HTC/Steam Vive getting a rather positive pre-review: - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 PM

Default HTC/Steam Vive getting a rather positive pre-review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...s-on,4102.html

Quote:
I recently tried HTC's and Valve’s Vive VR headset. I cried. And grinned. And laughed. And had one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in my life. I was also in Barcelona (at Mobile World Congress) for the first time, and while it's definitely an amazing city, sadly (or not) my memory of that week is probably going to be of it being the one when I lost my VR virginity.

I should also note that in the process of losing my VR virginity, I’ve gone from being mildly interested in the technology to now being a full-blown VR fanatic.

Quote:
The Vive uses two screens (one 1080 x 1200 screen per eye for a total resolution of 2160 x 1200) that refresh at 90 Hz, which also then requires the PC hardware to maintain a constant 90 fps. Although this last feature isn’t controlled by the Vive itself, you can be sure that the minimum hardware specs recommended by Valve and HTC will be high enough to ensure that it can push that framerate in every SteamVR title.

Quote:
It was this demo where I cried. Not because it was immeasurably better-looking (though it was) or more interactive than the others, but because it was the first time that the magnitude of what the Vive would allow hit me. Valve’s Half-life/Portal universe is one that I’ve be able experience for almost 20 years of my life, but it has always been as an outsider looking through a window into that world. I currently game using a triple monitor setup, headphones, and an insistence that I only play when there is nothing else to distract me to maximize my immersion into the game world. However, my current setup can’t hold a candle to the level of immersion I got when playing this demo.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:43 PM

Is that a Bumble Bee face mask?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasl View Post
Is that a Bumble Bee face mask?
Or Wall-E!...!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:35 PM
HDD Contributor

Still excited by the Vive, but I'm incredibly curious how much they're going to price it at.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Still excited by the Vive, but I'm incredibly curious how much they're going to price it at.
I heard it was a firm $200. Don't quote me on it though.

I am more than excited. I just see 1) apps beyond gamind, 2) an insane 3D display for regular 3D gaming and 3D movie watching.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:44 AM

Yeah, I've been wondering. VR rigs can be used for 3D movie watching on computers right? Would they work with existing software, like PowerDVD, or would separate software be needed?

That high requirement for FPS is the thing that worries me the most. I think I remember hearing 75hz (so 75FPS) quoted for the Oculus? That could just be the dev kits though.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:52 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
I heard it was a firm $200. Don't quote me on it though.

I am more than excited. I just see 1) apps beyond gamind, 2) an insane 3D display for regular 3D gaming and 3D movie watching.
I'm going to remain on the skeptical side of that. I don't think even Sony is going to be able to get Project Morpheus down to $199, and that's only a headset. If the Vive "complete package" is the headset, two "wand" controllers and that Lighthouse laser sensor set up, I can't see it being less than $400 at best, $700 at most. But they're positioning themselves as the premium VR experience, so, having already warned people about that, I don't think anyone is seriously expecting it to be cheaper than Oculus Rift and I can't see that being less than $300 either.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
Yeah, I've been wondering. VR rigs can be used for 3D movie watching on computers right? Would they work with existing software, like PowerDVD, or would separate software be needed?

That high requirement for FPS is the thing that worries me the most. I think I remember hearing 75hz (so 75FPS) quoted for the Oculus? That could just be the dev kits though.
Vive is 1080x1200 per screen, x 2 screens, @ 90hz. That's a lot of pixels moving quickly, but if their thing is going to mostly rely on the Source engine, that shouldn't be a big issue. That engine is so well optimized anything on par with a 680 or greater should be in the clear.

Now if they allow other engines that are less optimized, that could be a problem. But it seems like they are putting their name on it for a reason. With all the major engines going free to use lately, it seems like there will be little reason not to use Source for it.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I'm going to remain on the skeptical side of that. I don't think even Sony is going to be able to get Project Morpheus down to $199, and that's only a headset. If the Vive "complete package" is the headset, two "wand" controllers and that Lighthouse laser sensor set up, I can't see it being less than $400 at best, $700 at most. But they're positioning themselves as the premium VR experience, so, having already warned people about that, I don't think anyone is seriously expecting it to be cheaper than Oculus Rift and I can't see that being less than $300 either.
Yup, probably right.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...alves-vive-vr/
Old 03-31-2015, 05:59 PM

If the Vive emerges out of the gate with only Source games, it's going to have a hard time getting much traction IMO, especially if it is on the premium side of the price range.

They better get dev kits out to big developers ASAP, if they haven't already.