'Toy Soldiers: War Chest (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM
HDD Editor

Default 'Toy Soldiers: War Chest (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Toy Soldiers: War Chest (Xbox One)' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/25021..._xbox_one.html
Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 PM

I pretty much agree with this review except for this one part.

Quote:
There are different effects for the turrets, like the bubblegum launchers of Starbright compared to the conventional machine guns of the Kaiser, but for all intents and purposes they are the same gun.
The different turrets for each faction do fill the same "slot" as the other heroes, but only in the sense that there are 4 basic turrets. Anti-Infantry, Anti-Armor, Anti-Air, and Artillery. The turrets themselves though, while in the instance of Starbright vs Kaiser fulfill the same function, they do operate differently and have unique advantages and disadvantages over the other. Kaisers Anti-Infantry turret is a machine gun that has good range, and fast reload, but has midline damage and the accuracy isn't quite as good the further from the target you are . Starbrights on the other hand shoots bubbles which do slightly less damage and has great accuracy, but it's range is more limited than Kaisers.
I find that each army has it's pluses and minuses. Of the original 4 heroes, Phantom's I think is clearly the best for power. Kaiser would probably be next along with Darklord and then finally Starbright.
Darklord has absolutely the worst Anti-Air turret in the game (limited range of motion and it shoots out spears which have to make direct contact) although his artillery is pretty awesome (great range and damage).

Of the expansion heroes though, I find that GI Joe /Cobra are basically the same and are much better than any other army in the game (of what I have played). I have yet to try Ezio and He-Man though, so that may change.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM

There are differences sure, but they're relatively subtle and I felt like I was shooting a similar gun with different effects, especially among the anti-infantry weapons. Except for the Dark Lord's speargun, I agree that it is cumbersome.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi van Tine View Post
There are differences sure, but they're relatively subtle and I felt like I was shooting a similar gun with different effects, especially among the anti-infantry weapons. Except for the Dark Lord's speargun, I agree that it is cumbersome.
Yeah, it's subtle but it does change your game style a bit. I tried doing Tuesday's Weekly War mission yesterday with Starbright and was not having much fun. Switched over to Kaiser and had no problem.