Gears of War 1 remaster coming to XB1 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 PM

Default Gears of War 1 remake coming to XB1

Surprising absolutely no one. I just hope this is a MCC situation where the anniversary game is getting most of the attention with the others merely being upressed.

Quote:
Microsoft and Black Tusk Studios are developing a remastered version of the original Gears of War for Xbox One, sources tell Polygon.

The re-release of Gears of War for Xbox One will include updated visuals and reworked cutscenes, courtesy of animation studio Plastic Wax, according to a source. Stills of Gears of War's remade opening cinematic were shown to Polygon, offering a new look at the Locust invasion with updated visuals.

Microsoft acquired the Gears of War property from Epic Games in 2014. The company brought on Fergusson and tasked Black Tusk Studios with continued development of the Xbox and PC franchise. Xbox head Phil Spencer has indicated that Microsoft wants to get back to basics with Gears of War.

"The thing that was great about the early Gears of War games, to me, was just the epic scale of the settings that I was in," Spencer said in an interview last year. "The story, the setting was a lot more what I would call soulful and maybe even a little dark. I think the game over time became almost more of a parody of itself; not for any kind of horrible reasons. It's hard to continue to manage the IP."

Gears of War turns 10 years old in 2016. The first game in the series was released on Xbox 360 in November 2006, and was ported to Windows PC the following year.

Polygon has reached out to Microsoft and Black Tusk Studios for comment on Gears of War for Xbox One.

Update: According to another source, Brink and Dirty Bomb developer Splash Damage is working on the Xbox One remaster of Gears of War. The U.K.-based studio has several job listings that say it's working on a "very well known and highly popular AAA title with next gen technology." We've reached out to Splash Damage for comment.

Polygon
And someone grabbed a pic of their test version:
Spoiler
Attached Thumbnails
Gears of War 1 remaster coming to XB1-1223380202844603683.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 PM

Honestly, it being made in the most recent version of Unreal 3 would be good enough. Kinda hope they put in UE4. That would be neato.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:05 PM

So uh, is it just Gears 1 being remastered?

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
Only one that matters, Ben.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Only one that matters, Ben.
Sure, but I'm wondering if it's going down that horrible trend of being $40 like the God of War 3 remaster.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Sure, but I'm wondering if it's going down that horrible trend of being $40 like the God of War 3 remaster.
It'll be free in like two months. We all know this.

Spoiler
Actually, if Splash Damage is working on it...might not. They are a solid company, even if Brink was meh. I really like them and they are truly responsible for pretty much the modern "team based" game. RTCW MP was truly ahead of its time.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 PM

I'm hoping we get a Steam release 6 months later. I'd love to play through it at QHD and 60fps.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
I'm hoping we get a Steam release 6 months later. I'd love to play through it at QHD and 60fps.
I consider Gears on PC dead. I just don't believe it's going to happen. Still pissed that I'm locked out of my Games for Windows copy.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post

I consider Gears on PC dead. I just don't believe it's going to happen. Still pissed that I'm locked out of my Games for Windows copy.
Didn't someone make a hack to get around that?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Kind of looks that way, hence my hoping it's really a MMC type deal. As for PC, I really doubt it any time in the near future. MS would be foolish to put Halo and Gears on it.