Playstation Vita, Anyone got some info for me? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-04-2015, 09:50 AM

Default Playstation Vita, Anyone got some info for me?

Well since I recently grabbed a PS4, I was seriously considering grabbing a Playstation Vita for the cross buy and remote play features. I've bought a bunch of handhelds over the years and always trade them in shortly after getting them as I find that it takes time away from my console playing, but to have the ability to stream my PS4 games and to play all of the indies on this thing that I already bought, I think it might be a worthwhile purchase that I will actually keep longer than any other handheld I've had before.

Only problem is though is that the system isnt really getting any more decent support, are there good games FOR the Vita that are worth picking up? Or could this thing really survive for me by streaming my PS4 games and utilizing PS Plus for titles and indies? I think it probably could.

Does anyone else have one? What would you recommend based on what you play and what good games are worth grabbing, I like those old school RPGs that handhelds usually get and of course platformers like the indie games that are out on the PS4 are always great for these systems, I already got Spelunky and Fez, so to grab one I probably wouldnt even have to buy anything right yet. Also whats up with the memory crap, I can get a good bundle that comes with Borderlands 2 and an 8 gig memory card, but is that enough space to do anything or do I need to spend more to get a bigger memory card (as I see the prices for their proprietary junk is pretty high)

Thanks all
Old 06-04-2015, 11:49 AM

I've had a Vita since day one. Can't say I get much use out of it unless a PSV port of Disgaea is released, in which case I'll play a good 100+ hours on that game.

There are good games on it, no doubt, but I don't console game much. I mostly have a Vita for the aforementioned Disgaea games, especially when I happen to leave my PC on the rare vacation.

If you are a PS+ member already, you'll probably find at least some value in it. Whether it's worth a purchase on it's own just for that is another matter (doubtful).

Basically, see what sort of games there actually are for the device. If you don't see any/much that pique your interest, give it a pass I suppose.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Watcher of stances

i bought mine primarily for remote play and it works phenomenally except for the lack of L2/R2 triggers.
most games are ok but some games heavily rely on L2/R2 and makes this cumbersome but buttons can be remapped now.
unless you don't live with someone that dominates the TV and you can leave the room to play elsewhere, this feature isn't as great.
i use it sometime to play while waiting for an oil change as well.

while most of the best vita titles are ports, there are a couple standout titles like tearaway and gravity rush
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/25...ion-vita-games

the memory prices are garbage, sometimes you can get a deal on a 32GB around 40$.
i bit the bullet and got an imported 64GB for 90$ so i don't have to worry about space.
8GB isn't much, most games are 2-3 GB.
BL2 is pretty good after numerous patches if you're convinced on that bundle

i prefer my model with the OLED screen but the newer model has other advantages like battery life/weight.
wouldn't buy one until after E3 just in case they announce a new model (unlikely)
Old 06-04-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
wouldn't buy one until after E3 just in case they announce a new model (unlikely)
That is unlikely but I think a price cut isn't.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Don't forget you also gain access to a large amount of digital PSP and PSOne titles as well with the vita. There's a lot of great old school RPGs like Suikoden 1-2, Xenogears FF 1-9, Legend of Dragoon, and Parasite Eve.

Honestly if you like RPGs and Indies that's pretty much what makes the Vita shine. Personal picks for games would be Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush, Killzone: Mercenery, Disgaea 3 & 4, Danganronpa 1&2 and Zero Escape. Also on the PSP Trails in the Sky is a great old school RPG.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
i bought mine primarily for remote play and it works phenomenally except for the lack of L2/R2 triggers.
most games are ok but some games heavily rely on L2/R2 and makes this cumbersome but buttons can be remapped now.
unless you don't live with someone that dominates the TV and you can leave the room to play elsewhere, this feature isn't as great.
i use it sometime to play while waiting for an oil change as well.

while most of the best vita titles are ports, there are a couple standout titles like tearaway and gravity rush
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/25...ion-vita-games

the memory prices are garbage, sometimes you can get a deal on a 32GB around 40$.
i bit the bullet and got an imported 64GB for 90$ so i don't have to worry about space.
8GB isn't much, most games are 2-3 GB.
BL2 is pretty good after numerous patches if you're convinced on that bundle

i prefer my model with the OLED screen but the newer model has other advantages like battery life/weight.
I think you mean this link.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...nsed&sort=desc
Old 06-04-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind both of those are getting PS4 versions now.

It's mostly as Weasl says, only get a Vita if you are into Japanese games. Now having a PS4, you have access to most if not all indies on Vita so that's not a big plus.

The two vita games I have (I'm limited to Playstation TV compatible titles, mind) are EDF 2017 and Persona 4 Golden, and all the games I plan to get for it are pretty Japanese like the Danganronpas, EDF 2, Persona Dancing All Night, and Oreshika. If titles like these don't appeal to you you may be best walking away.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Watcher of stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Don't forget you also gain access to a large amount of digital PSP and PSOne titles as well with the vita. There's a lot of great old school RPGs like Suikoden 1-2, Xenogears FF 1-9, Legend of Dragoon, and Parasite Eve.

Honestly if you like RPGs and Indies that's pretty much what makes the Vita shine. Personal picks for games would be Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush, Killzone: Mercenery, Disgaea 3 & 4, Danganronpa 1&2 and Zero Escape. Also on the PSP Trails in the Sky is a great old school RPG.
true, it also adds bilinear filtering to PS1 games and can shorten load times.
i picked up dino crisis when it were on sale and have been enjoying it
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Buy a PSTV instead. $40 at Best Buy right now and it plays most of the Vita games people like anyway.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:05 PM

That Trails in the Sky games looks great. I would love to play an old school RPG like that again. Wish they would bring things like that out for consoles still....