enough it was glowing.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:03 AM

Here's all the changes made in this update:

In the Main Menu
Clock Display
Disc turns 180-degrees on the Disc Channel icon
News Channel icon displays headlines
Forecast Channel icon now displays the weather without entering the channel
Faster loading times when changing channels/leaving channels
Move contacts on Address Book
Calendar no longer displays envelopes for the amount of time you played, only messages
Light bar goes on when disk is inserted or removed
Able to navigate Wii Settings with + and - on the Wiimote
Scrolling through messages have a new sound, and scrolling with B now displays an arrow similar to the Internet Channel

Shop Channel
New Welcome screen detailing 4 Recommended Titles and the points they cost
Titles You've Downloaded was moved to the main shop menu
New ways to browse
Popular Titles (2 pages of 10 and includes launch games so not only based on recent info)
Search for a title which can use partial names
Search by Category
System shows the different systems and how many titles have been released under each
Publisher showing different publishers and amount of titles released
Genre (different genres listed and amount of titles under each)
Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

i just woke up and walked into my game room. i was wondering why my wii is glowing all over the place. looks like update time.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
i just woke up and walked into my game room. i was wondering why my wii is glowing all over the place. looks like update time.
It just had sex with your 360 and now she's pregnant!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM

thanks for the news, the new updates are excellent, they added some fixes that i wanted
Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 PM

yeh i updated it this morning before i went to work, but i don't really care much for the wii anymore.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:34 PM

yeh you are right it is gonna be a another game cube few and far between games. Very disappointing.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 AM

I was sitting here last night and my Wii lit up. I thought maybe I turned it on by accident so I turned it off lol. Wonder if it updated itself later again or not.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

It also stops action replay and using any imported gc discs on it.

Thank goodness I read that before I downloaded it