'Rock Band 4 (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-11-2015, 01:22 AM
HDD Editor

Default 'Rock Band 4 (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Rock Band 4 (Xbox One)' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/26737..._xbox_one.html
Old 10-13-2015, 11:59 AM

Just got my hands on a copy, not too easy to find in my area right now if you didnt pre-order it, with stores getting one or two at a time because of storage, I got lucky and called my local Gamestop at the right time and they had just got one in for me to grab.

Great game so far and its fun to be back, but there are some issues, calibration seems to be an issue all around, mostly with the newer drums, there has already been a firmware update that is supposed to fix the fills and double tapping of the pedal for faster songs, plenty of people on the forums have and are still having issues with the drums and/or game not recognizing faster hits on the pads and the pedal, for some the firmware update worked and things are much better.

Took me hours to go through all the songs they currently have up there to re-add what I can right now, one song that I had bought in a pack (Devil Driver Clouds Over California) isnt available for me to re-download, it says I never bought the song when I know I did, seems like thats an issue as well with certain songs, more in track packs it seems, not registering that people have already bought them. Most of what I bought is up there and I got them downloaded, but there are some that I bought individually I believe but now I have the whole pack? Not complaining there, but it seems like there are some glitches with the store for sure....currently I have 160 some songs in DLC plus what the game has, I still have Rock Band 1 and Rock Band 2 exports that they are supposed to be getting on there at some point.

Right now I'm trying to go back and look at my purchase history for my Xbox 360, but since I dont have the console anymore, it doesnt seem to be readily available on MS's website, wanted to check over what I actually bought to compare if its on the new store or not yet

Overall, I'm a happy camper and am glad to be playing this again, its probably been close to 4 years now
Old 10-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Watcher of stances

does anything have to be done with RB2 instruments to work?

i really want to buy this but may go with rental for now
Old 10-13-2015, 07:03 PM

For Xbox One: If they're wireless they're probably compatible, but you'll need that adapter. If they're wired, they won't work at all.

For PS4: No adapter required, just need your instruments' old USB dongles. Plug and play (per Harmonix).
Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Watcher of stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi van Tine View Post
For Xbox One: If they're wireless they're probably compatible, but you'll need that adapter. If they're wired, they won't work at all.

For PS4: No adapter required, just need your instruments' old USB dongles. Plug and play (per Harmonix).
Thanks, I have PS3 wireless RB2 instruments and GH3 guitar.
I'll rent PS4 version and likely keep it if most of my music transfers over.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:07 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
Thanks, I have PS3 wireless RB2 instruments and GH3 guitar.
I'll rent PS4 version and likely keep it if most of my music transfers over.
That should be the case. The past RB game soundtracks aren't available yet for importing into RB4, they're all set for some unspecified date for now. But the majority of the DLC (except for ones they lost the license to, and even then, if you already bought them, you can download them) is available.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:41 AM

Now that it's out, and I've read up on it, the game seems like basically a pointless purchase to me. Rock Band 3 is plenty and is the obvious peak of the franchise. It's got all the DLC and all the previous game soundtracks (essentially), and shit you don't like from those is all filtered out. The gameplay and menus were already perfected in RB3. It has extra features like online play and pro, even. This is a leave-well-enough-alone situation. Back when it was announced, I worried that might not be the case... but I needn't have worried. The new tracks aren't great, and visually it's not like the graphics technology has really improved. Gameplay is pretty much the same if somewhat streamlined.

Of course if you have a compatible console and instruments already, then it could be an OK purchase, because why not. Nothing to get excited about -- that's for sure.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
Now that it's out, and I've read up on it, the game seems like basically a pointless purchase to me. Rock Band 3 is plenty and is the obvious peak of the franchise. It's got all the DLC and all the previous game soundtracks (essentially), and shit you don't like from those is all filtered out. The gameplay and menus were already perfected in RB3. It has extra features like online play and pro, even. This is a leave-well-enough-alone situation. Back when it was announced, I worried that might not be the case... but I needn't have worried. The new tracks aren't great, and visually it's not like the graphics technology has really improved. Gameplay is pretty much the same if somewhat streamlined.

Of course if you have a compatible console and instruments already, then it could be an OK purchase, because why not. Nothing to get excited about -- that's for sure.
While that logic certainly is sound, you cant get any more updates to Rock Band 3, no more DLC looks to be added to that and Rock Band 4 is an expanding platform, its kind of like the Destiny of the music games. They arent going to do another release for quite some time, its going to be built upon with more songs and added features over time.

Pro mode is all there, pro cymbals are coming out for the drum kit this Christmas, its all there that matters. Online I never ever used, so I could care less about that, but if you have all of the old stuff and dont care about new music to play, then stick with Rock Band 3

Shoeless, how do you know if you are able to access the songs they lost the rights to? I already exported the full Rock Band 1 and 2 soundtracks (the songs that were supported at that time) but what else is actually still available? I think most of whats missing is from the physical copies of the games, well those and a lot of the Rock Band Network stuff isnt there yet either.....of course a lot of this could be added over time, I know they said not everything would be there right from the get go....but to start I already have 230 songs with the new soundtrack and the DLC I can access. But there are still a few songs that I know I bought that its saying I didnt, so some kinks still need worked out for sure
Old 10-14-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post

To me, the purchase was so I didn't have to boot up my PS3 every time I wanted to play Rock Band. And then yeah, the new songs and future DLC.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 10-14-2015, 11:08 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Shoeless, how do you know if you are able to access the songs they lost the rights to? I already exported the full Rock Band 1 and 2 soundtracks (the songs that were supported at that time) but what else is actually still available? I think most of whats missing is from the physical copies of the games, well those and a lot of the Rock Band Network stuff isnt there yet either.....of course a lot of this could be added over time, I know they said not everything would be there right from the get go....but to start I already have 230 songs with the new soundtrack and the DLC I can access. But there are still a few songs that I know I bought that its saying I didnt, so some kinks still need worked out for sure
The Rock Band network songs are just off the table. At least for now. That was a completely different legal agreement where Harmonix didn't license ANY of the RBN stuff, that was all put out by the owners of the songs themselves, so the only the way it's going to happen in RB4 is Harmonix and the others return to the negotiating table. Which means no Stan Bush's "The Touch," which is really bumming me out.

As far as the other songs go, there are a few that are missing for sure. Most the Metallica stuff is gone, since they didn't renew that deal once they got GH: Metallica. A few obscure Euro bands like Tokio Hotel didn't renew their licenses so those won't be coming back up for sale. The only way we'll know what the actual casualty count is for sure is when Harmonix announces what songs won't be making the cut.

Right now they're still working on re-importing all the disc-based songs, and getting the existing DLC library sorted out, since quite a few songs are either bugged, or still not yet available. A good chunk of the old DLC library is already back up though. I didn't even realize Coldplay had an RB pack and bought that just yesterday.