'Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-13-2015, 01:13 PM
HDD Editor

Default 'Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/13393..._xbox_one.html
Old 02-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Watcher of stances

finished RoTR 100% tonight, really enjoyed it and almost as good as the 2013 reboot.
achievements bugged after the patch a few days ago but i suppose it doesn't matter.

will likely double dip when the 'remastered' version comes out towards end of the year and includes any story DLC
Old 02-13-2016, 05:06 AM

It's not better than the reboot?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:49 AM
Watcher of stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
It's not better than the reboot?
It's very similar to the reboot, with a worse story.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
Is it paced better then the reboot?
Old 02-13-2016, 02:38 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
That's rather unfortunate. Worse how? I still have every intention of playing it when it hits the PS4 at some point, but my big problem with the first game was Lara's personality split when it came to being scared college girl out of her depth versus unstoppable killing machine that went after every enemy in sight.

Is there more of that here, or is it more of a plot problem?
Old 02-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Watcher of stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Is it paced better then the reboot?
i'm not quite sure how to rank pacing. i never quite felt bored so much as just "let's just wrap all this up"
the 2013 version was a breath of fresh air for the franchise and RoTR uses most of it again, which is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
That's rather unfortunate. Worse how? I still have every intention of playing it when it hits the PS4 at some point, but my big problem with the first game was Lara's personality split when it came to being scared college girl out of her depth versus unstoppable killing machine that went after every enemy in sight.

Is there more of that here, or is it more of a plot problem?
in RoTR, you're even more of an unstoppable killing machine and right from the start.
my main complaint is how even more linear the game is, perhaps i'm spoiled by playing so many open world titles lately.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:40 AM

More fighting or less fighting? Battles are bigger (number of enemies, tactical choices) or not?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Watcher of stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
More fighting or less fighting? Battles are bigger (number of enemies, tactical choices) or not?
More fighting and bigger selection of guns, although I just shot everything in the head with bow. There's a new 'lock on' ability so you get hit up to three targets at once. Pulled out the noob tube for armored types.

Some battles are larger, perhaps 8-10 enemies at once but they'll always seem to stand near explosive objects.

I realized I'm being harsh on the game but I really quite enjoyed my time.
If you liked 2013 TR, play RoTR as its very familiar.

Also noticed ROTR won the writers guild award, they must have loved Raiders of the Lost Ark a bunch.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:29 PM

I'm at the end of the game (probably finish it tomorrow morning) and just echoing what mich has already said - he's spot on.

They have a big focus on crafting explosives (grenades from tin cans, Molotovs from bottles, prox mines from radios, and firebombs from gas cans) with nearly a full third of the perks surrounding it. I found it to be a complete waste of time as headshots with the bow, handgun, and assault rifle are a more efficient way to get through the game. I think the only time I found the crafting stuff useful at all was to gain access to a cave in the Soviet Base area that required explosives to destroy the barrier to get in. I think they intended you to come back to it later once you get the explosive arrows, but I carried a can half way across the base just to see if it would work.

Also, there's now a shop where you can trade in gold coins you find throughout the world (yet another collectible). The highest priced item is the Military Assault Rifle. Once you get into the Village area, you get a big chunk of coins if you've done all the tombs up to that point, and you talk to the right NPC. I had been saving up, so I got the rifle as soon as I got to that area. It pretty much broke the game for me because it's so damn strong. Every fight from there on was just aim in the general direction of bad guy's heads and they all die.

And yeah, story is crap. Like approaching Uwe Boll levels of ham and cheese kind of bad.