'Rare Replay (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Brian Hoss's Avatar
HDD Editor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,840
Default 'Rare Replay (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review

The 'Rare Replay' review is up.

http://games.highdefdigest.com/22993..._xbox_one.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 PM
CaptainArcher's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,205
Default

5 star compilation. This review is fairly depressing. For me personally the Grabbed by the Ghoulies upgrade to 1080p 60fps alone is worth $30.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Brian Hoss's Avatar
HDD Editor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,840
Default

Aside from some beloved classics (mainly from the N64 and 8-bit eras), I love doing the challenges. The compilation has crashed on me a few times, but always when a game or a challenge was loading (as opposed to during play). Other wise it has behaved well. Close to a must-own in my eyes for the price. On the downside, I never thought I would own a copy of 'Kameo' or 'Perfect Dark Zero.' (Would much rather have 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' or some of the missing Nintendo titles.)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2015, 01:42 PM
CorruptedDragon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hoss View Post
Aside from some beloved classics (mainly from the N64 and 8-bit eras), I love doing the challenges. The compilation has crashed on me a few times, but always when a game or a challenge was loading (as opposed to during play). Other wise it has behaved well. Close to a must-own in my eyes for the price. On the downside, I never thought I would own a copy of 'Kameo' or 'Perfect Dark Zero.' (Would much rather have 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' or some of the missing Nintendo titles.)
Same thing here. I've been playing the snapshots lately and I've had a few crashes when it finishes. Luckily, when I re-start, it did record that I finished that challenge and gave me the stamp.

Most of the older games are pretty blah, but the challenges do make them fun and worth at least trying just for the stamps.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2015, 02:28 PM
weasl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,800
Default

It's always interesting to see what games lead to where different gamers are today. Seems like most of the Xbox gamers evolved from playing SNES and N64 games and know the games in this collection while I've played 2 of them (Battletoads and Grabbed By the Ghoulies) at friends houses.

Sign me up when someone starts pumping out Origin, Sir-tech, and Lucasarts collections for consoles though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Shadow of Death's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,574
Default

This is a collection I'd rather like to have, but I don't have an XB1. Getting consoles just isn't really worth it anymore to me, not for the few exclusives, not when many end up ported to PC in the end anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 PM
CaptainArcher's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,205
Default

Practically NO games that define me as a gamer end up on PC. Have never understood "gaming PC" - no God of war I know of - uncharted - sly cooper..gunvalkyrie, panzer dragoon orta... an endless list of must plays before you die really.. have never understood how most PC gamers think "most games end up on PC"..not in my world.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Bane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
Practically NO games that define me as a gamer end up on PC. Have never understood "gaming PC" - no God of war I know of - uncharted - sly cooper..gunvalkyrie, panzer dragoon orta... an endless list of must plays before you die really.. have never understood how most PC gamers think "most games end up on PC"..not in my world.
Because you have a very narrow world.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 AM
weasl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
Practically NO games that define me as a gamer end up on PC. Have never understood "gaming PC" - no God of war I know of - uncharted - sly cooper..gunvalkyrie, panzer dragoon orta... an endless list of must plays before you die really.. have never understood how most PC gamers think "most games end up on PC"..not in my world.
Growing up a had a SNES with almost no games, and a PC (and later a PS1 for fighting games). I played a shit ton of great PC games that are classic from pretty much every genre and most of which never made it to consoles. I mean people go on and on and on about games like Golden Eye and I can't really wrap my head around it since at the time I was playing shit like Quake and Unreal on PC.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 AM
Brian Hoss's Avatar
HDD Editor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
Same thing here. I've been playing the snapshots lately and I've had a few crashes when it finishes. Luckily, when I re-start, it did record that I finished that challenge and gave me the stamp.

Most of the older games are pretty blah, but the challenges do make them fun and worth at least trying just for the stamps.
Yeah, I somehow got all of the stamps on 'Atic Atac' without really understanding much of the game. The Rare guys said they had a goal of making the Rare Replay be a better experience than the various CD-Rom collections, and I think they did a good job of that. (The 'Konami Collector's Series: Castlevania & Contra' comes to mind.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review Brian Hoss Game Room 7 10-22-2014 01:02 PM
'Polk 4 Shot Xbox One Gaming Headset (Xbox One)' - High-Def Digest Review Brian Hoss Game Room 2 08-23-2014 12:48 PM
Rare or VERY rare Blu-Ray's? Anyone have titles? Chickengas Blu-ray Software General Discussion 58 05-06-2009 04:11 PM
Which movies have the highest replay value? Need your advice SweetBrownsugar HD DVD Software General Discussion 31 12-21-2007 09:42 AM
Smash Bros Brawl gets replay sharing Master X Game Room 1 10-25-2007 09:51 PM


Tags
rare, replay, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off