'Guitar Hero Live (PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2015, 10:06 AM
HDD Editor

Default 'Guitar Hero Live (PS4)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Guitar Hero Live (PS4)' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/26991...undle_ps4.html
Old 10-20-2015, 03:21 PM

This was the most informative and useful review I've read. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:03 PM

Honestly, both Rock Band and Guitar Hero have been replaced by Rocksmith for me. I haven't played Rocksmith for awhile. I left my bass and my guitar in MD, but that game just offers more and doesn't feel like a waste of time. I always felt Rock Band and Guitar Hero were just big wastes of time. You get nothing out of them, except "fun." However, the fun is fleeting because I only ever enjoyed it when I had friends over. Playing it solo is just sad.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Honestly, both Rock Band and Guitar Hero have been replaced by Rocksmith for me. I haven't played Rocksmith for awhile. I left my bass and my guitar in MD, but that game just offers more and doesn't feel like a waste of time. I always felt Rock Band and Guitar Hero were just big wastes of time. You get nothing out of them, except "fun." However, the fun is fleeting because I only ever enjoyed it when I had friends over. Playing it solo is just sad.
You're sad regardless man. J/K

I had Rock Band and it quickly wore off playing solo. Those games are pure group games IMO.

But for some I can see the enjoyment in playing solo.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I had looked into Rocksmith a little, but it's quite an investment (getting an electric guitar + the game and adapter and all), but how well does it actually work? I have no experience with playing guitar myself.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 PM
HDD Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdizzle View Post
This was the most informative and useful review I've read. Thank you.
It sprawls, but cheers anyway!
Old 10-20-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
I had looked into Rocksmith a little, but it's quite an investment (getting an electric guitar + the game and adapter and all), but how well does it actually work? I have no experience with playing guitar myself.
It works rather well. It takes a bit to get the adjustment for latency right, but once you do it works rather flawlessly. An issue I have is that my bass neck is warped and causes a massive buzz when played open. So, I can't play certain songs and have them register correctly. It's my issue, not the games.

The issue I have with most music games - Rocksmith is included - is song selection. Luckily, Rocksmith includes some Otis Redding and David Bowie, so I have something to play. However, it would be nice if there was a way to include or allow for user mods. I would very much like to play some of my personal favorite albums. It would keep me more motivated.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 AM

I had no problem playing Rock Band solo on drums. Was super-enjoyable and educational. If you like the music and like the gameplay, I don't see why it's any different than any other game. Maybe I'm just sad.

Of course, the enjoyability goes up by like 2x with other people.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:40 AM

These games are designed for crowds of people. Not solo play. Solo play is simply a means to learn the tracks for when the group comes back.

I don't think Rock Band is a "teaching" game. It doesn't really go into the nitty gritty of drumming. I really recommend you give Rocksmith a try so you can understand the difference in approaches.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:33 AM

While I agree that these types of games are typically best suited for group play and parties, I still enjoy solo mode.

With Guitar Hero Live, I am actually really enjoying having to re-learn it a little... but I have to say that I think the biggest drawback with the refreshed controller design is that it only has 6 fret buttons, while it feels like it should have 8. All too often, my pinkie finger feels redundant as it is never used, and I think it would add a greater challenge yet feel a lot more natural if it had just one more column of buttons.

Haven't had a lot of time with the game just yet... hope to check out GH TV tonight.